How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Network Design Administrator

Just because someone ASKS for close to $5k for a car with a blown tranny doesnt mean they will get it. If you think you are interested in it, only for a lower price, thats between you and the seller.

If you think hes asking too high of a price... then move along. If you honestly want to help the guy, Private Message him.

Its not a lot to ask. If you sift through the history in that forum, you will see that the majority of For Sale ads are followed with "You're asking too much". Just because its too much for you, doesnt mean its too much for EVERYONE.

Thats our point. Is it that hard to see?

It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

If you are willing to pay $5.00, thats what its worth to YOU. But I might be willing to pay $50.00. And if I am, so what? Thats my business, not yours.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:26 PM

I'm sorry if I've contributed to some of the negativity on this issue. I've got no issue with whatever people want to ask for their cars. My issue is with the "Kelley Blue Book", which people regard as gospel for car pricing without really questioning the source of the information. The Kelley Blue Book is a tool started BY a dealer (Kelley Kar Kompany in 1918) FOR the benefit of dealers, often at the expense of consumers (that's how dealers make money, right?).

In my experience on both sides of the business, KBB rarely makes an accurate representation of what cars change hands for privately. Why should it, when it's heavily skewed toward dealers and dealer transactions? If I were going to price a car realistically, I'd do my own research on what similar cars are selling for. I'd consult KBB as one source, but also NADA, Edmunds.com, Auto Trader, KSLCars.com, and ebay to draw a conclusion. I HATE to ask more than a car is worth when I'm selling one, lest I endure insults from buyers, and I HATE to make insultingly-low offers, so I always research prices from several sources.

In a previous post, I mentioned purchasing four SVX's in two years for prices well below Kelley Blue Book. I did this to emphasize the inaccuracies of KBB, not to criticize the seller. The one sale I DID openly criticize was a "newbie" last year who excitedly posted about having bought an SVX with no reverse gear for $600, and a week later listed it in the 'for sale' section at $1200, having done NO work on it (he confirmed that he hadn't). I thought it was fair to point these facts out to potential buyers, and to shut down someone who appeared be a "scammer."

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner

Last edited by davew833; 05-17-2007 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:35 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren
Hiya,

I think someone has a very short or selective memory on this subject & would refer them to a post I made a few weeks ago regarding a JDM VL left hand drive! I was slated over the price being asked for the car in Japan and also personal remarks of my business acumen.

Darren
Darren,

Your accusation is unfortunate and I do not take kindly towards your sarcasm.

Your opening statement in the thread involved. ----

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38442

“I have come across probably the rarest of all SVX's!”

The concluding statement after a description of the car. ----

“If anyone is interested let me know ASAP & I will pass your details on. Only serious and genuine people please, these are people I do a lot of business with and whom my own car came through and I do not want them messed around & it looking bad on my relationship with them.”

Your post indicated that you were simply giving information to members and had no direct interest in the sale. I therefore considered that it was in the interest of members, to comment regarding the price. In no way did my comments refer to or denigrate domestic prices.

You now state that you were directly affected, which poses questions.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Network Design Administrator

I think this thread has taken its course.

If Darren and Trevor need to discuss this further, Private Messages would be appropriate.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Closed Thread