SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-24-2009, 04:47 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
Re: Engine timing belt replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77 View Post

The cam sprocket arrow should actually be pointing straight up when the cams are properly aligned.

LISTEN to the experts or don't bother to ask advice.

Lee
That's what the FSM and I've saying all along, sprocket arrow points straight up when properly aligned.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 07-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia176 View Post
That's what the FSM and I've saying all along, sprocket arrow points straight up when properly aligned.
YES,BUT.......align with the marks NOT the arrows. Mark alignment is much more precise than trying to get the arrows straight up by eyeballing.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 07-24-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77 View Post
YES,BUT.......align with the marks NOT the arrows. Mark alignment is much more precise than trying to get the arrows straight up by eyeballing.

Lee
Agreed. The arrow WILL end up in the proper orientation once the notches are lined up. It's a beautiful thing.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 07-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Yeah its much easier to see on yours anyways since the timing cover marks AND cam gear marks are highlighted white. The belt lines are purely aesthetics, you can line em up if you want but its just another step, and not necessary. The main thing is lining up the right marks and making sure they stay that way as you reinstall the upper idler gear and tension the belt.

Did you by chance get a new water pump while you're that far in?

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Yeah its much easier to see on yours anyways since the timing cover marks AND cam gear marks are highlighted white. The belt lines are purely aesthetics, you can line em up if you want but its just another step, and not necessary. The main thing is lining up the right marks and making sure they stay that way as you reinstall the upper idler gear and tension the belt.

Did you by chance get a new water pump while you're that far in?
Agreed, wasn't trying to be argumentative with you but just wanted to make a subtle point.

I'll do the water pump as well as other stuff "while I'm in there". The intake manifold is off and soaking in solvent. I'll do my best to clean the runners and start sourcing the usual hoses and such. Embarrassingly, all parts have been on the shelf for four years but finally found the time to do this. Unemployment does afford one lots of time to play catchup!

I was gonna pull the engine out but knowing me, this would've pushed the cost higher (valve job, head milling, injector clean/balance, bearings, etc)

I did take some pics of the process so far and will start a new thread in case others want to see what's involved with the intake removal. It truly is a royal PITA!

Thanks for the help.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 07-24-2009, 06:16 PM

Im in the same boat with timing belt change....I decided to pull my engine and do a reseal/clean up.

QUESTION: On a properly timed engine, will the timing marks on the cam sprockets BOTH always correspond ; ie If left cam sproket is ON timing mark the right cam MUST be on ITS mark also........I have yet to get my crank pully off to check TDC but as it stands my cams seem off....Car died on me a few weeks ago and i suspected jumping some teeth on belt....
Old 07-24-2009, 06:23 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by StelthSvx View Post
Im in the same boat with timing belt change....I decided to pull my engine and do a reseal/clean up.

QUESTION: On a properly timed engine, will the timing marks on the cam sprockets BOTH always correspond ; ie If left cam sproket is ON timing mark the right cam MUST be on ITS mark also........I have yet to get my crank pully off to check TDC but as it stands my cams seem off....Car died on me a few weeks ago and i suspected jumping some teeth on belt....
On a properly timed engine, yes. This has happened to me once, the pass side cam jumped 3 teeth while the crank and driver side cam were properly timed. A dust seal on one of the idlers had popped off and was caught between the belt and cam gear, making it skip a few teeth. The car immediately died and wouldnt start. When I looked at the driver side cam and crank timing markers, they were right on, but the pass side timing had skipped too far to run the engine.

TDC your crank and check both cams, you dont have to pull off your crank pulley to check either, it has a TDC mark as well. Any one of the three can jump timing individually so just make sure you see all three at the same time while TDC'd to eliminate that as a possibility.

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:33 PM

also to add to the above discussion......alinging timing belt marks when installing new belt is a check step..ie when u line up Crank and Cam marks there should be 53?(ithink) teeth between cam time mark and crank time mark. the t-belt marks are -----I----(53teeth)--I-----(53teeth)------I----.
Now if last tech just aligned marks and threw on belt thats fine but you cant use them as a reference when checking belt timing.....pics of engine reseal progress to come!!!!

Last edited by StelthSvx; 07-24-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
also to add to the above discussion......alinging timing belt marks when installing new belt is a check step..ie when u line up Crank and Cam marks there should be 53?(ithink) teeth between cam time mark and crank time mark. the t-belt marks are -----I----(53teeth)--I-----(53teeth)------I----.
Now if last tech just aligned marks and threw on belt thats fine but you cant use them as a reference when checking belt timing.....ps of engine reseal progress to come!!!!
After the initial installation, the lines on the belt will not line up with the timing marks again unless its been a perfect X amount of engine revolutions. It wont matter if the last tech aligned the belt marks with the timing marks or not.... it just matters that the timing on the cams and crank were aligned and checked prior to re-installing everything.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:41 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

This job is really easy and straight forward. Why all the questions!!!!!
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 07-25-2009, 03:46 PM

looks like my belt jumped?

The crank is lined up with timing mark....note both cams off timing mark....sO looks like belt jumped. I found a couple pieces of chewd up oily timing cover gasket inside cover.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:48 PM

RE: Cruise Control Question?

My cruise control has been working fine until today. I was driving and tried to set the cruise, but no luck. The light on the button is lit, but the lever doesn't preform its function. I checked the fuse both in the drivers side compartment and any possible fuse in the engine compartment but all is good.

Any ideas or comments? Other than that, car is running great.

Boi.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX
Re: looks like my belt jumped?

Quote:
The crank is lined up with timing mark....note both cams off timing mark....sO looks like belt jumped. I found a couple pieces of chewd up oily timing cover gasket inside cover.
Yep anything between crank/cam gears and the belt is enough to jump it, I can attest to that. Ohhh how easy it looks with the engine out of the car in a warm garage, as opposed to in a parking lot at night while its snowing

EDIT: WAIT, just noticed in your other pics you're using the timing belt marks to determine if your belt jumped. Use ONLY the notches to determine timing correctness.

Last edited by SoCal LS-L; 07-25-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:22 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX
Re: Cruise Control Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boipeba View Post
My cruise control has been working fine until today. I was driving and tried to set the cruise, but no luck. The light on the button is lit, but the lever doesn't preform its function. I checked the fuse both in the drivers side compartment and any possible fuse in the engine compartment but all is good.

Boi.
In a thread about timing belt replacement .........?

Must be a blown head gasket, better get that fixed before your wipers dont work........

Last edited by SoCal LS-L; 07-25-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:24 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Cruise Control Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boipeba View Post

Boi.
Check the vacuum hose on the cruise control thingie on the firewall behind the TB.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel