How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-04-2002, 03:54 PM
SVXCAPE

Question five speed fr/rr drive ratio

so what happens to the drive split when you put in a 5-speed. It is 90-10 front rear split on U.S model with up to 50-50 lockup, my buddy has a legacy turbo that is a constant 90-10. I know the benifits of a variable torque split, how does putting in the five speed affect the driveability of this car, will it affect the cars ability to negotiate VERY SLICK, and variable dangerous road conditions? is variable better than fixed? Are there any other ratios available for conversion? what would be best for the conditions above? Thanks for any helpful replies
Old 11-04-2002, 10:18 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: five speed fr/rr drive ratio

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXCAPE
so what happens to the drive split when you put in a 5-speed. It is 90-10 front rear split on U.S model with up to 50-50 lockup, my buddy has a legacy turbo that is a constant 90-10. I know the benifits of a variable torque split, how does putting in the five speed affect the driveability of this car, will it affect the cars ability to negotiate VERY SLICK, and variable dangerous road conditions? is variable better than fixed? Are there any other ratios available for conversion? what would be best for the conditions above? Thanks for any helpful replies
The manual box does not do a changing torque split. It just uses a viscos diff for a 50/50 split. I think? Huck? Beav?

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:36 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
That's right, the manuals have the 50/50 split, as for the drivability, I’ve had several Subaru’s auto and manual, and haven’t ever noticed any real “seat-of-the-pants” difference in the way they perform in inclement weather conditions.
AS for the different final drive ratio’s there is 3 that I know of 3:90’s, 4:11’s, and 4:44’s
The 4:11’s are the most plentiful and easy to come by.
The SVX’s auto uses 3:54’s (the only Subaru to use that ratio)
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 11-05-2002, 08:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
The sti 6 speed is around the 3.5's
Old 11-06-2002, 09:15 PM

my hatch had a 3:70
Old 11-07-2002, 06:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
I did a writeup on I-club about the trannies and torque splits etc.

http://forums.i-club.com/forums/show...hreadid=196455

The MT viscous couling strives to maintain 50/50 torque split but will vary up to 90/10 and 10/90 to achieve that during slippage.

On the 4EATs up to roughly '99 on legacies and '01 on the Imprezas you get 90/10 that can vary up to 50/50. Post '99 and '01 respectively the 4EAT w/o VTD/VDC is 80/20 split and can go to 50/50 when needed.

-mike
Old 11-09-2002, 12:06 AM
MRieger

Additional information:

4EAT w/VTD & Sport shifter plus buttons on steering wheel:
Fitted to Legacy B4 twin turbo
F:R 45:55, asymmetric epicyclic differential with computer hydraulic control will change to 50:50 with slippage. All sorts of torque splits possible with the TCU and wheel slippage. No fuse because it's a mechanical direct connection to all wheels.

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring.../10_06_sub.htm See B4 article, personally I prefer the BBS wheels.
http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/news/n...doc=sub0207011 cut down version of same article, only small one pic too

This was done for more of a rear drive feeling and you can use the power to steer in corners like a RWD and will then transfer drive forward to get you out of trouble. When changing with the steering wheel buttons it will not change unless the engine is capable of operating in that range and there is an additional solenoid valve to enable engine braking in 1st gear bypassing the over running clutch that is normally in any automatic transmission. This transmission is as close to driving a manual as you can get without having one. Still waiting to test drive one.

Same ratios as SVX but different final drive, depending on where it is sold could be 4.111 or 4.444. It is also capable of taking the SVX’s torque.

Also worth noting the 4EAT VTD/VDC transmissions are completely electronic, all gear changes and slippage between gears is mapped in the TCU and compensated for as the transmission wears. Turning it into a digital transmission, either it work or it doesn’t, there’s no in between.

VTD is not able to be fitted to manual cars because it uses the auto transmission pump. I believe a similar system is in the WRC cars, but they use a pump in place of the ABS system to regulate all differentials.

The manual transmission in the B4 allows the tail to be powered outwards, much more so than the 50:50 would suggest. But I haven't seen any literature stating it is 50:50, seat of pants suggest otherwise. Easy to drive, power, stable, with little understeer and easy to power oversteer but I guess that's what Porsche built in when they did the Bilstein shocks and twin turbo system. Tyres still feather if you go in too fast.

Choose one of the above transmissions they are the closest match subaru makes to the EG33. BTW the auto B4 has better highway fuel consumption due to taller ratio and lower cruise rpm.