How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 04-23-2006, 03:14 PM
Certified Porschephile

[/QUOTE]

I lived in NJ the first 25 years of my life. I never saw icebergs in the Delaware river. Damn global warming.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:28 PM
building more AK47's

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsvx
Toyota now owns Subaru
Sorry I should have detailed the "ownership" of Subaru a little better
Old 05-20-2006, 08:08 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Just For YOU

Bipa--since you love Texas so much I thought I would publish a picture JUST for you.

Enjoy the smile, if you have not seen it.

Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35380.jpg (70.5 KB, 63 views)
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 05-20-2006, 10:45 AM
Which manual is "that" in??

A guy spraying a cow in a self-carwash.

Definately a head strong Bush supporter.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 05-20-2006, 12:26 PM
Bipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77
Bipa--since you love Texas so much I thought I would publish a picture JUST for you.

Enjoy the smile, if you have not seen it.

Lee
Well, perhaps great minds do think alike!

I posted that pic here last month.

Yup... I like it!

Sorry about not answering your Subaru/Toyota question. I think that was about the time when I was away for about 2 weeks when Little Joe first arrived and I couldn't go online very much. He wasn't used to being inside after spending most of his life outdoors at the shelter. He also wasn't housebroken. We're getting better, but training is at times a bit difficult.

Old 05-21-2006, 07:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
ok i have a question for you what is the lead singer of the rap group knowen as Atmosphere?
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 05-21-2006, 07:31 PM
Bipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suby Fan
ok i have a question for you what is the lead singer of the rap group knowen as Atmosphere?
Umm... you mean Slug?

For those of you who aren't into rap:

Atmosphere is a hip-hop group from Minneapolis that centers around rapper Slug (aka Sean Daley). The son of a black father and a white mother who divorced when he was a teenager, Slug became entranced with hip-hop, graffiti, and breakdancing, and formed the Rhyme Sayers Collective with two high school friends -- Siddiq Ali (Stress) and Derek Turner (Spawn). After some early gigs as Urban Atmosphere, where Slug DJed behind Spawn's rhyming, the pair hooked up with producer Ant (Anthony Davis), as well as like-minded locals such as MC Musab, Mr. Gene Poole, and the Abstract Pack, forming an underground hip-hop clique dedicated to freestyling, clever and complex lyrics, and anti-gangsta positivity. In 1998, Atmosphere released its debut album, Overcast!, which quickly became regarded as an underground hip-hop classic thanks to Slug's deeply personal, poetic musings, as well as Ant's bare bones -- but inventive -- production. The next Atmosphere album was titled Sad Clown Bad Dub II, a 2000 set originally sold while the group was on tour. (Now out-of-print, it's a highly sought-after collector's item). A year later, the group released Lucy Ford: The Atmosphere EPs, a collection of three EPs built around the theme of Slug's complicated relationship with his ex-girlfriend, the lost love of his life. The group has toured consistently, both at home and overseas; while Ant usually doesn't accompany the group on the road, Mr. Dibbs of the group 1200 Hobos often joins in behind the turntables and Slug is usually assisted on the mic by young rappers like the teenaged Eyedea. In June 2002, the group -- down to the duo of Slug and Ant -- unleashed God Loves Ugly, an 18-track effort that returned to previous themes ("F*@k You Lucy"), but also contained the group's most pop-friendly single to date, "Modern Man's Hustle." In 2003, Atmosphere returned with his fourth album, Seven's Travels. ~ Dan LeRoy, All Music Guide

http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/atmosphere_rap_/bio.jhtml
Old 05-21-2006, 08:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
ok who has 50% of the automotive tool market capitalised in the USA?
Old 05-21-2006, 10:35 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77
I was hoping for a better and more detailed answer. Bipa--you disappoint me for not answering.

Actually Toyota owns less than 10 percent of Subaru.

The significant bit of information I was looking for is that nearly 100,000 Toyota Camrys will be built in the Subaru Auto Plant in Indiana.

TOYOTAS BUILT BY SUBARU.

Lee

From the propaganda I have seen,, GM is responsible for Subaru being here!!

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 05-22-2006, 10:02 AM
Bipa

Quote:
ok who has 50% of the automotive tool market capitalised in the USA?
Actually, your question can only be answered for a specified point in time. The problem lies in your request for info based on market cap. As the stock market goes up and down, so does the value of market cap, thus even a single day can change valuations quite a bit.

For those who are interested, market capitalisation is simply the sum value of the current stock price per share multiplied by the number of outstanding shares. It does not reflect the true value of a company, nor is it a dependable measure of how well or profitable a company might be.

According to a MarketResearch paper published in Jan 2006, the top tool companies in the USA are:

Emerson Electric Co.
Danaher Corporation
Cooper Industries, Ltd.
The Stanley Works
Snap-on Incorporated
White Cap Construction Supply, Inc.
L.S. Starrett Company
Bairnco Corporation
Klein Tools, Inc.
P & F Industries, Inc.

Most of these are huge conglomerates with tool divisions which are not separately listed companies on a stock exchange, thus market caps aren't available for the tool division but only for the whole corp.

Do you want me to stick only with listed companies whose main product line is automotive tools, or do you want me to go up a level and thus include companies where automotive tools aren't always the main line of business?
Old 05-22-2006, 12:35 PM

only automotive.. its the leader of the industry is what im concered with... funny thing is out of that list i have only heard of 2 of them... which one does Matco operate under?
Old 05-22-2006, 01:00 PM
Bipa

Quote:
only automotive.. its the leader of the industry is what im concered with... funny thing is out of that list i have only heard of 2 of them... which one does Matco operate under?
Matco is a brand owned by Danaher. Other brands from Danaher's tool division include Allen, Armstrong Tools, Holo-Krome, Iseli, K-D Tools, Sata, and Spline Gauges. Matco is one of those for whom no market cap is available since its figures are rolled into Danaher. (unless I've missed something, which is always possible )
http://www.danaher.com/business/stra...ail.asp?key=12

Sorry but I gotta run, puppy needs to pee! I'll answer either later tonight or tomorrow, ok?
Old 05-22-2006, 01:10 PM

ok but i think i stumped you the only way i ever found out was from the tool dealer directly
Old 05-22-2006, 04:48 PM
Bipa

Okay then… looking only at market cap as the criterion and not sales. The actual stock industry category according to Forbes is “Small Tools and Accessories” in the “Industrial” sector. Not all of these are automotive, but let’s just go through the list one by one until we hit what we’re looking for.

1. Black and Decker Corp $6.7B market cap – not primarily automotive
The Black & Decker Corporation engages in the manufacture and marketing of power tools and accessories, hardware and home improvement products, and fastening and assembly systems worldwide.

2. Makita Corp $4.5B – not primarily automotive
Manufactures power tools, including portable woodworking tools, primarily saws and planers, and portable general purpose tools, primarily drills, grinders and sanders.

3. Stanley Works $3.9B – not primarily automotive
The Stanley Works produces various tools and security products worldwide.

4. Snap-on Inc $2.3B – mainly aimed at automotive market though now expanding into others
Snap-on Incorporated engages in the innovation, manufacture, and marketing of tool, diagnostic, and equipment solutions for professional tool and equipment users.

Ok then… there’s the company with the largest market cap but we don’t know if it is really 50%. To do that, we have to research ALL the other car tool manufacturers and that’s a lot of research, unless I want to pay big bucks to a broker for his market research. Let’s see if I can find some info another way.

The direct competitor comparison features B&D, Danaher, and Stanley Works. Can’t use that data since Danaher is a conglomerate and not primarily automotive. But this also points out a possible fallacy in what the tool dealer told you. Just because a company isn’t primarily automotive doesn’t mean that it isn’t an automotive industry leader. It’s just harder to tell exact market positioning because you have to go deep into the company division records to get the actual figures for comparison, and market cap comparisons are impossible in such situations so you must rely on more traditional figures like production and sales.

What other acceptable and hopefully accurate source can we access for free? How about the company’s own annual report which can be found on its corporate web site.

In the 2005 final Annual Report you’ll find the following:

“The major competitors selling to professional technicians in the automotive service and repair sector through the mobile van channel include MAC Tools (The Stanley Works), Matco (Danaher Corporation), and Cornwell. Snap-on also competes with companies that sell tools and equipment to automotive technicians through non-mobile van distributors including department stores (such as Sears, Roebuck and Co.), home centers (such as Home Depot, Inc. and Lowes Companies, Inc.), auto supply outlets (such as AutoZone, Inc. and The Pep Boys), and tool supply warehouses (such as Stampede and ICN). Within the power tools category, Snap-on’s major competitors include Ingersoll-Rand, Black & Decker Corporation, Bosch, Makita Corporation, Chicago Pneumatic (Atlas Copco), and Milwaukee Electric (TechTronic Industries Co. Ltd.). In the industrial sector, major competitors include Armstrong (Danaher Corporation), Proto (The Stanley Works), Irwin (Newell Rubbermaid), Cooper Industries, and Westward (W.W. Grainger). The major competitors selling diagnostics and shop equipment to shop owners and managers in the vehicle service and repair sector include Corghi S.p.A., Fluke and Hennessy (Danaher Corporation), Robinair (SPX Corporation), OTC, Hunter Engineering, and Rotary Lift and Chief Automotive (Dover Corporation).”

Obviously, these aren’t strictly automotive companies, but don’t forget that neither is Snap-on, which is increasingly expanding into other areas. They make note of it in their annual report: “Our products have earned the trust of the everyday heroes who make our assembly lines run, put up skyscrapers, supply our energy, maintain our shipping and airline fleets and help keep the global economy moving.”

So, taking into consideration the conglomerates who are nevertheless also playing big leading roles in the auto industry, Snap-on’s expansion into non-automobile sectors, and its own annual report, I can only conclude that it does NOT actually have 50% of the automotive tool market capitalised in the USA.

Feel free to disagree with me.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipa
Okay then… looking only at market cap as the criterion and not sales. The actual stock industry category according to Forbes is “Small Tools and Accessories” in the “Industrial” sector. Not all of these are automotive, but let’s just go through the list one by one until we hit what we’re looking for.

1. Black and Decker Corp $6.7B market cap – not primarily automotive
The Black & Decker Corporation engages in the manufacture and marketing of power tools and accessories, hardware and home improvement products, and fastening and assembly systems worldwide.

2. Makita Corp $4.5B – not primarily automotive
Manufactures power tools, including portable woodworking tools, primarily saws and planers, and portable general purpose tools, primarily drills, grinders and sanders.

3. Stanley Works $3.9B – not primarily automotive
The Stanley Works produces various tools and security products worldwide.

4. Snap-on Inc $2.3B – mainly aimed at automotive market though now expanding into others
Snap-on Incorporated engages in the innovation, manufacture, and marketing of tool, diagnostic, and equipment solutions for professional tool and equipment users.

Ok then… there’s the company with the largest market cap but we don’t know if it is really 50%. To do that, we have to research ALL the other car tool manufacturers and that’s a lot of research, unless I want to pay big bucks to a broker for his market research. Let’s see if I can find some info another way.

The direct competitor comparison features B&D, Danaher, and Stanley Works. Can’t use that data since Danaher is a conglomerate and not primarily automotive. But this also points out a possible fallacy in what the tool dealer told you. Just because a company isn’t primarily automotive doesn’t mean that it isn’t an automotive industry leader. It’s just harder to tell exact market positioning because you have to go deep into the company division records to get the actual figures for comparison, and market cap comparisons are impossible in such situations so you must rely on more traditional figures like production and sales.

What other acceptable and hopefully accurate source can we access for free? How about the company’s own annual report which can be found on its corporate web site.

In the 2005 final Annual Report you’ll find the following:

“The major competitors selling to professional technicians in the automotive service and repair sector through the mobile van channel include MAC Tools (The Stanley Works), Matco (Danaher Corporation), and Cornwell. Snap-on also competes with companies that sell tools and equipment to automotive technicians through non-mobile van distributors including department stores (such as Sears, Roebuck and Co.), home centers (such as Home Depot, Inc. and Lowes Companies, Inc.), auto supply outlets (such as AutoZone, Inc. and The Pep Boys), and tool supply warehouses (such as Stampede and ICN). Within the power tools category, Snap-on’s major competitors include Ingersoll-Rand, Black & Decker Corporation, Bosch, Makita Corporation, Chicago Pneumatic (Atlas Copco), and Milwaukee Electric (TechTronic Industries Co. Ltd.). In the industrial sector, major competitors include Armstrong (Danaher Corporation), Proto (The Stanley Works), Irwin (Newell Rubbermaid), Cooper Industries, and Westward (W.W. Grainger). The major competitors selling diagnostics and shop equipment to shop owners and managers in the vehicle service and repair sector include Corghi S.p.A., Fluke and Hennessy (Danaher Corporation), Robinair (SPX Corporation), OTC, Hunter Engineering, and Rotary Lift and Chief Automotive (Dover Corporation).”

Obviously, these aren’t strictly automotive companies, but don’t forget that neither is Snap-on, which is increasingly expanding into other areas. They make note of it in their annual report: “Our products have earned the trust of the everyday heroes who make our assembly lines run, put up skyscrapers, supply our energy, maintain our shipping and airline fleets and help keep the global economy moving.”

So, taking into consideration the conglomerates who are nevertheless also playing big leading roles in the auto industry, Snap-on’s expansion into non-automobile sectors, and its own annual report, I can only conclude that it does NOT actually have 50% of the automotive tool market capitalised in the USA.

Feel free to disagree with me.

now that is impresive.... eather way if what my snap-on tool dealer said is true or not.... they still have the best tools by far... I do not however agree that Ingersoll-Rand is a compertitor seeing that most snap-on air guns are Ingersoll-Rand or Air Cat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: