Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2007, 06:20 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Thumper's Ride...

Well, since it looks like I'll be sticking with the SVX for a little longer (indefinitely?), I figured I'd start writing my experiences down. This is a journey about bringing my car back up to specs and driving her. Note at this point that she's been sitting over a year and has moved a total of 66 miles during that time. Most of that... well, a few small runs to keep her "out and about", and once to get gasoline. During her slumber she was woken once a month for about half an hour, just to run up to temperature.

So I tried to sell it. I tried... but for various reasons ended up unable to. So I decided that I'm going to drive her again, if only for a while. I'll see how things work out... I'll see if I continue to keep her or if I decide again to sell.

So today... day 1. This is the day I committed myself to my new course of action. I started my day calling around a few shops to get quotes on wheel bearing replacement. The best quote I got was actually from Sears Tire and Auto. $248 and change... and yes, I made sure I tested the guy on the phone regarding the packing grease. He succeeded So my car's scheduled for that, a wheel balance and an oil change on Saturday morning at 8am.

Next phone call; my insurance agent. He was quite surprised to hear that I was re-adding a car to my policy that I'd dropped over a year ago. He commented that's quite unusual; people usually only add new vehicles, rarely do they re-add old ones. Still, we got it added with minimal fuss. No comprehensive coverage though; my feeling is that the car's worth such a small amount on the open market that a relatively minor accident will total it. As a result, liability only. The cost? Not insignificant... but not bad either.

Finally, I got on subaruparts.com and ordered the sensor that's gone bad in the engine compartment. $168 plus $20 shipping. Oooh... that sucks... but it's got to be done.

So here we go... a few hundred bucks down on where I really wanted to be... but hopefully looking at making my SVX a roadworthy example again. I'll post an update when I have more to say.

Hope you enjoyed the ramble