Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 11-25-2006, 10:23 AM

Tested a new Carerra S & STi

The Carerra S felt like a mini german tank on wheels. It was fast- but not as fast as the Sti which costs a third the price. Off the line the sti was mind blowing fast nothing like ive felt before. the s had that feel but the sti was just love at first mash of the pedal. That throaty sound just grows on you...has anyone else driven an sti?
1993 SVX Anniversary Edition #64
Old 11-25-2006, 03:22 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

I have driven an STi but definitely not a Carrera S!!! The STi like an Evo is quick out of the box and very easy to drive fast. From what I been told, it's not as easy to just jump in a Carrera and drive quickly. Sure you could just stomp the gas to the floor, but taking corners quickly will take some getting used to - the rear engine, rear wheel drive layout can make the front-end feel 'light' at times.

Glad you got to drive a Carrera S! What model year was it? I'm jealous.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 11-25-2006, 03:48 PM

It was an 85,000$ 2006 Carerra S 911 black on black loaded with sunroof and navigation. The thing felt like it was a moving block of iron and I did not really get a chance to push it since you practically need a track to unleash one of those... The STi on the other hand is just a jack of all trades that can hall ass. Period I thought that driving the STi was so much more fun than the porsche 3 times its price. The thing was just like a go cart in comparison to a greyhound bus which was the 911..granted it was fast. I want the STi so bad- I can get a used 2004 with 50k miles for 18k and I can probably get 7k for my svx...and I'm 17 years old...haha The STi is the best car I've driven- including a new e500 benz. Any ideas? Work for 10k to buy the sti?
Old 11-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

The STi is a great car, but owning one is expensive - beyond the cost of the 18K price for a used one. Insurance is extremely steep for that car, as well as the typical wear-n-tear maintenance items e.g. brake pads, tires, clutch, etc.

At your age, I'd focus on completing school, going to college (if that's your goal), getting a steady job that you enjoy...and then looking into the purchase of an STi.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 11-25-2006, 09:14 PM

How long should those cars hold up? I'm assuming the guy raced it a little bit the first 50,000 miles. Is there any reason it shouldn't last 200,000 miles if not more? It's just a bug and my buddy has one and shifting a manual is just so much fun...and i have no priorities at the moment so maybe working myself on the earn and consume treadmill for a year wouldn't be such a bad thing...lol
Old 11-26-2006, 03:25 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxthc
How long should those cars hold up? I'm assuming the guy raced it a little bit the first 50,000 miles. Is there any reason it shouldn't last 200,000 miles if not more? It's just a bug and my buddy has one and shifting a manual is just so much fun...and i have no priorities at the moment so maybe working myself on the earn and consume treadmill for a year wouldn't be such a bad thing...lol
i would never buy a used STI, but i'm sure there are some decent ones out there that weren't abused too severely.

a 200,000+ mile WRX just sold recently on NASIOC.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-26-2006, 03:45 PM

Good point, my mind is made up. Will the SVX ever become a collector's car?
Old 11-26-2006, 05:02 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Good point, my mind is made up. Will the SVX ever become a collector's car?
Ask Earl,, he may know.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Ask Earl,, he may know.

Harvey.
Or at least he is hoping
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 11-28-2006, 09:02 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
It was an 85,000$ 2006 Carerra S 911 black on black loaded with sunroof and navigation. The thing felt like it was a moving block of iron and I did not really get a chance to push it since you practically need a track to unleash one of those... The STi on the other hand is just a jack of all trades that can hall ass. Period I thought that driving the STi was so much more fun than the porsche 3 times its price. The thing was just like a go cart in comparison to a greyhound bus which was the 911..granted it was fast. I want the STi so bad- I can get a used 2004 with 50k miles for 18k and I can probably get 7k for my svx...and I'm 17 years old...haha The STi is the best car I've driven- including a new e500 benz. Any ideas? Work for 10k to buy the sti?
Hahahha, you're 17 years old and you want an STi... Well, join the crowd of other high schoolers that want a $30,000+ car that they probably shouldn't have... Even if you could find a used STi (which isn't always a bad thing) the insurance would be so bad you would have to work two jobs just to pay for the insurance and car payments and fuel!!! Believe me, I have worked the math a ton of times because I wanted a new Legacy Spec. B. But unless you want to be in debt for the next ??? years and have something that will eventually stop working anyway, just keep your cheap transportation and save your money till you have a good job and enough to put a substantial down payment (1/2 to 2/3 the price of the car)... Then pay it off as quickly as possible!! That's what I did when I bought my SVX... Got a 3 year loan from the bank and paid it off in 11 months... Sure saved alot of money by doing so too...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 11-28-2006, 11:03 AM
Giong back to the beaters...

Being 22 myself I added things up about 2 years ago and between a payment for a new STI and the insurance I would be paying a minimum of about 900 a month. Not including gas and other maintenance.
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 11-28-2006, 01:56 PM

1 out of 2 high schoolers & teens age 16-19 I knew (and know) that had got a fast car (talking about STi, WRX, Type-R, s2000) had crashed their car BAD. They weren't die-hard racers 2fast2furious or anything... but they just appreciated a fast car... not saying that you'll crash it bad but it's just statistics from my experience.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:46 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
Quote:
I can get a used 2004 with 50k miles for 18k and I can probably get 7k for my svx...
If you find an Sti for that low it's probably not worth buying. If you can sell your svx for that much, you're a very good salesman. 92-95's sell for $800 to $3500 with very few exceptions. Also not to crap on your parade but financing an expensive car at 17 years old is stupid. Who knows where life will take you over the next 3-5 years, you wanna live with mommy and daddy until you're 22 because you're flat broke, but driving a pretty car? That's exactly what I did and if I could go back in time I would have stuck with my 88 Civic with no huge car payments.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
Also not to crap on your parade but financing an expensive car at 17 years old is stupid. Who knows where life will take you over the next 3-5 years, you wanna live with mommy and daddy until you're 22 because you're flat broke, but driving a pretty car? That's exactly what I did and if I could go back in time I would have stuck with my 88 Civic with no huge car payments.
Thanks for the advice. It's out of my head. Don't want what you can't have I guess is a good lesson here.The SVX is so much cooler looking anyways- ferrari designed subaru- Another good lesson- never indebt yourself to a depreciating asset. I want to go into business so I'm not worrying about affording one, I want to keep the SVX for life- it's just that cool.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: