Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-12-2007, 12:26 AM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
OK so the new pearlie has some issues I need help with!

First off is the trans but I'm gonna figure that one out on Saturday. (Doesn't do ANYTHING in any gear range, no RPM drop, engine doesn't load up, nothing, although I have noticed a slight RPM rise between N and D)

-> Only the driver's side front speakers work. Rear speakers, nada, and the fade/balance knob won't pull out like the bass-treble knob does, although I think it is stuck in "fader" mode since when I turn it to the left I get no sound, turn it to the middle and extreme right and I get sound out of the driver's side front speakers.

-> I don't have the keyless entry transmitter, which other Subaru remotes will interchange? or am I better off with an aftermarket one?

-> When the engine is first started the engine will rev up and drop rev up and drop a few times and then stabilize.. Sticky IAC?

That's about the only "problems" with it, aside from cosmetic things (stitching coming apart in the seats, etc..)

Can I swap in the heated seats out of a later model, or is that a wiring nightmare?

I'm such an SVX newbie lol, I know a lot about Subarus but these things are so different from any other Subaru...
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 10-12-2007, 11:37 AM
Graphic Artist

Quote:
-> Only the driver's side front speakers work. Rear speakers, nada, and the fade/balance knob won't pull out like the bass-treble knob does, although I think it is stuck in "fader" mode since when I turn it to the left I get no sound, turn it to the middle and extreme right and I get sound out of the driver's side front speakers.
My guess is the front pass is disconnected. You may well be right about the stereo stuck to front fade, though my guess would be this is just a wiring snafu.
Quote:
-> I don't have the keyless entry transmitter, which other Subaru remotes will interchange? or am I better off with an aftermarket one?
Original ones pop up on ebay frequently - I'd stick with stock, though there are generics available that will work (search "svx alarm") on ebay.
Quote:
-> When the engine is first started the engine will rev up and drop rev up and drop a few times and then stabilize.. Sticky IAC?
Possibly, also could be a cracked vacuum hose under the intake plenum. Not a fun job to fix, but not expensive. I usually recommend anyone replace all of their vacuum, fuel, and egr lines under the plenum, it will save you breakdowns and fuel economy later down the line.

Quote:
Can I swap in the heated seats out of a later model, or is that a wiring nightmare?
Not really a wiring nightmare, but you will have to do the wiring, US spec cars stop the wiring at the fusebox. You'll need a few properly rated relays to pass the needed current to the seats while saving the life of any switch you install.

-Patrick

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Sold my soul to Subaru

Patrick whats a plenum?...And good info by the way.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
I think he means underneath the intake manifold. there are a lot of hoses there that can crack over time there is a how to doc on how to get to them and what sizes you need.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 10-12-2007, 08:38 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondasucks View Post
If you figure this out let me know. I have EXACTLY the same problem. The door & tweet work on the DS, but no others. I tested them & they are functional, just getting no signal.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:37 AM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
I'm beginning to think it's the deck... I have a spare 1st gen Legacy deck, is the wiring the same? IF it is I'll swap decks and see if it works... If not I'll try and find a different deck for it... I have a nice MP3 CD player but I'd rather not futz with it at the moment... Top priority right now is getting it drivable, I towed it to work today, going to stick it up on the rack tomorrow and put a pressure gauge on the trans to figure out what the %*%*@ is wrong with it...

*crosses fingers and hopes it's flex plate bolts*
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta