Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-07-2014, 05:57 PM

Re: SVX can't climb hills

I don't have a multimeter, but if the basic stuff doesn't help, looks like it's time to invest in one finally.

As far as the fuel drain plugs go, I know the older 15.9 gallon tanks on the legacy's have a drain plug on each side of the saddle tank. I really don't want to dive into that one just yet.

I didn't get any work done tonight. It was just too cold after class, so tomorrow will be when the shenanigans happen.

Her project side is showing. I have to change that

92 SVX project/daily -112,000 miles (Sold)
91 Legacy Battlewagon -242,000 miles (RIP old girl)
Old 02-07-2014, 06:25 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Multimeters are like $5.00 at Harbor Freight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatIsThisIDont View Post
I don't have a multimeter, but if the basic stuff doesn't help, looks like it's time to invest in one finally.

As far as the fuel drain plugs go, I know the older 15.9 gallon tanks on the legacy's have a drain plug on each side of the saddle tank. I really don't want to dive into that one just yet.

I didn't get any work done tonight. It was just too cold after class, so tomorrow will be when the shenanigans happen.

Her project side is showing. I have to change that
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 02-07-2014, 06:50 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

When 2 of my coils were starting to get lazy, I would have trouble climbing hills. I agree with the other comments about checking your coils.

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:36 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Another possibility that I haven't seen mentioned is clogged cats, they will start showing under a load like a steep hill....if they are the culprit, they will probably be glowing red at the point the the car dies....REALLY easy to determine in the dark....

Just something else to think about.....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 02-08-2014, 09:28 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Please just check the coils! You should see .7 ohms of resistance across the primary (make sure that the engine is NOT running when you check this!). If they all check out correctly, pull them off one at a time and check the boot for signs of arcing (carbon path). If they're all clean, then find someone local that has an SVX and is willing to let you swap coils out with - swap one, try the hill -> no hesitation, you've got your culprit. Still hesitates, swap your coil back in and go to the next coil. Repeat until your car climbs the hill with no hesitation.

I agree with Huck about the Cats. As he mentioned, this is an easy check. You don't even have to leave the parking lot. Go out after dark, start it up, hold the revs up around 4k and have a buddy look underneath the car to see if one or more of the three Cats ('92, right?) starts glowing red. Glowing red means do not pass Go, do not collect $100, go get a replacement Cat ASAP.

Good luck.
Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-08-2014, 09:32 AM

I am seeing some great help info here. Out of my own curiousity, which wires/connectors do you check for the coil resistance ?
Old 02-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Just follow the wire coming out of the coil (on top of each spark plug) back to the connector. Disconnect the connector and put your multimeter across the right contacts.

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 02-08-2014, 02:48 PM

Update time:

I just cleaned the ground on the passenger side of the manifold.

The rtv used to seal the crack in the nipple on the airbox by the previous owner. I resealed it and hit the road.

All was well. I tried starting it on empty hills that were almost as steep as Death Hill, and took off while locked in 2nd and 3rd from a standstill with the throttle wide open. No complaints or hesitation.

Everything went well until around mile 10 of a drive when someone tried to cut through an intersection I was going through. I jumped on the gas, but the car fell on its face and had very very little power.

I pulled off and remembered that I had some Seafoam in the back, so I put it in the gas and waited. when I restarted, it would fall off under open throttle at 2k with a good bit of misfiring. I waited for a few more minutes and restarted, and it seemed ok, so I made it to the store and picked up a multimeter.

I'm leaving the store as I type this. Engine is reving well and I have half a tank of fuel. I'm going to go top it off and head home. I'll post again when there.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:05 PM

The car made it home.

I had little seafoam, so I added that when she sputtered on the way to the store and then a bottle of water remover at the store. I let it sit for about 5 mins, then idle for another 5. I drove about 2 miles at highway speed to a gas station and filled it with 93.

Right after filling the tank, I started it and the idle sounded quite sickly, though the tach read around 700 rpm steady. I pulled out gently and it stalled on flat ground. Restarted and parked it without any trouble. Let it sit for a few minutes, and then drove about 7 miles home with no issues.

I'm done working on it for the day, but I now own a multimeter, so I'll check the resistance on the coils tomorrow. I'm feeling flaky coils or contaminated fuel at this point. Tomorrow should tell me more.

Thanks for being so awesome and helpful, everybody. When the old girl is on her feet and I have the time to make it out to any meets, I owe you guys drinks

-Randy

Old 02-08-2014, 05:58 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Randy,
Did you look underneath the car to see if the Cats were glowing? The analogy here is that if they're glowing/going bad then it's like trying to run a 100 yard dash with your mouth closed and your nose clogged up.

Cheers,
Bill

My Locker
Old 02-08-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Randy,
Did you look underneath the car to see if the Cats were glowing? The analogy here is that if they're glowing/going bad then it's like trying to run a 100 yard dash with your mouth closed and your nose clogged up.

Cheers,
Bill
Not yet, I'll probably do that tonight. Do we have a preferred source of Cats?

Old 02-08-2014, 07:21 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

I'm running Magnaflow rear cats on my '92 and '97.
94007 for the '92 $97.00
99007 for the '97 $143.00
Old 02-08-2014, 09:31 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

I've replaced my front Cats with ceramic-based resonators that are intended for Mustangs (not Cats - this is why you want ceramic instead of anything with metal or fiberglass, as they can foul the main Cat, which you do want to keep). You don't want to just cut out the front Cats without replacing them with resonators, as you'll get a wicked drone off idle.

Bill

My Locker
Old 02-09-2014, 11:49 PM

I just went out and warmed the car up and then rev'd it between 4k and 5k for a minute. The cats stayed as pitch black as the heart of whichever diety hates me enough to curse me in such a way

When rev'ing, there was the occasional cough that I never noticed before. It's amazing how quiet a parking lot covered in snow is at 1:30 AM lol. So now I'm feeling the coils as a more likely candidate. I'll go out tomorrow and test them, but let me just make sure of the procedure.

-Remove coil lead on the end that doesn't end with a spark plug (words are failing me)

-There should be 2 contacts on that connector, so test the resistance between the 2. Should be around .7ohms. (For this, does it have to be .7 on the money or will anything between .5 and 1 ohm be acceptable?)

If this doesn't show anything, I'll have to grab a socket set, since all I have here is my emergency open wrench set, and take each coil off to check for where it could be arcing though the boot.

1st off, is that looking like the way to go about it?

2nd, did I miss any theories? Because if this coil thing isn't it, I'm at a complete loss as to what could be doing this.

-Randy

Old 02-10-2014, 03:53 AM

Old post which adds some useful info for you as far as Ignitor/Crank sensor integrity...the last part about resistance testing refers to sensors in general, not the test you do with the coils. For those watching this thread....anyway to easily show timing belt hasn't jumped ?

Beav
Not as old as Randy Join Date: Nov 2001

I've washed many different engines over many years and have yet to cause any more problem than a wet distributor cap or spark plug wires (neither of which are present on an SVX.) And I also don't take the time to cover wiring, etc., other than to take care to not spray directly into the throttle.

Try this: take a test light and probe an injector connector with the key on. You should find power at both terminals, they work by switching the ground on and off. Watch while someone cranks the engine, one terminal should stay lit at all times, the other will flash very faintly and briefly as the ground is only switched at approx. 3.5 ms intervals. A short time, to be sure, but a careful eye can detect the flash. If it flashes your crank sensor is o.k., as is the ECU. Now either remove one coil and use an old spark plug to watch for spark while someone cranks the engine (making sure to have the spark plug shell grounded to the engine and I'd recommend not holding it with your hand.) You should find a bright blue spark, indicating the ECU and the ignitor and wiring is o.k.

Testing engine controls, etc. with an ohmmeter really isn't a very reliable way of checking anything. Basing a diagnosis solely on resistance readings will more than likely send you on a wild goose chase.