How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 08-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Locker Link Solution

HELP!!! Wasps!!!

Okay, well... I finally got he wasps to stop coming in the garage, then got them to stop making a home out of the driveway lamps.... soo where did they go?!?!? I thought they left!

I decided to use my day off to clean the koi pond out after all the storms made a mess of it.... I flipped over a piece of liner that I use to cover the uv filter and two way valve to find two enormous nests on the underside I had about 20, maybe more, wasps come flying up around me!!! I jumped back and grabbed the hose which luckily wasn't too far out of reach and started spraying those pricks out of the sky! I think only one got me. but I'm feeling it! I've seen some pretty ugly things happen to people in my family due to these guys, and I think I am just as allergic. So my question is, how do I get these guys to leave without getting myself killed? I managed to get one nest out and sprayed it down with raid, but the bigger one is still in there and they started coming back/drying off before I could get to it.

Ideas anyone??? I'm afraid of spraying it with the raid, because it will get in the water and most likely kill my fish. Help anyone?
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?

Last edited by Speedklix; 08-21-2006 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Ouch... Personally, I would pay 50 bucks to a professional.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 08-21-2006, 03:26 PM
Ren-Ma Osu

they sell wasp traps -- you could place it near the nest and maybe that would reduce the population enough
Old 08-21-2006, 03:28 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sorceror
Yes the poison in the water would probably not be a good thing for your fish.

I killed a medium sized nest late one evening with a baseball bat but that was on the eves of my home. The rest of the time I use Raid (the one that shoots like 10 feet).

I think we all need a better perspective of the location of the nest. Maybe a picture or 2? The pictures should give a good perspective on location, above ground, below ground, accessible by shovels, is there dirt etc ....

I could make some suggestions but not knowing more they would be shots in the dark.

Last edited by sorceror; 08-21-2006 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:54 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
To at least keep them away from you get a few cokes from McD's and put them on the corner of your property (or wherever you're NOT going to be). Make sure they can get through the lid but have a hard time getting out.

The wasps are horrible here as well.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:02 PM
Hater

Build your own wasp trap

Google.....the other white meat.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 08-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Locker Link Solution

Jess borrowed the camera a week or two back and I have not seen it since. I keep getting the "can I get it later" bit... I think she lost it

It is just a rubber liner that runs under the filter and valve and folds over it, can't hit it with a shovel, cause I'll destory an expensive uv filter.

The trap idea might be good, I forgot they made those. Eveyone I could think of around here that might sell em are closed... so I'm off to home depot/walmart. Not sure if either will have em, I know I've seen the foggers there (which I can't use) With any luck I'll get most of em by afternoon tomorrow.

The coke thing is worth a shot too. I only have today and tomorrow off for a while so here goes nothin...
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Old 08-21-2006, 04:16 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
Build your own wasp trap

Google.....the other white meat.
Awsome! Thanks alan! I'll pop a couple of them out right now, and then check for the real deal.

Old 08-21-2006, 04:56 PM
Phil & Belha

I used a powerfull vacuum cleaner to get rid of a wasps nest. It had a pipe attachment so I could stand back a bit and suck them all up as they came out of the nest. It took a while and then I squirted a load of raid in the pipe after them and sealed it up with duck tape so they couldn't get out.

Apparently Nippon ant power kills wasps nests too. They take it inside the nest and feast on it. Fatal Mistake.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 08-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
I used a powerfull vacuum cleaner
I actually thought about doing that, but with my luck I'd open the shop vac a week later and...

Anyway, i have a few of those homemade things out there now... I think they are all in for the night. We'll see tomorrow. I'm using RC cola for the record... 89cents and took literally 30 seconds to make after pouring into another container. Is it the sugar they go after?

Last edited by Speedklix; 08-21-2006 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:23 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Just get a can of wasp killer. Sprays a stream about 15 ft and drops em like the Raid! cartoons. Never fails. Hit the nests you find in the evening when fully occupied and their cousins will find somewhere else to nest.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 08-21-2006, 07:34 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojoRocket
Just get a can of wasp killer. Sprays a stream about 15 ft and drops em like the Raid! cartoons. Never fails. Hit the nests you find in the evening when fully occupied and their cousins will find somewhere else to nest.

Glenn
That is the ussual route I take, but I have big koi fish to worry about. They were cheap when I got them, but at the size and colors they are now they would be $200+ any day of the week. I have grown attached to them, but i've already started to come to terms with the fact that I'll have to leave them behind in the fall... but I still don't want to kill em though!

Old 08-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedklix
Okay, well... I finally got he wasps to stop coming in the garage, ...

Is that you, Deuce?

Old 08-22-2006, 08:14 PM
building more AK47's

Go to walmart with this list: Toys-super soaker, Automotive-windshield washer concentrate, Lawn&Garden- grill lighter. Total less than $20. Here is a instructional video http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ethrower&hl=en
Have fun
Old 08-22-2006, 08:38 PM
SVX Appeal

Bees In A Vacuum

(...and I thought I was the only one who's tried this.)

So there was this yellowjacket nest outside my basement door. I hadn't noticed it until I was vacuuming nearby and I upset them. A few came out of their nest and started buzzing obscenities at me. Since I had this shop vac in my hand, I switched the thing on and sucked 'em up. Problem solved.

I began looking around to find out where these little thugs had come from. I quickly found an opening near the house where several yellowjackets were standing sentry out front while other bees came and went. With the vacuum still in hand, I decided to suck them up. They were no match for the shop vac. Within a minute, more bees came up from inside the opening and took place of the missing sentries. Not a wise move. "This is my hood, bee-itches!" Naturally, I sucked them up too.

I started experimenting. By starting with the nozzle of the vacuum several inches away, I could see their wings fluttering from the suction. As I got closer, their whole bodies started to flutter. If I kept my distance they would quickly get tired of this and attempt to move, but as soon as they lifted one leg the other five legs would give way and they'd disappear into my magic suction tube. If your eyes were quick enough to catch it, you could see them go spinning off into the tube because the last leg to release would cause them to tumble end over end. Oh, fun.

The next thing I noticed was that any bees arriving and departing from the terminal would also be sucked into the vacuum if their flight pattern came too close. The vacuum's range on the grounded bees is only about two inches, but airborne bees were vulnerable from about eight inches away, especially the slow-flying ones. Since most of the bees were either landing or taking off, they generally flew by slowly enough they didn't stand much chance of escaping.

I found it amusing to watch these bees crawl out of their hive and stand up slightly to open their wings, only to fly about four inches before being sucked into my Bermuda Triangle. The incoming bees would almost touch down before they too were whisked away into the dark hole.

Although I found this terribly entertaining at first, I eventually grew tired of it. Since I though it best to rid myself of the nest entirely, I propped the vacuum nozzle close to the hive's opening and left it running. I returned an hour later to find that I'd pretty much relocated the entire colony into my dust bag. While this may not have been agreeable to them, I was satisfied with this solution.

About a week later I noticed a bit of activity at the nest, so I enjoyed sucking up more bees for a few minutes and then left the vacuum running to finish the job. The Second Coming was enough to finish the job once and for all. There was never a recurrence of activity at the nest.

The epilogue to this story will likely not be relevant to anyone, but I learned something interesting about dead bugs. Months had gone by since the bee-sucking campaign, and the vacuum sat unused. This was not a problem until I tried to use it. Little did I anticipate the profoundly foul odor of dead insects. One dead bug has no appreciable odor. Thousands of dead bugs smell absolutely horrible. Replacing the dust bag was an unpleasant task, but it did greatly improve the smell of the exhaust air from the vacuum. In order to completely rid myself of the rotting insect odor, I had to use bleach to clean the vacuum.

Be warned; Bugs do rot. Dead bugs in large enough quantities will smell awful.

Recently I used the vacuum trick with carpenter ants. They'd come marching by as if they owned the place, flashing gang signs with their antennae. I wasn't going to have any of that in my domain. They step on my turf, and they're crossing a man with a suction can. Surprisingly the vacuum was also effective with the little black storm troopers, though not to the same degree as it was with the bees, because, well, ants just aren't as busy as bees, so it takes longer for all of them to cross the path of my vortex of doom. Unlike the bees, the ants received a prompt burial. Lesson learned.

(Incidentally, it's easiest to just wait until night before doing anything with them. They get sleeeepy...)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: