Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 08-07-2006, 11:54 AM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Relation between RPM and speed and power

Hi,
I would like to know how rpm of an engine is related to the speed of the vehicle and its power. Nowadays since I am carpooling to work, I am observing the cars of my carpool mates. Everyone is having different cars, Lexus, Audi, Toyota, Benz, Nissan. Among those I noticed some differences in Audi, Lexus and Benz. Particularly Audi, even when she is doing freeway speeds its rpms stay between 2k and 2.2k while for benz it stays around 2.5k and 3k while for Lexus its same as Benz. Also while I am watching some previous episodes of TopGear, they tested the Vauxhall -Monaro and at 65mph it stays at 1.5k rpm. I know they all have different engine capacities, powers etc. But how can we realte between those parameters??

-Pavan
Old 08-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
rpm vs. cruising speed is related to transmission gearing and final drive ratio.
the svx at 60 mph with stock gearing is at 2k rpm. If you put in a 4.11 or 4.44 transmission the rpm will be higher at 60mph.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:48 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I think, more specifically, the question is why did the manufacturers choose the final drive they did.

To me it seems to be related to torque range, efficiency and top speed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: