Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 09-30-2006, 07:07 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
Help :) any suggestions would be appreciated

ok, my little brothers pontiac grand am (96 SE model) is having an issue. When he tries to start it, it turns over and just as it catches it gets up to 1000 RPM's, then immediately dies. At first i thought it wasn't getting fuel, so we changed the filter (which was the gunkiest filter i've ever seen) but that had no affect. I've wondered if its the starter, but it does turn over and doesn't do the usual super-high rev or click but not turn over symptoms...but i'm still wondering if its not turning the engine over fast enough for it to really completely catch (its just a thought).

Thats about where i'm at. I'm getting close to telling him just to have it taken to a shop and let them figure it out, but before we do that (cause he really can't afford that) I thought i'd see if any of you had any thoughts.

Oh, i checked with Kuo and he also thought it might be getting flooded by a leaky injector so we tried flooring the pedal (to put the car into anti-flood mode, so it wouldn't inject fuel, just air) to see if that would help and for a split second i thought it was going to work, but it didn't. It just did the same thing...revved to 1000 RPM, then died.

Anyone got any thoughts? I'd appreciate the help Thanks everyone.

Ray
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:54 PM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX
This is a "mite".... but, I say find someone with the same model car, and ask to borrow their MAF (Mass Airflow) Sensor, and see if that is whats causing it... Its a long shot... but ya never know...

Also check the Air filter...

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally [Nori]

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
1992 LSL Dark Teal [Yori] (Rear Ended, Donor to Calista, and now gone)
1992 LSL Ebony Mica (Sold to svxcuseme)
Old 10-01-2006, 03:01 AM

Registered SVX
Auto or manual?? if manual try towing it/bump start, this does away with the starter motor issue.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:00 AM
Locker Link Solution

sounds like a stuck EGR valve... or a dead PCM.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 10-10-2006, 08:19 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
ok, its fixed now

ok, we took it to the shop and they said it was the fuel pressure regulator and the MAF sensor. So they replaced those. Thing is, it did it again after that . We took it back again and they ran the codes again and said it was the starter disable. What my brother had been doing (and didn't tell me) was that when it wasn't starting before, he would disconnect the battery, hoping to clear the codes and try starting it again. That made it think it was being stolen and triggered the starter disable. What he has to do is put the key in and wait for the security light to go off (about 10 mins) and then the car starts just fine. We're not sure if that was the problem all along, but that seems to do the trick. Thanks for your help everyone I really appreciated the suggestions.

Ray
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: