Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-26-2007, 05:40 AM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc

10) A Subaru document says that the system turns on the dome light when you disarm. Does it really? I'm wondering how, since the module doesn't seem to have a wire for that. Perhaps on 92 and 93s, as a side-effect of unlocking the doors?
Yes........
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX
Quote:
... the [security] system turns on the dome light when you disarm. Does it really? ...
Yes........
Thanks, Chris.

So you're saying that when you walk up to your car and unlock the driver's door using the key, the dome light comes on (even before you open the door)?

And likewise when you're sitting inside the car, locked, with everything off, and you unlock the door using the driver's lock slider?

No, only when the security module unlocks the doors (see later posts).

I'd guess that if you do nothing else after unlocking, the dome light dims and turns off after a few seconds (similar to how it does when you actually open and close the door).

Can anyone else confirm that 94s and 95s don't do this? Never mind. See later posts below.

I still can't see how that works — the Time Control Unit controls the dome light, and the wiring diagrams show no connection between the TCU and the Door Lock Timer module. But it's not like the diagrams are 100% accurate.

The TCU does know when you pull the driver's door handle — that's how it knows to turn on the keyhole lights (driver's door and ignition).

Last edited by SVXdc; 04-26-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Also, regarding #10: My '96 does not light the dome lights when I unlock the doors via the pin on the security module harness. So I'm fairly certain that 94-97 won't either. I'm not sure about 92/93.
I beg to differ with you. On my 96 Polo, the dome light always turns on when I disarm the system. While the dome light is still on, if I arm the system again, the dome light starts to dim through the timer. (but that may be because my system is always active and tied to the door locks)

I have no front parking lights that flash, and the arming beep is very soft because of the additional relays I am using for the horns. From the front, the only way I can confirm the status is visually by the dome light

Sometimes at night I check whether the security system is armed. I look out my window and press the remote. It the interior dome light comes on, I know I just disarmed it, so I re-arm the system and the dome light starts dimming and goes out.

If I get out of the car and just close the door, the dome light dims after about 30 seconds. If I get out of the car and arm the system, the dome light begins to dim immediately

I am not sure if the dome light is part of the door lock circuit or the security system . I guess I could just turn the security system through the button on the dash. This way I could just lock and unlock the doors through the remote and see how the light behaved.

Maybe someone who just has door locks without a security system could confirm this.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 04-26-2007 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess
On my 96 Polo, the dome light always turns on when I disarm the system
Ah, I figured it out.

The door-switch inputs into the security module (pins 1 and 2) are also outputs that will trigger the dome light. Pin 2 (driver's door) also triggers the keyhole lights.

In other words, the security module does two things when you disarm: 1) Unlock the doors 2) Pulse the driver's door-switch "input" to make the car think someone has opened (and quickly re-closed) the driver's door. The latter triggers the dome and keyhole lights.

What I wrote previously is accurate — the lock and unlock pins (15 and 14) do not trigger the dome lights.

Quote:
I have no front parking lights that flash
Are you saying that the rear parking lights do flash, or that none of them flash? Either way, that's definitely a defect. Pin 10 on the security module harness connects (via fuse #5) directly to all 4 corners (and, I just realized, to the rear license plate lights too). I suspect you'll find that the Parking Light switch (the one that works without the key in the ignition) has the same problem. Probably the headlights knob too.

Trivia bit: When the Parking Light switch is off, the security module will flash the dash illumination lights too. This is due to the way the Parking Light switch is wired (when you turn it on, it only lights the exterior lamps).

Quote:
Sometimes at night I check whether the security system is armed. ...
So are you saying that when your system had been left disarmed, if you press the remote to arm it the dome light does not come on?

Last edited by SVXdc; 05-31-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Let me clarify this somewhat. There is no defect in my electrical system. The front parking lights atre INTENTIONALLY disconnected.

My front UK-spec turn signals are not wired to use theparking lights. The only time these lights come on is when the turn signals are operating. When my lights are on, the parking lights are not. UK law states the only time amber lights can be seen is when turn signals are flashing.

At night, all that is on in the front of the car are the headlights/foglights. When I activate the turn signals, they flash BRIGHT-OFF-BRIGHT-OFF. (On the U.S. cars, the parking lights are on with the headlights and the turn signals flash BRIGHT-DIM-BRIGHT-DIM. Visually, this seems safer and is more noticible.

When arming the system, my tail lights, license plate lights and dash lights flash; once for arm, twice for disarm.

When checking my car at night from the front:

If the system is disarmed, and I arm it, the dome light stays off.
If the system is armed and I disarm it, the dome light comes on.
If I immediately arm it again, the dome light starts to dim and then goes out.

Since my parking lights or horn don't confirm that I have armed the system, I can't be sure if the signal from the remote was was received, so I press it a second time to be sure; this disarms the system and the light comes on.

If the system is already armed and I press the remote, the car disarms and the dome light comes on. Another press and the car arms again and the dome light begins dimming.

Everything operates normally when looking at it from the rear. Everything operates as it should, shock sensing, panic, etc. Just the 12V to the parking light circuit is removed; warning flashers operate normally.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 04-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess
... The front parking lights are INTENTIONALLY disconnected.
Now you tell us

I must confess that I hadn't read your entire signature until your last reply, but even if I had I probably would not have connected the dots (about the UK-spec front turn lights).

Thanks for the clarifications!
Old 05-31-2009, 03:16 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Re: Questions about programming security system

Bump. This thread faded off the map. Can people with the factory system please do some tests?

Also, I'm interested in doing an "autopsy" on a dead module — to see how they work, and to see if they can be repaired. If you have one you would like to donate, I'll pay the postage or exchange for one of my security connectors and pins (these allow you to connect an aftermarket system to the OEM harness). Please PM or e-mail me.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:10 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Re: Questions about programming security system

Hocrest posted this in another alarm thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
I haven't tested the 4 -v- 5 slot theory.

But I did take a module out of my car, move it into Melis's car and then programmed two slots with her remote. My remote still opened her car, untill I reprogrammed her module with 5 presses of her remote.
So he has answered question 2 — you are not required to enter 5 transmitter slots for the new programming to be accepted as valid.

What's the minimum — Can you program just 1 slot?

The quickest/easiest way to test whether there are 4 or 5 slots requires 3 remotes:
  • Program A B B B C (in a single programming session)

If both A and C don't work then there are only 4 slots. If A works, but C doesn't, that means the module ignores everything after the highest slot. If C works, but A doesn't, then that means it wraps around and starts erasing remotes that you just entered during this programming session.

Even if both A and C work, it could still have 4 slots and wrote the 5th code into the 4th slot again. To test that:
  • Program B B B A C (in a single programming session)
If both A and C work now, it has 5 slots. If A gets "lost" then C is really in slot 4 and there is no slot 5.

Hocrest also confirmed that my question "3C" is the case — "system doesn't forget a previous transmitter until you program something new into the previous transmitter's slot." It does not automatically clear the entire memory simply by the act of beginning programming (or by storing something in two slots).

But he raised the question of whether the module erases the oldest one first (replaces slots in a rotating list). So if you were to program:
1) A A A A A

2) In a new session, program remote B once, giving you B A A A A

3) In another session, program remote C once. You would have B C A A A
All three remotes would still work because C got stuffed into the oldest slot at that point, slot 2.
I think it's not that smart and just always starts with slot 1.

In that case, you'd end up with: C A A A A

You could test this with just 2 remotes:
1) Program: A A A A A

2) Program: B B. Should then have B B A A A

3) Program: A A.
If it rotates, you'll have B B A A A again (step 3 replaces slots 3 and 4)

If it always starts with slot 1, you'll have A A A A A (step 3 replaces slots 1 and 2).

Anyone care to try it?

Of course, anyone with 5 different remotes could do each test in one step (Earl? )