Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-27-2010, 10:05 AM

Re: thinking about this car.... any help?

car has been checked out by nexus... from what I heard it might be worth a trip up there for me to check it out as well.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77 View Post
I fully agree. I have sworn never to buy another northern or northeastern car unless it is a lower mileage, nonsmoker garage queen.
Lee
Lower mileage, Lee...

Please see attachments!

This 97 rust bucket looks like a million dollars and showed 18,000 miles on the clock.

http://ourlifeline.net/svxart.htm

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg svx 97 1 copy.jpg (55.3 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg svx 97 2 copy.jpg (65.3 KB, 237 views)
Old 08-27-2010, 08:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Lower mileage, Lee...

Please see attachments!

This 97 rust bucket looks like a million dollars and showed 18,000 miles on the clock.

http://ourlifeline.net/svxart.htm

Keith
Your "rust bucket" really doesnt look too bad to me. That car would be considered clean in my area.
2001 Audi S8
Old 08-27-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
Your "rust bucket" really doesnt look too bad to me. That car would be considered clean in my area.
That is what they told the judge in court but he didn't buy it!

Keith
Old 08-27-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
That is what they told the judge in court but he didn't buy it!

Keith
You sued them over it?
2001 Audi S8
Old 08-27-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
You sued them over it?
Wouldn't you have??

Keith
Old 08-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
You guys really need to see the underside of my salt belt cars. The laguna does have the door rust (that I'll be replacing) as well as some 1/4 rust, but underneath is pretty clean even after 16 MN winters. My silver is nearly rust free-body and undercarriage and spent 16 winters in MN and 2 in WI.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't you have??

Keith
Absolutely not. You bought a 13 year old car and didn't check it out first. My SVX is very similar, if not worse. I'm not suing the 90 year old lady I bought it from. I'm very happy with the car!

In fact, I'm having a very hard time believing a judge sided with you regarding a car which you presumably purchased "as-is". I don't see any rust in those pictures which causes anything more than an aesthetic concern.

Cars in this area, for the most part, are at the end of their usable life after about 10 years. Of course, if the car is taken care of well, there are obvious exceptions. I sell cars for a living, and I drive 7 hours away to buy all of the cars that I resell. I learned quickly that local cars CAN NOT be sold to buyers on the west coast who don't understand what our cars are like, and as such have completely unreasonable expectations.

The definition of "rust free" is entirely different in Cleveland than it is in Las Angeles.
2001 Audi S8
Old 08-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

I'd never buy a northern car. Rust is what killed the immortal suby.
I love being able to turn previously untouched bolts on my 18 year old car without having one shear off.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Absolutely not. You bought a 13 year old car and didn't check it out first. My SVX is very similar, if not worse. I'm not suing the 90 year old lady I bought it from. I'm very happy with the car!

In fact, I'm having a very hard time believing a judge sided with you regarding a car which you presumably purchased "as-is". I don't see any rust in those pictures which causes anything more than an aesthetic concern.

Cars in this area, for the most part, are at the end of their usable life after about 10 years. Of course, if the car is taken care of well, there are obvious exceptions. I sell cars for a living, and I drive 7 hours away to buy all of the cars that I resell. I learned quickly that local cars CAN NOT be sold to buyers on the west coast who don't understand what our cars are like, and as such have completely unreasonable expectations.

The definition of "rust free" is entirely different in Cleveland than it is in Las Angeles.
Is a little more complicated now with dealers advertising on the internet. The time that you people could lie like a dog and say "prove it buster" is over.

The car was advertised as:
1. No issues. (The tracking was binding up when the transport driver picked it up)
2. No rust.
3. Satisfaction guaranteed.
The car was advertised all over the internet.
That constitutes a federal crime.

Fraudulent wire bank transfers are also a federal crime.

As-is constitutes as-advertised with the internet.

A friendly suggestion... careful, even though you obviously are not an established dealer with a physical location, web site, etc. What goes around comes around.

It ended up with a dealer that was anxious to settle the case with a full refund.

Keith
Old 08-28-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Is a little more complicated now with dealers advertising on the internet. The time that you people could lie like a dog and say "prove it buster" is over.

1. No issues. (The tracking was binding up when the transport driver picked it up)
2. No rust.

A friendly suggestion... careful, even though you obviously are not an established dealer with a physical location, web site, etc. What goes around comes around.

It ended up with a dealer that was anxious to settle the case with a full refund.

Keith
EDIT. Not worth it.
2001 Audi S8

Last edited by Green1995SVX; 08-28-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:18 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:

2. No rust.

Keith
Ignorance on buying is never a reason to go to court. You're additude and post is exactly what's wrong with this country. I to saw nothing beyond surface rust on that underside. Even an idiot buying the car from this side of the country should know that is how they are when picked up from a dealer. Then again, maybe not every idiot.

I guess in your mind ignorance is bliss.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:46 AM

(To the original poster: I hope you and your girlfriend are doing well)
I drove my very nice, for-sale-here, Teal '92 to the Lombard, IL dealer's lot on Saturday and saw (only) this not-very-nice Ebony '97. The dealer had two rows of very nice cars in their front lot, but I found the svx in the back row of two stacked rows in the back lot. I didn't have a lot of time, but I had zero interest in driving the car after seeing it anyway. I took some photos of the body which is what was not very well-represented -understandably- in the photo link we have from the OP. The interior looked as good as the dealer's shots show. On the other hand, the passenger-side rear quarter panel was about the only body part that looked good up close. The car's been painted and you can judge this for yourself in the photos. Besides the rust and other imperfections on most of the panels, the driver's-side door did not look flush. The vehicle may be perfectly safe to drive, but the look did not inspire this driver to risk. Photos will be available at the following link for a short period. (FWIW and if anyone is interested, the dealer has an especially-nice (100+K) 2005 Shinka RX-8 on its front lot.) (DISCLAIMER and admitted bias: I have purchased many used cars in my lifetime, but have never purchased one from a dealer. The only ones I have considered are those with a documented history of having been serviced by the selling dearer.)
I'll have photos posted here for brief period: http://cid-aa3387189766dea2.photos.l...s?sa=670508561

Best shopping to all SVXers!!

Last edited by Rodolfo; 08-30-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodolfo View Post
(To the original poster: I hope you and your girlfriend are doing well)
I drove my very nice, for-sale-here, Teal '92 to the Lombard, IL dealer's lot on Saturday and saw (only) this not-very-nice Ebony '97. The dealer had two rows of very nice cars in their front lot, but I found the svx in the back row of two stacked rows in the back lot. I didn't have a lot of time, but I had zero interest in driving the car after seeing it anyway. I took some photos of the body which is what was not very well-represented -understandably- in the photo link we have from the OP. The interior looked as good as the dealer's shots show. On the other hand, the passenger-side rear quarter panel was about the only body part that looked good up close. The car's been painted and you can judge this for yourself in the photos. Besides the rust and other imperfections on most of the panels, the driver's-side door did not look flush. The vehicle may be perfectly safe to drive, but the look did not inspire this driver to risk. Photos will be available at the following link for a short period. (FWIW and if anyone is interested, the dealer has an especially-nice (100+K) 2005 Shinka RX-8 on its front lot.) (DISCLAIMER and admitted bias: I have purchased many used cars in my lifetime, but have never purchased one from a dealer. The only ones I have considered are those with a documented history of having been serviced by the selling dearer.)
I'll have photos posted here for brief period: http://cid-aa3387189766dea2.photos.l...s?sa=670508561

Best shopping to all SVXers!!
No, I would not buy that one either. Not with that rust.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 08-30-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Ignorance on buying is never a reason to go to court. You're additude and post is exactly what's wrong with this country. I to saw nothing beyond surface rust on that underside. Even an idiot buying the car from this side of the country should know that is how they are when picked up from a dealer. Then again, maybe not every idiot.

I guess in your mind ignorance is bliss. If that is true, you must be one happy dude, benebob!
It is really great to finally find out exactly all that is wrong with America! I am afraid it is actually more complicated than that.

All the idiots do live on your side of the country and north to be specific.

Put your bifocals on and look again. Even the CV shafts are rusting away and anything else that would be needed to have bolts removed would be a major problem just to get a bolt out.

Keith