Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-12-2005, 08:17 PM
cpelsy2k1

installing aluminum radiator

hey guys,

i bought one of the rad's from PWR, the second batch and i just wanted to get some install tips from some people who have put one in. Should i replace the stock hoses? any other problems/tips? also im planning on putting red line synthetic transmission fluid any ideas on that? thanks
Old 06-13-2005, 10:48 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
You don't have to use new hoses but if you still have the originanls then keep a new set on hand just in case.

I doubt anyone has posted experiences with the "fixed" version yet.

As for the Synth ATF - I'd say go for it. Just remember that the first time you change the ATF you're only going to change about 60-70% of the fluid.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:21 PM
cpelsy2k1

i know im not supposed to flush the tranny lines, i have heard bad stories about that, and you say only change 60-70 percent of the fluid, how do i go about that?
Old 06-14-2005, 10:21 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
That's not what I meant. When you drain the ATF all that comes out is 60-70% of the total oil. The rest sits in the torque converter. Don't worry about trying to get the rest out as after a couple more changes you will have about 95% of the old oil out.

Flushing does seem to cause some trannies to fail. If flushing is done frequently it should be safe but if a tranny has never been flushed then there may be too much gunk dislodged and that will probably plug the lines/cooler/etc.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Flushing does seem to cause some trannies to fail. If flushing is done frequently it should be safe but if a tranny has never been flushed then there may be too much gunk dislodged and that will probably plug the lines/cooler/etc.
Right, "flushing" a tranny that has never been done isn't a good idea, and a reputable mechanic or tranny shop won't do it, or will at the very least tell you they aren't liable for any problems caused by doing it if you insist (and more then likely make you sign a waiver to that effect) However a simple "drain and fill" shouldn't cause any problems, but as stated won't remove "all" the fluid. Some people will say not to bother doing a drain and fill though, cause mixing the "good" (ie:new fluid) with the "bad" (you guessed it, the old fluid) is pointless as all you are doing is contaminating the new fluid.
While this may be true to a point, it won't (ok, shouldn't) cause any harm and if done often enough, most of the old will be removed, giving you as close to "pure" new fluid as you can get without doing a power flush, and without the worry associated with same.

Others will argue that powerflushing isn't what cause's a tranny to fail and if done right, will remove any of the "gunk" that could clog any lines, and that if your tranny does fail after flushing, it was on it's way out anyway and that the flushing (probably) didn't have anything to do with the failure.

Last edited by Rotorflyr; 06-14-2005 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:23 PM
cpelsy2k1

any reccamendations on the exact synthetic to drop in? i was thinking valvoline redline, but anybody prefer one over the other? also does anybody know about how much fluid im gonna need as the the new rad needs more fluid right? thanks