SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 08-05-2006, 08:43 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Stupidity = Fried Pentium 4

Just a short rant on my stupidity...

My processor fan died so I took it off to go to the store to find the correct size, I also had a new case sitting around I've been meaning to transfer to. So I transfered it and decided to try to see if it turned on. 2.6GHz P4 - cooling + 30sec = COOKED!

Now I'm just hoping its just the processor that's fried and not the mobo too

I remember having an old P2 that ran for like a month without a heatsink...

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 08-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteevo
Just a short rant on my stupidity...

My processor fan died so I took it off to go to the store to find the correct size, I also had a new case sitting around I've been meaning to transfer to. So I transfered it and decided to try to see if it turned on. 2.6GHz P4 - cooling + 30sec = COOKED!

Now I'm just hoping its just the processor that's fried and not the mobo too

I remember having an old P2 that ran for like a month without a heatsink...
Honestly, that should not have happened, I belive the Motherboard you were using was not reading the correct temps from the processor, because both the processor and motherboards for P4s (usaly) have temp sensors, where incase of the event where there is not even a heatsink, the processor slows down to a craw, and even halts... but once the heatsink TOUCHES the processor, it speeds back up. I've done this Multipull times on my P4 3.0E and my old 1.6ghz P4 because people didnt belive me at the time when I told them about that feature.

Anyway, Hope you can get the replacement parts ya need... the old P4's are getting harder to find now with the rise of the Pentium D's out there

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally [Nori]

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
1992 LSL Dark Teal [Yori] (Rear Ended, Donor to Calista, and now gone)
1992 LSL Ebony Mica (Sold to svxcuseme)
Old 08-05-2006, 04:01 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
The P4 is the single worst architecture to come from Intel. Don't feel too bad, and start saving up for a nice Pentium D, or a Dual Core Conroe.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:24 PM
No longer blue member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsm484
Honestly, that should not have happened, I belive the Motherboard you were using was not reading the correct temps from the processor, because both the processor and motherboards for P4s (usaly) have temp sensors, where incase of the event where there is not even a heatsink, the processor slows down to a craw, and even halts... but once the heatsink TOUCHES the processor, it speeds back up. I've done this Multipull times on my P4 3.0E and my old 1.6ghz P4 because people didnt belive me at the time when I told them about that feature.

Anyway, Hope you can get the replacement parts ya need... the old P4's are getting harder to find now with the rise of the Pentium D's out there
From everything I've read, you're right, it shouldn't have happened. I really can't complain much though, the entire computer cost me $80 about two years ago (which is probably why it's now borked, I can imagine the mobo from an $80 computer has great thermal protection...). It's just an inconvenience at the moment since I use the comp as my TV and my laptop gets crummy wireless reception.

Is there any way I can see if the mobo is damaged without swapping in another processor? Everything still powers on if I turn it on, but there's nothing on the screen.

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 08-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteevo
From everything I've read, you're right, it shouldn't have happened. I really can't complain much though, the entire computer cost me $80 about two years ago (which is probably why it's now borked, I can imagine the mobo from an $80 computer has great thermal protection...). It's just an inconvenience at the moment since I use the comp as my TV and my laptop gets crummy wireless reception.

Is there any way I can see if the mobo is damaged without swapping in another processor? Everything still powers on if I turn it on, but there's nothing on the screen.
I wouldn't actualy, because if the mobo is damaged, putting another proc in there mite do, what us techs call, Insta-Fry (even faster then happy meals LOL)

Anytime something like that happens, its best practice to go ahead and replace the mobo/Proc

if you check on newegg.com they got some good Motherboard/CPU Combos that arn't too high in the price range that will atleast get you back up and running

(if you dont want to loose all your information/programs/etc, when you install the new Mobo/Proc, just get your windows CD, and install over the existing data, do NOT format, just reinstall, that way windows updates its hardware information for the new mobo/proc and doesnt trip out, one trick you'll never hear any major tech support tell you, they rely on the "use the recovery disk and it will put all our bullcrap back on that you didnt want in the first place" method LOL)

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
Old 08-05-2006, 09:36 PM
No longer blue member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsm484
I wouldn't actualy, because if the mobo is damaged, putting another proc in there mite do, what us techs call, Insta-Fry (even faster then happy meals LOL)

Anytime something like that happens, its best practice to go ahead and replace the mobo/Proc

if you check on newegg.com they got some good Motherboard/CPU Combos that arn't too high in the price range that will atleast get you back up and running

(if you dont want to loose all your information/programs/etc, when you install the new Mobo/Proc, just get your windows CD, and install over the existing data, do NOT format, just reinstall, that way windows updates its hardware information for the new mobo/proc and doesnt trip out, one trick you'll never hear any major tech support tell you, they rely on the "use the recovery disk and it will put all our bullcrap back on that you didnt want in the first place" method LOL)
Thanks for the tip. I was planning to just pick up a new P4 and pop it in

Got a 2.4GHz P4 chip w/fan+sink on my way via eBay for $45, and grabbed a refurb P4 478 socket mobo off newegg for $25.

I've learned a long time ago to reinstall and not reformat. I also keep most of my data files on a seperate physical drive so they are not [easily] lost and can be swapped into another comp if necessary.

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 08-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Teh Geek

Registered SVX
Awsome man, if ya need any help/questions/rants about yer PC, let me know, been workin on em for years now.. and I have no problem helping Fellow SVX Lovers

Old 08-06-2006, 11:12 AM
Which manual is "that" in??

What a great opportunity to go with AMD's new AM2 technology and leave Intel discussing it's thermal problems with Microsoft.

An AMD would have shut down. The Intel should have.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 08-06-2006, 11:58 AM
No longer blue member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
What a great opportunity to go with AMD's new AM2 technology and leave Intel discussing it's thermal problems with Microsoft.

An AMD would have shut down. The Intel should have.
No, an AMD would have probably caught on fire and/or melted...

http://www.tomshardware.com/2001/09/...pot/page2.html

I hardly think of this as a "thermal problem." Under any normal operation the cpu will have a heatsink attached to it, as I highly doubt a heatsink would ever just fall off... Unfortunately I made a mistake (although possibly perfect, I am still human after all), and now it's gonna cost me a couple bucks to fix it. Not a big deal really, and the components are hardly to blame (although if my fan didn't die, I wouldn't have needed to remove it in the first place).

P.S. On an ironic side note, the brand of the cheapo fan that died is, no joke, "U-So Lucky"

01' MSM Lexus IS300

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: