Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2001, 12:24 PM
sbkim

Whinning noise

Recently I noticed that there is a slight whinning noise coming from the alternator area when the car is in park and I have the A/C on. If I rev the engine, the whinning goes a way. I am not sure if the noise is really coming from the alternator or possibly where the ac pulley is. Does anyone know what may be causing this?
Old 11-07-2001, 12:29 PM
Lowered SVX

sounds like you just need to tighten....

the belts. there is an tensioner at the alternator. just needs to be adjusted.

is this sung b. kim? i thought you sold your svx? you have a c-5 now right? if you are him, when i first bought my svx i used to check your site out all the time. you have a good looking svx. needs to be lowered a little for my taste by otherwise a really nice car.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-07-2001, 03:32 PM
sbkim

Great, thanks for the reply. Any idea how this can be adjusted? I will see if this is discussed in my Hanes manual.

I still have both cars. Thanks for the kind words. The car is pretty darn low. I have no gap in the back and about 2" in the front. Instead of lowering, I thought about adding a chin spoiler to give a bit more aggressive look

Take care!
Old 11-07-2001, 04:35 PM
Lowered SVX

wait you lowered the car??

i have not been to your site in quite a while. mine is lowered two inches . do you have the koni/gc setup. i do and so far i am very happy with it. my car has a low mean scowl, check out my personal locker.

as far as the alternator tensioner is concerned any mechanic can do it for you. i have never done it myself. i am sure huck or one of the other do-it-yourselfers on this site will chime in here to help.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-07-2001, 05:30 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: wait you lowered the car??

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX

as far as the alternator tensioner is concerned any mechanic can do it for you. i have never done it myself. i am sure huck or one of the other do-it-yourselfers on this site will chime in here to help.
Yeah, it's a pretty simple procedure, first remove the belt guard, (2) 10 mm bolts (this is from memory), the take a 12 or 14mm wrench and lossen the nut on the idler pulley, then take a 12mm socket on a 6" extension and tighten the adjusting bolt till you can push the belt about 1/2" with one finger, then tighten the idler nut back up and reinstall the belt guard, and hopefully no more whine
Hopefully when you're looking under the hood this will make sense.
Good luck,
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 11-08-2001, 08:19 AM
sbkim

I do not have Koni setup. I think my shocks are starting to sag - thus lower ride height. Your car looks good. Very low.

Huck,

You da man! I will give it try this weekend. Quick question - is the adjusting bot pretty obvious? I just want to make sure I am tightening the right bolt?

Please note that this isn't a belt squeal. Rather just a whinning noise. I just want to confirm that this is still tension issue.

Thanks!

Last edited by sbkim; 11-08-2001 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-08-2001, 09:47 AM

The bolt should be fairly obvious, if it is a whining sound it might just be your power steering fluid is low, so check that first.
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 11-08-2001, 12:18 PM
Lowered SVX

i was told today by my mechanic......

that the whining could also be caused by air being in the powersteering pump. he said it was kind to put some kind of fluid in that would make it stop??

thanks for the help huck......i can help with the general trouble shooting but once it gets specific it is beyond my scope.

thanks for the compliment sbkim i really appreciate it. i have put a lot of time and money into making my car look good. i wish you the best with your car.
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-08-2001, 12:46 PM
sbkim

I haven't checked my powersteering fluid lately but I dont' think it's the problem. The noise is there only when the AC is on and the car is at idle. The noise is groaning/whinning/rattle like noise that is coming from the alternator area.

Thanks again for everyone's input!
Old 11-08-2001, 04:52 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I have had the bearings go bad in the idler pulley for the A/C belt when a tech put new belts on and didn't tighten up the locking nut and it made a noise like you describe shortly before it blew out the bearings and carved a hole in the timing belt cover

One easy trick for telling where a noise is coming from is to get a long screwdriver, put your ear on the butt of the handle and the tip of the screwdrive on the alternator, A/C pump, wherever you think the noise is coming from. etc. You will hear the noise amplified - like using a stethoscope - just remember to NOT touch it to the positive terminal on the alternator.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 11-09-2001, 10:14 AM
I look like Gordon

I'll have to try that screwdriver trick sometime. I have used the cardboard tube from the center of a roll of paper towels in a similar manner with good results.
Old 11-09-2001, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sbkim
I haven't checked my powersteering fluid lately but I dont' think it's the problem. The noise is there only when the AC is on and the car is at idle. The noise is groaning/whinning/rattle like noise that is coming from the alternator area.

Thanks again for everyone's input!
Could be the clutch on the AC compressor, the clutch bearing can make a lot of noise when it gets bad, I had one go out on a Legacy once, can't but just the bearing, have to but the whole clutch assembly, I was lucky enough to have a spare laying around.
You can probably pick one up at a wrecking yard off a Legacy, as they run the same brand compressor.
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed