Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-12-2007, 10:03 AM

Send a message via MSN to IceBlade
Alarm

Hey, everyone.

I've been browsing the forums for a couple days now searching topics, looking for answers but I have a question about the alarm.

I live in Canada but my SVX is American. It's the '94 L model. 2WD I think but I haven't checked and to be honest I don't even know how to check. Yeah so I read on these forums that the American models came with an alarm system while the Canadian versions came with heated seats. I also read that there's a 'Security' button on the dash somewhere but I've looked and I don't appear to have one. Where is this button supposed to be exactly and is there any other way to see if the alarm is still there? I don't really care about the alarm but I'd like to get a keyless entry remote.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
Yours is the fwd model. the l and ls models didn't come with a security alarm only the lsi models for that year did. the button would be located on the panel with the cruise and fog lights. hope this helps
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 10-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Your USDM car was, however, pre-wired for the factory alarm. If your SVX has the front passenger airbag, then the alarm harness is in the trunk. Beneath the blank button cover on the dash is a real pushbutton. The blank can be removed and replaced with the "Security" button cap.

You can install a factory module (I don't recommend, as they tend to die; definitely not worth the dealer price for a new one), or connect an aftermarket alarm brain to the factory harness. There are a couple of older threads here that will tell you more about that.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
i learn something new for once where exactly is it located in trunk (curious)
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 10-12-2007, 01:09 PM
SVX Owner

Registered SVX
My 94 L doesn't have passenger airbag

Aftermarket alarm system is installed behind/above the glove compartment.
Little blinky led is on switch blank where mirror heat should be. (L model: No heated mirrors either.) Plan to move it to security button as soon as I get a button.
'99 Outback SUS, 2.5L, Winestone (Burgundy/Gray) [Daughter Killed it]
'02 Outback SUS VDC, 3.0L, Green/Gray [Spouse's; Died at 500,000+]
'18 Legacy w/eyesight, Blue [Spouse's]
'94 Subaru Sambar KS-4, White [Farm UTV]
'94 Ford Ranger Extended Cab, Tomato Red
Old 10-12-2007, 01:27 PM

Send a message via MSN to IceBlade
Thanks a lot, guys. That's what I wanted to know
Old 10-17-2007, 02:24 PM
SVX- My daily driving Corvette

Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post
Your USDM car was, however, pre-wired for the factory alarm. If your SVX has the front passenger airbag, then the alarm harness is in the trunk. Beneath the blank button cover on the dash is a real pushbutton. The blank can be removed and replaced with the "Security" button cap.

You can install a factory module (I don't recommend, as they tend to die; definitely not worth the dealer price for a new one), or connect an aftermarket alarm brain to the factory harness. There are a couple of older threads here that will tell you more about that.
If I am reading you right, I can just buy an aftermarket alarm and it will just "plug" into the harness ( the white/yellowish plug) that I saw in my truck area by the speakers? No other wiring is nessary?
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 10-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorSVXette View Post
If I am reading you right, I can just buy an aftermarket alarm and it will just "plug" into the harness ( the white/yellowish plug) that I saw in my trunk area by the speakers? No other wiring is necessary?
Yes — all of the connections that most aftermarket systems need are available via the factory harness.

The document in the How-To area is here:
How-To-Documents >> Security System >> After Market Alarm Set-up (PDF file)
Aftermarket systems have their own wires that they expect you'll simply tap or splice into your car's wiring.

Phatweasel (Nate, who wrote the above document) bought some pins from Digi-Key that fit the OEM harness and soldered those onto the ends of the aftermarket wires. But his are only held in by being taped or tie-wrapped into place; Digi-Key does not have the mating connector shell.

I have available the 17-pin connector shell that mates with the OEM harness, along with the proper pins that snap into the shell. PM me if interested.