How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2006, 12:39 PM

Is Driving a Self Concept?

In the last few days I have been driving like a maniac, cutting people off, making 30mph exits at 80 and so fourth. I have no idea what has gotten into my blood. At this rate though I will total my car. So now I decide to drive to ensure as much safety as possible like there is always a cop behind me. For example today when taking an exit at 80 which is posted 30 there was fat roadkill on it, which I Dodged at 80 mph, the roadkill had to have been a foot wide in one lane that I was in. The car is exceptional in its abilities but I don't quite agree with this level of driving, for it is meant for the track and serves almost no purpose. My question to you guys is, do you think your level/skill of driving is largely a self concept? i.e. Do you find that driving crazy one day leads you to driving even crazier the next- until you finally just accept the fact that you are a crazy driver and will always drive that way until you eventually total your car.... I'm 16 and need to stop myself from doing this...its like I need a faster car to get out of these situations, but if I had a slower car I would not be getting myself into them. I guess the solution is to just drive as safe as possible, for both the sake of me and my car.
1993 SVX Anniversary Edition #64
Old 10-28-2006, 01:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Take driving courses that teach you how to be safe and do some preformance driving exsperiences at a track that will allow you to feel the rush safly. But most importantly quit being a jacka$$. I'm not conserned about you. You drive like an idiot you deserve what you get. I'm conserned about the family in the other car that your moranic crap is putting at risk.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxthc
In the last few days I have been driving like a maniac, cutting people off, making 30mph exits at 80 and so fourth. I have no idea what has gotten into my blood. At this rate though I will total my car.

not to mention possibly getting a bullet in the head.

stop acting like an asshole.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-28-2006, 04:20 PM

Karma is the road's best friend. Obviously it is a self concept then.
1993 SVX Anniversary Edition #64
Old 10-28-2006, 06:03 PM
Awitha Cheese-ahhh!

Send a message via AIM to greggbzz
I'm 28, and since I was about 20 I've driven 40 minutes to an hour for every job / class I had to get to. Not only that but I was driving between Iowa and PA 2-3 times a year when I was in college to see my parents. I drove an awful lot. A few years ago, my road rage had reached critical mass. I had some very serious incidents, that well.. forced me to re-evaluate. I kind of adopted a Buddhist, self-less mentality when behind the wheel, and this has improved my life a whole bunch. And I enjoy my driving much more now.

Interestingly, people have no modesty when it comes to their driving ability.
Everyone thinks that they are "above average" whilst everyone else is an idiot.
This, of course, is completely paradoxal. Not everyone is an idiot, and no, you are not a professional driver.

You'll hear people say all kinds of things. We all love to tell "war stories" of the great dramatic battlefield that is the American interstate. People that may never use profanity otherwise, now have to most horrible things to say about some single mom driving a station wagon in the wrong lane for 12 seconds because she was slightly lost..

Really, it's your problem, the road rage, the anger, and the cokieness. It's not you against the world, it's just you and your testosterone (or if your a lady, well... you get the point) manifesting itself on the highway. If you adjust your behavior, if you settle down a little and enjoy driving modestly, you find that driving becomes so much less stressfull and hectic. Learn to enjoy your driving. And learn to interact with people kindly.

It's kind of like live and let live, be kind when you drive. Let people out in front of you, slow down a little if someone is trying to "cut you off" don't get angry at someone that is in the wrong lane. (I don't know if you've ever been in a new, conjested area, trying to get somewhere, but you often end up in the wrong lane, so don't be so hard on someone)

Basically, act as if you are in the suppermarket, not the highway. Those are people in the other cars after all, just like you, me and mom.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:29 PM
What blue lights?

Send a message via AIM to GOT2HAVESVX
"I'm 16 and need to stop myself from doing this"

C'mon, your 16 and really think you can drive? I know youve prolly been drivin since you were 6 sittin on your Dads lap but that doesnt make you anything even close to a good driver yet. Maybe you should ride with my husband in a big truck for a few days and see entire families burn up in a vehicle because someone cut the off, or see a mother with kids in car seats trapped in an upside down vehicle after being run off the road by some hot headed punk. I hear stories like this DAILY from him. I just hope someone stops you before you do any damage to some innocent family going to church or something. Or maybe we can hope your mommy monitors your internet and sees this post and takes your license. My daughter just started driving 6 months ago(well, actually on the road), shes 16 and if I ever hear she has acted like you, I will bust her ass and burn her license! (yeah we live in the south where we still WILL spank our kids if they need it! But they pretty much know what Mom says is the last word.)

Scott & Audrey's Subaru SVX's

1995 Green
1992 Black
Old 10-28-2006, 07:45 PM

I work at a tow yard and i have come to say that i have heard and seen it all... the ones that hurt the most is when seeing a fatal accident cus some moron runs a red light smashing into the passenger side of a honda civic (after the crash it was so bad that there was no back passenger seat or front passenger seat) and to come across what looks like a car seat. a helpless 9month baby dies, a loving family crys, a 17 year olds life is now gone , shiiit the police officer and i cryed... i personally think kids should not get their license untill they are 18. driving like a bat out of hell is not worth it!!! do us a favor and hand over your keys before someone gets hurt!
Old 10-28-2006, 08:18 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
we all have our road rage moments. Perhaps its when someone doesnt let you in the lane and decides its necicarry to scream in you in a foriegn language from the other side of their windshield, or perhaps its as simple as the guy three car lenghths ahead of you forfot to use his blinker. whatever. Basicly, ive noted that if you drive agressivly, you get the blunt end of the asshole stick. My friend can't drive WITHOUT speeding and cutting everyone off,talking on his phone and eating a burrito..and he gets hit with more street racing redneck camaro punks and pissed off soccar moms than I could even imagine. Me, I mind my damn buisness, and allow proper following distance as to make it impossible to get cut off and I dont get anything. Hell, I say if someone needs to get over a lane, they shouldnt have to plow someone out of the way because they arent letting them in.
As far as driving fast, as long as you can find a secluded area to play around in theres nothing wrong with that. No need to bring some other people into your unsafe situtions

intresting fact I heard a few years ago. Right now, at this and any given second, 50% of New Jersey's drivers are angry. Just something to think about
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 10-28-2006, 08:24 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Also it helps if you have comfortable seats.
Comfortable, upright seats.

I hate when people have the ghetto lean going on. Where I work I have to move cars around, and its just amazing the driving positions some people have. there was this one Lincoln that I needed a good 4 more inches of leg to reach the gas, and not only was I laying down completely, I was looking out the rear windows when I looked to my side. The B pillars were well within my perifial vision. And yes, this is how the dumbass drove, because I handed him the keys and watched him drive away
Like, what the ****? Does that asshole REALLY want to slide under the seatbelt when he hits the thing he cant see because stupid unnecicary things like...the floor...are in his vision's way? Does that **** come with a ****in periscope? Jackasses.

Um....Okay, Im done
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 10-28-2006, 10:08 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I drove like a maniac the first 4 years I had my license.. Got a couple speeding tickets and never got in a really bad accident... Never got in an accident that was ever my fault. I am saying this to say one thing. All this gave me absolutely no advantage in driving skill. Skill is learned when full concentration can be focus on the car and... well when you are on the street and not a track... the concentration is on other things like... Where the cops are... is there an animal waiting for death near by?? what is around that turn?? Trust me, I know it is fun but you can really hurt yourself and others while doing this. Not to say I still don't have my bouts with self control on the road but I try to keep them minimalized... Keep yourself out of trouble and try some track time to improve your abilities

Tom
Old 10-29-2006, 01:08 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
Just drive the speed limit man, it really isn't that hard. I used to be just like you.. I've had 24 points on my license so far (two 12 point suspensions). It's just not worth it.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:57 AM

Out here in Cali,,, there is nothing but traffic. Commutiing to work i sometimes pass up a wreck and to only think that i will be the one hauling that car into my yard. Drive the speed limit!!! Really speeding and cutting people off will never get you to work faster if anything by a min or an hour! I have more to say but it'll be best if i hit the sack!!!!!!!
Old 10-29-2006, 07:31 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Getting away from "it's all about me" for a moment, consider the embarassment your poor little SVX must feel being driven like that.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 10-30-2006, 11:28 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
If you want to drive fast/aggressive take up auto-x or attend a nearby track. That will vent your urges on the streets.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
i use to drive like you but then 10 speeding tickets and 3 suspensions later i find it difficult to find a job in my feild... and insurance is about 1500 every 6 months for my svx (i payed about 3000 for it) it was a very bad idea
need work done? Have tools will travel

Last edited by Suby Fan; 10-30-2006 at 03:03 PM.