Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-10-2010, 07:10 PM

Owner Retention??? HELP!

Hey, as most of you know my beautiful '92 was totaled as seen in the pictures. However, barring the engine and drivers side the car was in immaculate shape. Do you think it would be worth retaining the car and trying to part her out than letting her go to the crusher.

Again... the engine is basically toast, but she had a rebuilt transmission (no idea on the condition). The drivers door is toast, but the passenger doors windows were not even broken. Also, everything back from the door and most things all the way to the front on the passenger side are still in good shape along with 3 of the wheels.. the 4th is still a ? at this point. just judging interest and seeing what i may be able to get out of it.

p.s. if i retain the vehicle I will have almost a $1000 deficit to make up, whereas if i do not keep it i still will have a $500 dollar one with no means of making the money
Old 09-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Owner Retention??? HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgillms View Post
Hey, as most of you know my beautiful '92 was totaled as seen in the pictures. However, barring the engine and drivers side the car was in immaculate shape. Do you think it would be worth retaining the car and trying to part her out than letting her go to the crusher.

Again... the engine is basically toast, but she had a rebuilt transmission (no idea on the condition). The drivers door is toast, but the passenger doors windows were not even broken. Also, everything back from the door and most things all the way to the front on the passenger side are still in good shape along with 3 of the wheels.. the 4th is still a ? at this point. just judging interest and seeing what i may be able to get out of it.

p.s. if i retain the vehicle I will have almost a $1000 deficit to make up, whereas if i do not keep it i still will have a $500 dollar one with no means of making the money
Its doubtful you will make up your $1000 deficit on parting it out, probably not even $500. Unless of course, you are willing to wait any number of years until all of the parts are eventually needed. If you do try, I would dismantle everything you can get and put it all on ebay and here at the same time. Do the lights, tailbar, vanity and interior parts, MAF sensor, anything thats not too heavy or big to ship cheaply.

Crap you have the federal ECU, how much you want for it ?? Maybe if you dont keep the car you can sneak that out anyways

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:10 PM

Registered SVX

What is the federal ecu?
Old 09-11-2010, 12:13 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
What is the federal ecu?

49 state ECU
CA has its own emission standard that are especially strict requiring extra reading/sensors on most cars and therefor a different ECU.
For instance, CA ECU on the SVX not only detects an EGR sensor like all US SVXi but also has a temp reading for it. Ask So-cal about it as he had issues for seemingly forever.

Also, I think I caught someone on here that said now AZ now follows CA in their emission standards.

As much as I hate to say it on the car, Probably not gonna be able to make enough off of it buying it back for $1000. I would suggest pulling off anything you can though before it gets taken away. sensors, computers, anything you can grab...

Last edited by 1986nate; 09-11-2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:39 AM
Sold my soul to Subaru

$1000 to buy your car back? wth? who is your insurance company? My first SVX was a 96 and my dad totalled it. I paid $4,400 for it and it was mint condition. Allstate not only gave me the max blue book of $8,500 at the time, but I bought it back for $600 and its repairable!!! Would cost a ton of money, but there is absolutely no frame damage even though my dad hit a tree head on at about 80mph!
Old 09-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
49 state ECU

For instance, CA ECU on the SVX not only detects an EGR sensor like all US SVXi but also has a temp reading for it. Ask So-cal about it as he had issues for seemingly forever.
Oh man I wish "had" were true Still there, and the ONLY thing I havent done past replacing the entire EGR system is yanking the intake manifold to clean the runners.

Didnt you mention that you had an ECU you were selling?

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:48 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:

I would make them a counter offer. Maybe split the difference. Offer them $750 which is still $250 more than they will get from you if you let them have it.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 09-11-2010, 09:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX

Quote:
I would guess from looking at your pictures that the transmission is probably damaged too. Especially being a stock transmission, rebuilt or not, it will probably fail eventually anyway. Any parts still salvageable I doubt you will be able to break even buying the car back for $1000. Are you up for parting the car out yourself? If you don't have the time, space, or proper tools to part the car, it will be more trouble than its worth. If I were you, I would try to buy the car back for much less. If that isn't possible, I would say goodbye and move on.

That is just my 2 cents.
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 09-11-2010, 12:22 PM

I will make them a counter offer monday. But the way im out so much is because i still owe $28xx on that car and theyre only going to give me $23xx to pay it off... Which leaves me eating almost 500 roughly without the car. If i choose to keep the car they are going to deduct a salvage value of 479 dollars too. Equalling almost 1000 man insurance companies are butts! I feel like i shouldnt have to pay a dime considering the wreck wasnt even my fault.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:45 PM

Registered SVX

You should talk to the ins company about the value of your car. Judging by what I can, it looks like it was in great shape beforehand. You should be able to argue that the car's actual value is much higher than $2300.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:07 PM
svxless

Registered SVX

Quote:
You should talk to the ins company about the value of your car. Judging by what I can, it looks like it was in great shape beforehand. You should be able to argue that the car's actual value is much higher than $2300.
Agreed.

I did this when my old svx was totaled. By no means was my car in "great shape" but with maintenance records/receipts and a couple weeks of negotiation with the insurance company I ended up getting $4800 as opposed to the original $2300 they wanted to offer me. If you take your time and back up your points with hard evidence (records/receipts) you should be able to come out on top.

1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 126k "BXR6" Sold 3/23/13
1992 LS-L Claret 178k totaled 10/26/09

1987 BMW 325is

60% of the time it works, every time
Old 09-16-2010, 06:51 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiv0 View Post
Agreed.

I did this when my old svx was totaled. By no means was my car in "great shape" but with maintenance records/receipts and a couple weeks of negotiation with the insurance company I ended up getting $4800 as opposed to the original $2300 they wanted to offer me. If you take your time and back up your points with hard evidence (records/receipts) you should be able to come out on top.
That's great advice ,
looks like your damage was one year ago, on an SVX with nearly 180K.
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 09-16-2010, 07:28 PM
svxless

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForSpeed View Post
That's great advice ,
looks like your damage was one year ago, on an SVX with nearly 180K.
Yep, and a tranny that was well on it's way out...but insurance didn't need to know that

1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 126k "BXR6" Sold 3/23/13
1992 LS-L Claret 178k totaled 10/26/09

1987 BMW 325is

60% of the time it works, every time
Old 09-17-2010, 05:08 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
49 state ECU
CA has its own emission standard that are especially strict requiring extra reading/sensors on most cars and therefor a different ECU.
AFAIK the ECU's should be all the same. There's a pin on the connector to switch it between CA mode and 49-state mode.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 09-17-2010, 05:16 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
AFAIK the ECU's should be all the same. There's a pin on the connector to switch it between CA mode and 49-state mode.
So-Cal should take that to note. He's been looking for a Federal ECU for the simple fact of him having the EGR temp sensor codes for forever...

Hey Chris, do you see this?!