Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-11-2002, 06:53 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
'92 Pearly Questions

Now that I have a '92, I see there are some minor differences between it and my '97.
The '92 has a shift lock button. What does it do?
The '97 has a rocker switch on the shift console which locks/unlocks both doors. Is there a similar switch on the '92? If so, where is it?

Larry III
Old 03-11-2002, 07:04 PM
alacrity024

Larry-

Congrats on joining the ranks of us '92ers!

Here are your answers in order:

The Shift Lock button will allow you to move the gear selector up and down without pressing on the brake or even starting the car. Just make sure that there's something to stop the car if you put it in N!!

Unfortunately there is no door lock switch. The only way to lock both doors is to push the driver's side lock down manually. This is a real bummer because for whatever reason, I like to drive with the doors locked and can no longer do so..

Congrats and fire away with any more questions!

-Adam
Old 03-11-2002, 07:10 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024

Unfortunately there is no door lock switch. The only way to lock both doors is to push the driver's side lock down manually. This is a real bummer because for whatever reason, I like to drive with the doors locked and can no longer do so..

-Adam
I lock the driver side door with my right hand. I reach across my chest and twist. I can't do it with my left hand.
Old 03-12-2002, 04:22 PM

Registered SVX
'92 Pearly Questions

My 92 Crimson Mica ex Japan locks its doors by its own little self as soon as the speed reaches a few mph. Do US models not have this automatic feature?
Trevor, from way down under.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 03-12-2002, 04:54 PM
svxeno

Hey Larry iii,

Guess what! You now have the "Auto Up" feature on the drivers window.

Keep your head inside when testing it.

Randy (Helping Larry keep his noggin) ii
Old 03-12-2002, 04:54 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: '92 Pearly Questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor
My 92 Crimson Mica ex Japan locks its doors by its own little self as soon as the speed reaches a few mph. Do US models not have this automatic feature?
Trevor, from way down under.
Crimson Mica.... MMMMMM If and when i import a JDM svx, thats the color its gonna be. I love that color... with black roof to boot. And, no the US models dont have that. Another thing yours has that ours doesnt is the non-remote keyless entry. You know how you can enter a code by lifting up on the door handle in sqeuence? We cant do that. We also dont have the power folding side view mirrors...

-Mike
Old 03-13-2002, 06:14 PM
I look like Gordon

Which begs the question, what would we need to do to add these features to our cars? I know this is probably a strictly academic question, because the time, trouble, and money involved would probably make it impractical for all but the most deranged among us... but it would make for some good "show-off" moments at meets and such

Anyone know?
Old 03-13-2002, 06:44 PM
sith

Mike says the magic door lock feature would be rather difficult to implement. I understand we'll find out in a few days how hard retrofitting a power folding mirror is...

We just need to figure out a good way to sneak JDM svx's into the country without the DOT noticing. Perhaps some sort of tunnel...
Old 03-13-2002, 07:04 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by sith
We just need to figure out a good way to sneak JDM svx's into the country without the DOT noticing. Perhaps some sort of tunnel...
There's a tunnel from Windsor to Detroit so all you need to do is get them from the Japan-Canada tunnel to the Detroit tunnel and I'll pick'em up on their way thru!

Least I can do for you!

Todd
Old 03-14-2002, 04:48 AM

Registered SVX
Forget about the Japan-Canada tunnel. Drive to Yokohama & put the JDM SVX onto a cargo ship bound for Momgolia. Then drive to Siberia. Heck's it's AWD. Wait till winter then drive across the frozen land bridge to Alaska then into Canada. Be sure to bring your own gasoline. My urine has higher octane than the petrol in Siberia. Oh yeah. Bring bluejeans to trade in Mongolia & Siberia. Blue jean jackets are the rage right now in Mongolia. We can't let the Land Rover people have all the fun.

Larry III
PS: Don't yak about this too much.
Old 03-14-2002, 04:56 AM

Registered SVX
I have a '92 question. My '92 pearly seems a lot quicker off the line than any of the later model year SVXes that I've driven, including my '97. There seems to be a lot more low end torque in the '92. I thought that the gearing and final drive ratios for all model years was the same, but it sure doesn't feel like it.
Could someone who has the specs. comment please.

Thanks

Larry III
Old 03-14-2002, 10:23 PM
DWayne2910

'92s vs later years

Larry:
Re: your sense that your 92 is faster off the line than your 97 - your butt's not lying to you. The 92s were faster on the top end, too. I don't have the stats for the different years, but have read in several instances where the 92s were the best performers. My guess is that it's the engine mapping. The better low-end grunt may be a reason why they tend to eat trannys, too.
Dan