Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 08-07-2006, 09:09 AM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Question Possible '97 legacy outback

I found what I was looking for, with a bad engine and all! Trouble is the owner wants $1700 for it, and with the bad engine I don't want to pay that much Am I loco or are they? It is a 1997 with the 2.5 and no indication of just what went wrong
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:18 AM
Locker Link Solution

Arrow

Sounds a bit high... but is it a fantastic car other than that?? like new no dents?

being a 97 2.5 with "bad engine" It is most likely a head gasket... possibly worse if they kept pushing it.

10 months ago as a consumer I was going to pay 2700 for a 98 outback with fresh complete head gasket and valvetrain serviced 2.5 auto meticulously maintained in perfect condition with a single scrap in the middle of the rear bumper which could have been covered with a sticker and look like it was new and stained floor mats (everything else great). I had to really search for it, and while I was driving home thinking about it (I don't know why) a neighbor that overheard us ran over and bought it. I called when I got home to tell him i'd come back in the morning with a cetified check and got the bad news It was amazing, the best 2 gen leg I have ever seen. I still em (99s) at dealers for over 10k and not as nice Those dealers ussually have a 2000 parked right next to em though...So it is up to you... after your plans, and out of pocket money to get you there... is it what you can live with paying??
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?

Last edited by Speedklix; 08-07-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Good morning!

The front bumper is suposed to be banged up a bit, I found a similar car on ebay for just under 1k, and I always assume the worst when looking at a broken car, if it is better then bonous points
Old 08-07-2006, 01:42 PM
Good morning!

I test drove this car today, ride and drive is very nice, interrior is great! I didn't see it on CL untill I got home, so I didn't know the asking price of $8,265 high for a great condition car, but this on had a massive ding in the hood, good size ding in the rear hatch, major scratch in the rear window and scratches all over the car, the PO backuped by feel, when the bumper met the imovable object driver would stop the car, just thrashed, and the dealer said their price was cheap at least I got to drive an early outback
Old 08-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBavarian
I test drove this car today, ride and drive is very nice, interrior is great! I didn't see it on CL untill I got home, so I didn't know the asking price of $8,265 high for a great condition car, but this on had a massive ding in the hood, good size ding in the rear hatch, major scratch in the rear window and scratches all over the car, the PO backuped by feel, when the bumper met the imovable object driver would stop the car, just thrashed, and the dealer said their price was cheap at least I got to drive an early outback
yup, insane! About 10k on some here ... did ya think I was kidding?
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Old 08-07-2006, 11:57 PM
Good morning!

This is just insane, $10,000 is almost half the price of a new base model and for a 10 year old car it looks like that '90 Golf GTI will be my primary transport for a while at least it is cheap and I own it! not the bank!
Old 08-08-2006, 12:24 AM
Locker Link Solution

Didn't mean to scare you off . Just saying the prices can be really out there . Just keep your eyes peeled on the interenet stuff like cars.com. 1 out of every 4 cars you look at will ussually be something to consider, so don't let it get you down either. Cheap outbacks are sold everyday, you just have to keep your ears up for when one is calling your name. After a sales/lease event you'll ussually find subaru owners trying to simply get more than the dealer was offering them. They ussually tend to be more cared for subarus also (regular suby owners). Goodluck.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:09 PM

who knows...

yeah. along with my svx i'm still currently the owner of a 97 outback ltd. 5spd 2.5. trying to sell it back to the guy i bought if from currently. needs a new exhaust system and right front brake assembly, but other than that it's an excellent car in really good condition. we're looking to get at least 2500, since the repairs will cost maybe 500 if my friend and i do em, or even if the dealer does. but you do see prices getting up there. it's crazy... i'm really gonna miss that car though once it's gone... but, depending on if he buys it from me and what he plans on doing with it i might be taking the tranny and rear end out of it for my svx. then i might not miss the outback so much

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: