SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-25-2014, 08:30 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
OEM external Transmission filter

Just occurred to me that after 20+ years I've never changed the transmission filter that Subaru installed retroactively to help with the transmission overheat problem.

Anyone done this?
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:09 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: OEM external Transmission filter

I was not aware Subaru had ever done that. My '97 doesn't have one.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:41 AM

My '97 has one, it's an external spin on type. It would seem early SVXs' had an issue with the internal filter plugging up, which reduced the flow and led to fried transmissions, but I've never read anything about exactly when the external filter stsrted being used. The external acts like a regular oil filter if it gets plugged up, the bypass opens. If it was partially plugged, there would still be both some filtration, and still be flow. Actually, if it was installed retroactively, was it a recall? TSB? Put in if it was rebuilt under warrantee? Maybe Blacky missed a recall.

The external spin on makes a partial fluid change a breeze. Fresh filter and 4 litres of synthetic every other oil change for my piece of mind. It, ( at least the one I use ) isn't likely to be found at "Quicky Lube" . If you're not doing it yourself, order one in advance.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

HERE is the original Subaru TSB regarding the auxiliary filter kit.

Note that it says "The filter is designed to be maintenance free under normal driving conditions. It will not require periodic replacement. The only time replacement is necessary is in case of a transmission failure which leads to excessive metal contamination of the fluid."

Once the problems with the earlier transmissions were eliminated and the ATF cooler screen was removed from the radiator, Subaru stopped using them. The applicability of this kit was for 1992 SVX UP TO AND INCLUDING NH106285

You can find a similar replacement from B&M. At least parts will be available.
http://www.amazon.com/80277-Universa.../dp/B000CIKJMY

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 10-25-2014, 02:31 PM

@SVXCESS... excellent post!

Personally though, I'll take exception with Subaru's claim that it's maintenance free. Perhaps they feel that by the time the filter is plugged with foreign material, the 4EAT is toast anyways. Perhaps they thought that requiring the filter to be changed on a regular basis would leave them culpable for repair cost further on down the road. Who knows?

I recently purchased a brand new John Deere. Imagine my shock when I read the warrantee.. 120 hours. Yup, that's right, if I use it 40 hours a week, it has a three week warrantee. In the manual, it says the hydro-static trans-axle is "sealed for life" and is "maintenance free". According to several forums, I can expect 150 hours of hard use out of it, and about 300 if I'm semi gentle. However, if I drain out the cheap dino oil ( which requires removing the trans - axle, because it was made non serviceable ) and put in a premium synthetic, and change it every 100 hours, it should have a minimum service life of well over 1000 hours.

My long winded point.. lol.. Manufacturers, Subaru included, well, I wouldn't actually call them liars. Let's just say they shade the truth in their favour.

"Never needs service under normal driving conditions" belongs right beside the other term " Your mileage may vary"

"Under normal conditions" .. .. I never would have dreamed I would have ( then ) bought 16 year old car, with 140,000 miles on it.

Lost in the mix was the OP's original question "Anyone do this?"

Yes, I do.. And IMHO, I think it would be only fair, as it's a possibility that Subaru shaded the truth about " Maintenance Free" , that you should probably change it soon, and then again every ummm let's say every ten years from here on in.. Just as a precaution..
Old 11-05-2014, 08:39 PM

has any one tried these filters look like a simple install.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atp-jx150

ATP offers a limited lifetime warranty for exhaust manifold kits, heat risers, harmonic balancers, intake manifolds, timing covers, front bearing retainers, and engine oil pans. All other products have a limited 90-day warranty. ATP warrants, to the direct purchaser only, that any products sold by ATP will be free from defects in material and workmanship.

Last edited by kjoyes; 11-05-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:36 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

Is that a disposable kit? Why not get a mounted bracket that uses twist on filters?

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.

Last edited by dannmarr; 11-06-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
Just occurred to me that after 20+ years I've never changed the transmission filter that Subaru installed retroactively to help with the transmission overheat problem.

Anyone done this?
Ditto!
When Appleway Subaru (dealership in Spokane valley, Washington) installed the new transmission in my '1992 SVX they didn't replace the external filter (very easy to replace) or any of the rubber hoses going to/from the Automatic transmission!! 🙄🤔