Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 11-19-2006, 04:48 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Best Ps3 demo evAr!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjAeKMyxt3I

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tony117s Send a message via MSN to Tony117s
heh ps3. according to everything i have read its actually inferior to xbox360
'00 Green Forester S 78k
Old 11-20-2006, 03:59 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
It's a big, shiny turd.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
It won't play Halo 3, that's all I care about.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 11-20-2006, 05:42 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I'm still getting a Wii, but I played Gears of War yesterday on my friends new 360 (just got it yesterday) and I am totally sold on it.

I play CoD2 (I think) and Burnout Revenge a couple months ago but GoW just blows everything I've ever done away.
Round two is tonight.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:43 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony117s
heh ps3. according to everything i have read its actually inferior to xbox360
.................................PS3.............. ..........................Xbox 360
Processor........3.2GHz Cell w/ 7 SPEs...................3.2GHz G5 w/ 3 Cores
...........................2.0 TFLOPS.................................1.0 TFLOPS

Memory............256MB XDR @ 3.2GHz.................512MB GDDR3 @ 700MHz
....................256MB GDDR3 @ 700MHz...............10MB Embedded DRAM

GPU....................550MHz NVIDIA..............................500MHz ATi

Best Display.........1080p Standard............................1080i Optional
.......................Dual Screen Output.....................Single Screen Output

Network...........1000BASE-T Ethernet...................100BASE-TX Ethernet

Audio.....................5.1 Digital...................................5.1 Digital

Wireless Input....x7 on Bluetooth 2.0........................x4 on 2.4GHz RF

yeah, the first batch of games suck, but so did the first ones for the PS2. give it some time. i'm looking forward to swapping the HD with a big-ass 300+GB one, throwing all my music on it, and hooking it up to my stereo. i may just be done with CD's for good soon.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-21-2006, 04:56 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
A 600 dollar piece of sh$% actually performs like a .02 cent pile of garbage, but people want to sell it for over 3000 dollars...........BRILLIANT!!!
Old 11-21-2006, 06:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to Duckie
Actually the specs you posted for the two systems have such little do with which is actually superior its not even funny. The 360 will have better graphics with the exception of some very few lighting effects. When AA is used on the 360 there is incredibly small amounts of slowdown unlike the ps3. The gpu in the 360 is VASTLY superior to the PS3s and the memory allocation of the ps3 fails miserably.

I could rant all day about why each console sucks but that would waste all of our time.

In summary: The ps3 is a great piece of hardware when looked at individually but because of horendous architecture it will never be utilized and the 360 will outperform it by leaps and bounds. (And this is comming from someone who hates microsoft and is a nintendo/sony fanboy)

P.S. It all comes down to the games anyway.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tony117s Send a message via MSN to Tony117s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
.................................PS3.............. ..........................Xbox 360
Processor........3.2GHz Cell w/ 7 SPEs...................3.2GHz G5 w/ 3 Cores
...........................2.0 TFLOPS.................................1.0 TFLOPS

Memory............256MB XDR @ 3.2GHz.................512MB GDDR3 @ 700MHz
....................256MB GDDR3 @ 700MHz...............10MB Embedded DRAM

GPU....................550MHz NVIDIA..............................500MHz ATi

Best Display.........1080p Standard............................1080i Optional
.......................Dual Screen Output.....................Single Screen Output

Network...........1000BASE-T Ethernet...................100BASE-TX Ethernet

Audio.....................5.1 Digital...................................5.1 Digital

Wireless Input....x7 on Bluetooth 2.0........................x4 on 2.4GHz RF

yeah, the first batch of games suck, but so did the first ones for the PS2. give it some time. i'm looking forward to swapping the HD with a big-ass 300+GB one, throwing all my music on it, and hooking it up to my stereo. i may just be done with CD's for good soon.
yes but the system bandwith on the xbox is like 287 gb/s while the ps3 is 49 gb/sec and that seriously limits the system, not to mention it only has 256 mb of ram. Also about launch titles, ps3 look like junk most of them look like ps2 titles, but on xbox pgr3 and perfect dark looked amazing and they were launch titles.

ps3 vs xbox 360 performance graphs -->http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2...rt-1-of-4.aspx
'00 Green Forester S 78k
Old 11-21-2006, 08:35 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony117s
yes but the system bandwith on the xbox is like 287 gb/s while the ps3 is 49 gb/sec and that seriously limits the system, not to mention it only has 256 mb of ram. Also about launch titles, ps3 look like junk most of them look like ps2 titles, but on xbox pgr3 and perfect dark looked amazing and they were launch titles.

ps3 vs xbox 360 performance graphs -->http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2...rt-1-of-4.aspx
an XBOX site trashing the PS3? no way!

the XBOX is supposedly "easier" for programmers to develop games on, so that might explain the crappy PS3 launch titles. as far as performance, its close, with both systems doing certain things better than the other. i'm certain that the PS3 will have the better gaming selection down the line, though.

"Each core on the 360’s processor is capable of performing 2 threads each (Think of it as similar to hyper threading), so the 360’s CPU is capable of handling 6 simultaneous running threads at once. This brings me to a very important advantage for the PS3’s Cell CPU, its concurrency. While the 360 CPU may be able to handle 6 processor threads simultaneously it still only has 3 physical CPU cores so every 2 threads must share processing power on a single core. Whereas with the PS3, it has 1 PPE and 6 SPE for games, which are like extra physical processors). If each of the PS3’s 6 SPE used for games are working on a specific task such as collision, cloth physics, animation, water surface simulation or particles, they wouldn’t need to worry about processing power being taken away from another part of the game because the SPE don’t share processing power.

The only cause for concern would be the 512KB L2 cache being shared by 7 simultaneous running SPE and a PPE, but that’s what developers are for; they work around things like this. In practice, this should allow PS3 games to potentially have more things going on at once than 360 games. Ignoring the difficulties of programming for the PS3 CPU, it should be known that the PS3’s CPU is very good when it comes to vertex-related operations because the PS3’s CPU handles graphics code better than the 360’s CPU. It is also possible that through good parallelism of physics code on the SPE that physics code could also run better on the PS3 CPU due to the concurrency advantage."

Old 11-21-2006, 08:46 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
When it comes down to it, I purchase my system based on the games.

The Xbox had how many great games? (that were only on Xbox) Like 5? (Halo, Halo 2, Star Wars:Nights, PGR2, Fable).

The PS2 had FFX, FFXII, GT3 & 4, Guitar Hero 1 & 2, GTA Vice City & San Andreas (yes they came out on the Xbox, but they were on the PS2 long before), Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3, God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, Tekken 4 & 5, Virtua Fighter 4, Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2, Resident Evil 4, Winning Eleven Soccer, Katamari... Plus you can play all the great original PSX games (Final Fantasy VII anyone?)

http://www.filibustercartoons.com/games.htm has a compiled list of the greatest games ever made according to various magazines. PS2 has 5 titles on the list, the Xbox has only 1.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 11-21-2006, 09:27 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteevo
When it comes down to it, I purchase my system based on the games.
that's the way i see it. i would already have an Xbox 360 if it had any games i wanted to play on it.....

the PS3 will improve with software updates and hacker creations - its only a week old!

the PSP was pretty lame when it first came out, but now has some good games, a web browser, a bunch of homebrew apps, and soon, GPS navigation.

Old 11-21-2006, 04:09 PM

Here is a pro sony site dissing on the ps3 specs. Its not even very good analysis but its true: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/617/617951p3.html
Old 11-21-2006, 04:29 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckie
Here is a pro sony site dissing on the ps3 specs. Its not even very good analysis but its true: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/617/617951p3.html
First of all, IGN is not a "pro sony site", its a balanced site that covers just about all aspects of gaming (and most of the entertainment industry actually).

Second, that article is regarding the E3 convention in 2005. At that point the 360 was preparing for its November release and would have been just about the final product on display while the PS3 would spend almost a year extra in development.

Third, once again, a 9.1Ghz processor with a 1Ghz GPU and 5Gb of ram [insert other outrageous specs here] doesn't mean anything (to me anyway), if all that's offered are pretty sports games and games I can play on every other available system...

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 11-21-2006, 05:16 PM

historically ign is rather pro sony. Obviously they dont come out and say so but that is not the point.

As far as the stuff compared in that artical it actually makes a huge difference from the developer side. On the ps3 it blows the 360 away when it comes to non floating point calculations and it really shows in area like npc AI and it has a lot of potential. The 360 has it beat when it comes to AA (a big deal unless you like slowdown) and graphics in general all though it cant touch the PS3 when it comes to most lighting effects.

As far as the artical being dated there are several more recent ones from a plethera of sites confirming what that artical already stated. My GPU in my computer is superior to the PS3s and i purchased it 6 months ago. The 360s GPU is a directx10 card and it hasnt been released to the public yet. It was way way ahead of its time when it was put on the 360. It is a simply amazing GPU.

But its not just that 360 is capable of making the graphics better, the way the architecture was setup for the 360 allow for very very easy programing which allows third partys to creat some brilliant games. Its not that the PS3 wont have third party development, it will just be harder to code for and is a big discouragement for smaller companys (who often put out either amazing games or amazingly horrible games). The original rumors of the PS3 being hard to develope for are completly false though, it will just take longer and a little more time.

When it comes down to games people always think the xbox systems only have sports and FPS...I will never understand where they come up with this idea. To name one good example of a game thats currently out is Viva Pinata; an inovative and uniquely fun experience created by rare. I will admit the most well known games are FPS but it doesnt stop a gamer from knowing about games like fable, viva, kameo, psychnaughts(spelling?), jade empire, etc etc etc.

And for the record I am a huge sony fan...I owned a PS2 at the japanese launch and was one of the first in the US to have it. That, however, doesn't stop me from understanding the limitations of each console (I will have all 3, only 2 for now) and with that knowing what to expect.

In the end it will always come down to the games...and I doubt that will ever change.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: