How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-26-2002, 12:21 AM
brunette

Question Gear Box

I have a 92 SVX Auto - I live in Australia - and it has developed a problem where the engine tends to overrev without a proportionate increase in forward movement as if the automatic gears are jumping from first to top without using the 2nd gear. I am not mechanically minded, but presume this is a 3 speed automatic gear box and wonder what the problem is and would appreciate any comments which would tell me how to correct the cause of the problem and what the necessary rectification is, and whether it would be an expensive procedure to correct it. The vehicle has done approximately 90K miles (145k kms).
Another problem is that there is a tapping which appears to come from the engine, and this also developed recently.
I have no idea as to the expected lifespan of these vehicles, and the engine in this particular vehicle is a 3Lt none turbo.
I look forward to any comments, especially as this is my first post.
Old 05-26-2002, 01:39 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Brunette,
First of all, let me welcome you to the network. You are now among the most enthusiastic group of SVX owners in the world. Please visit often and join in the banter as well as the gathering of information.

Your problem sounds like the one many of us have had. The sad news is that your transmission is likely on its way out. I'm taking it that your elongated revving is happening between the 2-3 shifts which means the high clutch is probably about to give out. Rebuild or replacement of the transmission (gearbox) will most likely be in order. Once it is rebuilt, or replaced, make sure you add an aftermarket cooler. The 92's were prone to haveing gearbox failures, due to a small screen in the stock cooler which runs through the radiator. The screen becomes clogged and starves the system of cooling, allowing it to overheat and fail.

As for the tapping, it sounds like you may have a sticking lash adjuster. Sometimes, a fresh oil change will cure the problem. The SVX engine is virtually "bulletproof" so, to have one fail would be an odd occurance, indeed.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-26-2002, 01:50 AM
brunette

Cool

Hi Randy
What would that cost to fix in the US, and would it be cheaper to buy the parts and rebuild the gearbox or buy a new gearbox from Subaru? It sounds like bad engineering and you would think Subaru would replace the gearbox free of charge.
Good to hear from you guys
Old 05-26-2002, 01:59 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by brunette
Hi Randy
What would that cost to fix in the US, and would it be cheaper to buy the parts and rebuild the gearbox or buy a new gearbox from Subaru? It sounds like bad engineering and you would think Subaru would replace the gearbox free of charge.
Good to hear from you guys
Unfortunately, Subaru takes no responsibility for their lack of forethought in the gearbox arena. A replacement here in the states ranges anywhere from 2,300.00 to 4,600.00 depending on your geographic area. I've had mine rebuilt at a reputable transmission shop, and have had difficulties since. I would recommend a genuine Subaru rebuilt if at all possible. That way you'll have the comfort of a warranty for 24 months/24,000 miles as opposed to most independent shops that will only warranty their boxes for a year. You might post to the "Down Under" forum and ask for a recommendation for a reputable shop. You have some very knowledgeable SVXers there in Oz who may be able to help you out.

Again, welcome to the Network.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-26-2002, 11:28 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Randy,

Was that the lack of forethought, lack of forearm, lack of forehead or lack of foresk** ??

Larry III