How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 03:18 PM

Cool Central locking switch in gear shift area

I am wondering how easy it would be to wire in a central locking switch like I have seen on some model SVXs - would it just be a simple case of finding out where the existing wiring goes to that comes off the drivers side door lock mechanism?

regards

Steve in New Zealand
Old 02-21-2007, 04:27 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SURTEESS
I am wondering how easy it would be to wire in a central locking switch like I have seen on some model SVXs - would it just be a simple case of finding out where the existing wiring goes to that comes off the drivers side door lock mechanism?

regards

Steve in New Zealand
Steve, I am also interested in this topic.

Several times I have thought about it but have never got round to further investigation. If the required circuit can be picked up outside of the doors, e.g. in the loom between doors, it could be not to difficult to make the mod.

I would presume the switch is in the form of a self restoring push on type, i.e. not a switch remaining in the moved position.

Steve, I just looked at the manuals I have to check the wiring diagram, which however does not include the switch. I found that some time ago I had pencilled in a proposed addition, which involves inserting a push button switch and a blocking diode, in the line between the two doors. My proposal should work, but as remembered, I never have got round to trying it.

Let us hope that someone will have the OEM wiring which could throw more light on the issue.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Phil and I [b3lha] discussed this a long time ago.

The type of switch you mention Trevor is the correct type. 94 or 95 cars got this push to shut off central locking switch. It was only ever necessary on the JDM types, which locked up at about 15 km/hr.

Do the Nz and Au cars lock automatically too?

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-21-2007, 05:56 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist
Phil and I [b3lha] discussed this a long time ago.

The type of switch you mention Trevor is the correct type. 94 or 95 cars got this push to shut off central locking switch. It was only ever necessary on the JDM types, which locked up at about 15 km/hr.

Do the Nz and Au cars lock automatically too?

Joe
Joe, my car is a JDM and locks when moving. This is not the real problem as i see it. If the passenger wishes to exit the car, the driver is unable to conveniently unlock the door for them. There also appears to be a problem if both driver and passenger try to unlock doors simultaneously and the interlocking then becomes confused.

To be honest I have not been bothered looking into it all properly, but now may have the urge. However it would help if Steve outlines his needs before I spend more time.

On the basis of safety, I am dismayed regarding the dangers inherent in many modern cars. Particularly the often concealed nature of inside door release handles.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Joe, my car is a JDM and locks when moving. This is not the real problem as i see it. If the passenger wishes to exit the car, the driver is unable to conveniently unlock the door for them. There also appears to be a problem if both driver and passenger try to unlock doors simultaneously and the interlocking then becomes confused.

To be honest I have not been bothered looking into it all properly, but now may have the urge. However it would help if Steve outlines his needs before I spend more time.

On the basis of safety, I am dismayed regarding the dangers inherent in many modern cars. Particularly the often concealed nature of inside door release handles.
Same problem as I had with my JDM Trevor. They had to do the factory fix, everybody had the same problem, letting passengers out.

I'll do a search on the previous discussions.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-21-2007, 06:48 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Same problem as I had with my JDM Trevor. They had to do the factory fix, everybody had the same problem, letting passengers out.

I'll do a search on the previous discussions.

Joe
Thanks Joe,

Having had a short time out and a rethink, it now comes back to me that the diagram I have, does not cover the JDM system. No motor/solenod/ actuator is shown for the drivers door, this side having only manual operation. My previous investigation had stalled at this point and went into the too hard basket. I am past diving under dashboards etc, in order to trace looms in difficult places.

However this fact will answer your query regarding the Australian model, as it does not appear to have the locking in motion feature.

Cheers, Trevor.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
94 or 95 cars got this push to shut off central locking switch. It was only ever necessary on the JDM types, which locked up at about 15 km/hr.
It's fascinating to hear about the JDM and other non-US SVXs. Apparently none of the US SVXs have the speed-sensitive automatic locking.

What word or icon is on this pushbutton? Does it still have a small lens on the lower half for an "on" indicator (similar to the rear defrost. cruise, and security buttons)? Is there a picture anywhere (or could you post one)?

Quote:
They had to do the factory fix, everybody had the same problem, letting passengers out.
Which problem -- 'driver unable to conveniently unlock the passenger's door' or 'driver/passenger simultaneous unlock conflict'? What was the factory fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
I am somewhat perplexed by the switch in my 94 to disable the auto locking feature. There does not seem to be a switch to re-enable it and the only method I can find of doing so is to disconnect the cars battery.
It sounds like the feature is defective in your car. According to this post (#22) by NZ_SVX in an old thread, the car should automatically re-enable the auto-lock feature once the car slows below 15kph, and will lock the doors the next time the car exceeds that speed.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:53 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc
Which problem -- 'driver unable to conveniently unlock the passenger's door' or 'driver/passenger simultaneous unlock conflict'? What was the factory fix?

It sounds like the feature is defective in your car. According to this post (#22) by NZ_SVX in an old thread, the car should automatically re-enable the auto-lock feature once the car slows below 15kph, and will lock the doors the next time the car exceeds that speed.
1)
For me, the problem was a difficulty in letting passengers off. The door was too far away to reach the unlock button that was behind the passenger's shoulder [so they were unable to see where to unlock if they were not familiar with the car]
Lifting the driver door latch activated the microswitch and unlocked everything. However, it also opened the driver door, so you had to open it and re-shut it after letting every passenger off.

Very, very badly thought out and a total pain in the butt.

2)
I would imagine a fault in Phil's car also. At the price he bought it for, he could afford to fix it.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-24-2007, 02:57 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Based on the wire colors and some educated guesses from the diagrams for other years, I think the lower portion of the 94-97 diagram should look like this:
(tn)
The changes are all in the lower-right corner of my diagram. I have not confirmed this by looking at the actual wires in the car.

(The "(tn)" is text I've started adding so that people will still have a visible link to click if for some reason the thumbnail image fails to load)

Added: I just noticed that connectors D2 and D22 (going to the actuator modules) are both 4-pin. I wonder if the passenger's module also has a switch like the driver's, just not used.

Last edited by SVXdc; 02-24-2007 at 03:06 PM.