How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-28-2005, 08:27 AM
RFL

Radiator overflow tube

I finally traced a small coolant leak (after it got big). The plastic fitting under the radiator cap that the overflow tube attaches to has been broken off, so when it gets hot, it spews coolant over the front of the engine. Has anyone had to repair something like this? The radiator's only a little over a year old (replaced by the previous owner). I was thinking I might try to glue the fitting back on and clamp it with a hose clamp. There's alot of broken surface area for gluing, and the break did not penetrate all the way thru to where the radiator cap seals. Any thoughts on what type of glue to use on the radiator plastic?
Old 06-28-2005, 10:40 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Answer - the best stuff you can find.

Actually if you search the forums for cracked radiators you will find several suggestions for radiator repair. Most involve a form of epoxy and proper preparation.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
I would try JB Weld or epoxy, though I don't know how well they'll work on that plastic. Normal glue or super glue likely won't hold very well, if at all. However, before the procedure, try and see if you can match up a hollow metal tube of some type that can fit snugly inside the fitting and the radiator neck to provide support and take the pressure. Otherwise, the heat and pressure will just break apart the joint again. A hose clamp is not a good idea without the internal support as it will likely put uneven pressure on the joint and crack it.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFL
I was thinking I might try to glue the fitting back on and clamp it with a hose clamp. There's alot of broken surface area for gluing, and the break did not penetrate all the way thru to where the radiator cap seals. Any thoughts on what type of glue to use on the radiator plastic?
Old 06-28-2005, 11:44 AM
RFL

Thanks for the suggestion to search "cracked radiator". Found the answer to my problem, it's called "permatube".
http://www.airsept.com/index.php?loadmod=permatube
Old 06-28-2005, 08:11 PM

Overflow

It actually would be ok with jb weld I think, as it is not under the extreme pressure of the actual radiator because of the open ended coolant reservoir.

Steve