How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-24-2009, 05:50 PM

Registered SVX
timing belt and ac belt

is there a how to to removing and adjusting the timing and ac belt?
i'm just not sure whether its reverse threaded or not

Last edited by Gamesy; 06-24-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: timing belt and ac belt

Again, what you are looking for is in the online service manual, under "33L 6Cyl", page 6. Do you have signatures turned on?? Can you see the links below in my post?? A lot of answers lie in the manual, and you can download it to use anytime.........

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:48 PM

Registered SVX

ya ive been through it, i mustve over looked it
Old 06-24-2009, 07:02 PM

Registered SVX

sorry not the timing belt, acessory belt
Old 06-24-2009, 07:27 PM

Registered SVX

well the manual didnt really help. never mentioned whether its reverse threaded or how to adjust it
Old 06-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

First remove the two 10mm bolts that hold the belt cover in place, remove belt cover.

For the alternator/power steering belt, you first slightly loosen the nut holding on the idler pulley (the pulley not connected to anything), so it can slide. Then you turn the adjuster bolt (the long one that sits diagonally behind the idler pulley, its a 12mm) counterclockwise to release the tension on the belt, clockwise to increase the tension. REMEMBER though the pulley wont slide either way until you loosen the nut holding it on.

The A/C belt is adjusted by loosening the center nut on the adjusting bracket, then loosening the idler pulley nut that slides along the bracket arc. Both of the securing nuts are 12mm. To tension the belt, you have to hold a wrench on the 17mm welded center nut that sits behind the the center bolt you first loosened, and while holding tension, tighten the lower idler nut on the arc. Then tighten the center bolt.

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.

Last edited by SoCal LS-L; 06-24-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:16 PM

[QUOTE=SoCal LS-L;606580]First remove the two 10mm bolts that hold the belt cover in place, remove belt cover.

For the alternator/power steering belt, you first slightly loosen the nut holding on the idler pulley (the pulley not connected to anything), so it can slide. Then you turn the adjuster bolt (the long one that sits diagonally behind the idler pulley, its a 12mm) clockwise (tighten direction) to release the tension on the belt, counterclockwise to increase the tension.

I don't think so. The threads are left hand threads on the adjustment bolt and, I could be mistaken, nut I remember turning the adjustment bolt "clockwise" to tighten the belt.

Also is a great idea to re-tighten the bolt, the one that just holds the pulley on after the adjustment... Don't forget that step or you will spend some time looking for lost parts that will be hard to find.

I could be mistaken about the clockwise tighten thing but I will bet that I am right!

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 06-26-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Yeah you may be right its been a while since ive done mine..... clockwise/counterclockwise...it will be obvious when you start turning which way the pulley is moving. Corrected.

I also stated not to try adjusting until AFTER the pulley nut is loosened... or it wont adjust.... and of course retighten after its done (as with any repair)

Last edited by SoCal LS-L; 06-24-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Yeah you may be right its been a while since ive done mine..... clockwise/counterclockwise...it will be obvious when you start turning which way the pulley is moving. Corrected.

I also stated not to try adjusting until AFTER the pulley nut is loosened... or it wont adjust.... and of course retighten after its done (as with any repair)
There are several different obvious. Beginning with "never saw anything before in my life", understandably with no clue, all the way to the person that invented the "danged" thing.

Somewhere in between is the wide spectrum of folks that learn some things and instantly "know it all"

The "Of course retighten" the thing... More than one person has reported on here that it "fell off" because, being new to some of these things, they neglected to retighten. I would not everyone has "confessed"

My responce was to help the person that had no clue to begine with, kind of the way we all started, and tried to save him some trouble.

Keith