Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-22-2007, 01:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
ok I'm going to ask the obvious question that no one bothered to ask.... is your check engine light on? I'm not sure it could be a bad cam angle senor usually the car wont start then.. its not a MAF the other symptoms don't line up (the super hot exhaust). it does sound like a clogged cat, if you can remove it with out any trouble then try that, but removing old exhaust systems is never easy. You can see if your car is still runs rough after you remove the exhaust. Also since other people have mentioned the timing belt as a possibility, and I agree a timing belt being off by a tooth would cause a horrible running engine and a extreme lack of power you can also remove the timing cover on the drivers side and check the condition of the timing belt and see if its still timed correctly by lining up the 1 cylinder to TDC of the intake stroke

good luck
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 11-22-2007, 01:39 PM

I go with Tom, its electronic, don't think the cats block that easy mine have 400,000 k on them and they still work so I can't seem it being a problem. My car is losing power some times and I am going to change the Cam angle sensor.
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:17 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
I go with Tom, its electronic, don't think the cats block that easy mine have 400,000 k on them and they still work so I can't seem it being a problem. My car is losing power some times and I am going to change the Cam angle sensor.

Not specifically electronic. The reason I am saying it is the timing belt is this

1. The passenger side of the engine is not monitored by a crank angle sensor, so if the timing belt jumps a tooth or two or three, the ECU does not pick this up or throw a code

2. If the timing is off, It will open the exhaust valves early which in turn will dump the little compression it has right away along with all that burning fuel which will make the header glow red and for the rest of the exhaust to burn all that oil,grease, and road grime off the pipes. This will also cause the engine to run VERY poorly since 3 cylinders are getting next to no compression.

I hope this helps

Tom
Old 11-23-2007, 08:28 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
This was almost exactly the reason that we towed my car to philly in august. My water pump seized and made my timing belt jump. My passenger side exhaust was SCORCHING hot and the car ran like garbage. This can happen just as quickly as an electrical issue. I am with YT on this.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 11-23-2007, 12:34 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
fyi I've had oil leaking on my passenger side from an unknown area for a while now, so I was thinking maybe it's been building up in the cat on that side. Anyways yeah I'll have him check the water pump and timing for problems.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:27 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
One of the pre-cats blew up, damaging the main cat. We unhooked the exhaust and the engine ran fine (sounded cool too ). We're just going to punch out all three cats and she should be good to go. It should be a bit quicker now too, since the car's always been dog slow at upper rpm's.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Maniac modifier

doesn't make sense to be honest. But if it fixes it, thats always a good thing. I still highly suggest making sure the timing in good, you just need to pop the drivers and pass side timing covers.

tom
Old 11-25-2007, 04:35 PM
I brought some ham.

I was trying to replace the driver's side o2 sensor the day before, and it wouldn't budge. I put a wrench on it and was banging away with a rubber mallet. I think that may have shook the baffles loose or something, but that side blew up and clogged the other side somehow. Anyways, we'll see how it runs once he's done.

I'm changing out my cam seals in a few days I'll check the timing when I do that.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:38 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
I was trying to replace the driver's side o2 sensor the day before, and it wouldn't budge. I put a wrench on it and was banging away with a rubber mallet. I think that may have shook the baffles loose or something, but that side blew up and clogged the other side somehow. Anyways, we'll see how it runs once he's done.

I'm changing out my cam seals in a few days I'll check the timing when I do that.
You will have to... Good luck

Tom