Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 10-29-2006, 11:03 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
2001 WS6 Firebird, opinions?

Damn, these things go for a lot cheaper than I thought. I'm looking to buy a "fun" car when I get home from Iraq and pretty much narrowed my search down to these. I've found plenty of them going for $11k-$15k with 60-90k miles on them and little to no mods. I've never driven a stock one before, are they fun? I mean 350hp with a world of aftermarket sounds like a great start. The only problems I've heard of are the rear diffs like to shatter with big power, but short-term I'm only gonna shoot for 400-450hp and suspension. Any thoughts? Other options I should consider?
Old 10-29-2006, 11:12 AM
Own'eded

Send a message via AIM to curly2k3 Send a message via MSN to curly2k3
Z28 SS actually were a little bit better(i know same car) but what chris at TPIS told me was that the computer settings are actually better than the birds unless you go all out and get the Firehawk
Old 10-29-2006, 11:49 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
My dad has had a 95 T/A and a 2000 Bird convertible, Plus I've had a 87 T/A GTA and a 73 Formula 350. They are good cars and very fun to drive for as long as you treat them good and keep up on maintenance. My dad never encountered any problems with his and the only problems with my GTA was I couldn't keep a tranny in it(4 in one year!)due to all the power I was pushing out of my L98. The trannies got much better in 92-93 though when they revamped them and named them the 4L60E and made them electronic plus they started using the T56 6 speeds in 93. Definitely find one adult owned and unmodded with the WS6 package and a stick, and it will be a foundation for a very fast ride.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:54 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
pm shadow248
he knows alot about them

and start growing your hair out
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:33 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
and start growing your hair out
LMAO!!!

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 10-29-2006, 09:07 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
Damn, these things go for a lot cheaper than I thought. I'm looking to buy a "fun" car when I get home from Iraq and pretty much narrowed my search down to these. I've found plenty of them going for $11k-$15k with 60-90k miles on them and little to no mods. I've never driven a stock one before, are they fun? I mean 350hp with a world of aftermarket sounds like a great start. The only problems I've heard of are the rear diffs like to shatter with big power, but short-term I'm only gonna shoot for 400-450hp and suspension. Any thoughts? Other options I should consider?
I would definetly try to find one with less than 60k. These are fun cars, so owners like to have FUN with them...meaning you could come across two identical cars, both with 30k...and one could feel like it's ten years old and the other could feel like it's right out of the showroom. I got lucky, mine still feels like it's right out of the showroom. But you have to be careful and know the history of the car you are buying. Properly taken care of, the LS1 and it's f-body driveline should require no major maintenance in the average owner's timespan.

Stock they are really fast...and as you mentioned, with the aftermarket and tuneability of the LS1, 500hp and 10 sec. 1/4 mile times are less than $5k away. Not to mention the attention factor...even 8 years after it's introduction, the WS6 still turns heads like few cars can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly2k3
Z28 SS actually were a little bit better(i know same car) but what chris at TPIS told me was that the computer settings are actually better than the birds unless you go all out and get the Firehawk
There are many misconceptions about these cars, and this is a common one. The Camaro Z28, Camaro SS, Firebird Formula (WS6 or standard), Firebird Trans Am (WS6 or standard), and Firehawk all have the same engine, transmission, and rear end (3.46 MT, 3.23 AT). They all have the same computer, and computer program (VE tables have been checked for all these cars and verified to be identical, LS1edit and EFIlive both use ONE FILE for all these cars). They may have been given different HP ratings from the factory, but the truth has been verified again and again on dynos everywhere...they are all 345hp/360lb from the factory. Period. The Firehawk, WS6, and SS have better suspensions, tires, and looks, but they are no faster in the 1/4.

Bottom line, if you are looking for a FUN CAR, there are few better choices. It could certainly be argued that there are faster, better handling, and even better looking cars for the money out there, but very very few can match the power, looks, and value of the WS6.

Last edited by Shadow248; 10-29-2006 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:00 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
Wow thanks for the info. I did look at 2000'ish Z28's but they're just, well.. ugly. I've seen quite a few one-owner adult driven birds on ebay so they're not too hard to come by. I was also thinking about getting a wrx or sti, but you can't beat the low end torque of a v8, and I wouldn't need two AWD cars. I want to keep the svx for sentimental reasons.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:14 AM
Hater

don't forget these important items......

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-30-2006, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Wow thanks for the info. I did look at 2000'ish Z28's but they're just, well.. ugly. I've seen quite a few one-owner adult driven birds on ebay so they're not too hard to come by. I was also thinking about getting a wrx or sti, but you can't beat the low end torque of a v8, and I wouldn't need two AWD cars. I want to keep the svx for sentimental reasons.
Camaro's can look awesome, but they require some work.

The TA and WS6 look amazing from the factory.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:56 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Quote:

AND don't forget the SOUND of that big V-8. There's NOTHING like it!! Makes me want my ole 1969 Firebird 400 (330 HP w/ 400 Ft Lbs torque) again. On your way back from Iraq, stop by Saudi Arabia - that's where is resides NOW!! Long story for a 75K mile car that would still get rubber in 4th gear with the original clutch!

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 11-03-2006, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsvx
AND don't forget the SOUND of that big V-8. There's NOTHING like it!! Makes me want my ole 1969 Firebird 400 (330 HP w/ 400 Ft Lbs torque) again. On your way back from Iraq, stop by Saudi Arabia - that's where is resides NOW!! Long story for a 75K mile car that would still get rubber in 4th gear with the original clutch!

Harry
Write this down - GMMG Chambered Exhaust. Best sounding V8 exhaust on earth (that is, if you don't mind not being able to think above 4500rpm). It's pricey, but anyone who owns one will tell you they wouldn't trade it for the world. I think the first gens sound best with dual flowmaster 40's. Without cats, chambers sound to raspy.

Ricochet - if you do buy yourself a bird, don't hesitate to email me (shadow248@juno.com) if you have any questions.

Last edited by Shadow248; 11-03-2006 at 08:16 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: