IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-05-2002, 09:05 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
High Pitched Shrill Squeal

Hi All,

Has anyone experienced the following:

For the last month my '92 LSL (SVXY) has beem emitting a high pitched shrill squeal from the right side brakes. I think it is from the rear brake. The interesting thing is the condition under which the sound starts. It occurs on trailing throttle usually after the brakes are warmed up. The sound starts low in volume and gets louder from around 10 mph to 50 mph. The sound disappears about 60-65 mph. The sound stops when I apply the brakes. I does not stop when I apply the parking brake. I cannot tell if ti is the fornt or rear right brake. It sounds like it comes from the from when listening from outside the car, but it sounds like it comes from the rear when I am inside the car.

I can live with it for a while longer. It seems to be temperature influenced. The hotter it is the more it occurs. What has me baffled is that it disappears at higher speeds. I will have the right side brakes looked at in about a month.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Larry III
Old 08-05-2002, 09:56 AM

Have you looked at the condition of the pads? It could be the wear indicator.
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:02 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to svxqueen
Hi Larry,
I had the same thing happen to me. The mechanic said it was my brakes which I didn't understand since I only heard it while I was driving not braking. So I replaced the brakes and voila the noise was gone. I don't understand it but it worked!
Old 08-06-2002, 12:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Larry,

You know, it's a shame we don't have a specific forum for technical questions like these. Hell, maybe we could even have a couple of them - one specifically monitored by an 'expert' of sorts.

I would just have the brakes looked at. Your caliper could be sticking, or it could just be the wear indicators, as mattski suggested. If it's the latter, then your pads are just badly worn. If it's the former, then some mechanical problem is causing the pads to remain forcefully against the rotor, wearing them rapidly. Either way, that squealing is probably an indicator that your pads are nearing the end of their useful lives.

Amanda, just because it happens when you're not braking doesn't mean it's not your brakes. There are plenty of noises that occur when the brakes are not applied. The pads pretty much ride right on the rotors, so any number of noises can be caused by rotor warpage, caliper problems, etc. My wife's Legacy made horrible noises from the right rear while turning. One look at the pads in the right rear showed me that a sticking caliper had caused the inner pad to wear past the friction material, right down to the metal.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-06-2002, 02:15 PM

are you sure it is coming from the brakes? i had a high pitch shreak coming from my rear tire at one point--SCARED THE LIVING POOPIE out of me, especially cuz i was on a major highway doing like 85 mph. it turned out that i had bottomed out a bit and a piece of the metal was touching the thingy that goes to the tires. just got underneath "Dimples" and pulled it away and that was that.

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Kelli, your post was too technical for me to understand. Could you explain "the thingy that goes to the tires" and "dimples" in layman's terms?

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX
it turned out that i had bottomed out a bit and a piece of the metal was touching the thingy that goes to the tires. just got underneath "Dimples" and pulled it away and that was that.
Old 08-07-2002, 08:51 AM
Lowered SVX

i think my brake shims are not doing their job.....

when i go over bumps i hear a rattle coming from up front like everything is loose........
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 08-07-2002, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kuoh
Kelli, your post was too technical for me to understand. Could you explain "the thingy that goes to the tires" and "dimples" in layman's terms?

KuoH

well Dimples is my car's new name cuz of her little dent problem. and you know the big cylinder that goes from the front to the back of the car down the middle that has something to do with the tires? well there is a piece of flat metal that was rubbing up against the cylinder that was making that noise on my car. i don't know names of anything, sorry, but someone tell me what it is so i know for next time.

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 08-07-2002, 02:05 PM
Lowered SVX

kelli......

if this comment is sexist then i am sorry......but your last post was cute. that is something my wife would write.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"