How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 09:38 PM
92AWDSVX

Unhappy Ok guys im sorry but can u please help me! i really need it. I dont know what to do!

Hey i am very sorry i keep asking for help but i have YET another problem, and this i just have no idea on what to do. It sounds very serious though!

I will try and explain it very good so you guys can understand me..

I just had both rear wheel bearing put in by a complete and total ass. So who knows whats wrong now.

I got the car back today, and i am on my way to brookfield which is about 30 minutes away from where i live. Im in the high way and the car just doest feel right. So i turn off the music and a/c and shut all of the windows to eliminate most of the noise. And at light acceleration, it may be at higher too, but my exhaust is real loud so i cant hear it, but it sounds like a grinder, like if im grinding a piece of metal on a grinder. Its not very loud but its there. Also when i slow down i hear a noise which is very hard to describe, kind of the same noise but a little differant, but its louder. And when i was on the highway every 5 minutes or so id here a pound. Because of that pounding i get off the high way and it will not do it off the highway...

If there is any ?'s PLEASE EMAIL me dirtbikerider05@aol.com or IM ME wutagayscrnname

Or you can post here

HELP IS EXTREMELY APPRECIATED, and i HOPE i explained that right, because i just dont know what to do. i am 17 years old and i have little money, and i just want to know what is wrong. I just spent about 400 on the bearings and now this is happening.. PLEASE HELP ME!
Old 06-28-2005, 01:11 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
take it to the shop again and let them recheck your bearings. Maybe they haven't installed them as it should. Otherwise you should see your front differential... maybe something is broken in it..

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:11 AM
SVX Appeal

Lug nuts.

Who installed the bearings? A shop? It's really hard to say what's happening based off of how it sounds. The calipers may not be attached right or the pads not installed. Perhaps the hub nut is too tight or loose. I wasn't kidding about the lugs nuts. They might be loose. ...or it might be totally unrelated to the wheel bearings, but I doubt it. When you say, "the car doesn't feel right," do you really mean it doesn't feel right, or do you mean that it doesn't sound right?

Whatever the case may be, if you paid money for the work done, it's the responsibility of the person performing the work to fix any problems that are a result of it. If you haven't already, remove the wheels and have a good look at the hubs. It's quite likely that whatever is causing the problem will be immediately apparent.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:19 AM
92AWDSVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberRoo
Lug nuts.

Who installed the bearings? A shop? It's really hard to say what's happening based off of how it sounds. The calipers may not be attached right or the pads not installed. Perhaps the hub nut is too tight or loose. I wasn't kidding about the lugs nuts. They might be loose. ...or it might be totally unrelated to the wheel bearings, but I doubt it. When you say, "the car doesn't feel right," do you really mean it doesn't feel right, or do you mean that it doesn't sound right?

Whatever the case may be, if you paid money for the work done, it's the responsibility of the person performing the work to fix any problems that are a result of it. If you haven't already, remove the wheels and have a good look at the hubs. It's quite likely that whatever is causing the problem will be immediately apparent.
The guy that i had do my work i wouldnt take a huffy back to him. he was horrible!He kep trying to charge me more and more money for stuff that i shouldnt have to pay for. It took the cops to be called to get my car back for the price he said it would cost.

So i definately dont want to take it back to him. I am going to takei t to another shop, i was just trying to get some opinions on what it could be.

And when i said it doesnt feel right, i just had a feeling something was wrong. like a gut feeling. so thats wy i started to listen.. cuz i thought i heard or felt something and then i started to hear that noise
Old 06-28-2005, 10:28 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Sounds to me like something to do with the brakes.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:27 PM
92AWDSVX

Ok today i was driving it for a little while, and nothing... it boomed 2-3 times, but who knows what that is..

The grinding didnt happen though...

I also didnt go on the high way... im gonna try and take it back on the high-way later... and see if it will do it again

I am also going to have a guy that knows what the hell he is doing look at it....

And also it might be the brakes, but what is the boom then, it happens most of the time when i take off, but for some odd reason that noise was happening yesterday when i was on the highway.

THe boom sounds almost like something is getting cought, then is getting broke free.

Last edited by 92AWDSVX; 06-28-2005 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:04 PM
92AWDSVX

ok i went 60 and then it started again... so thats odd, it wont do it until i hit around 60.... then i let the car sit for a while, and then i drove it again, and it was fine... it wouldnt do it...

ODD!

Does that help at all?
Old 06-28-2005, 11:25 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
first of all, driving the car on the highway with metal to metal grinding and random thumpin is usually a bad idea. especially without giving responses to the easy things you can check yourself.

Lugnuts?
have you removed the wheels?
Call up the mechanic that did the work and make sure he used proper bearing grease and not the packing grease they come in. also, depending on what kinds of things he was saying, its very possible that there WERE actually things wrong that he felt needed to be replaced, and was trying to make sure you didn't not replace them. what were all these things that you "shouldn't have to pay for" that he was talking about??

Not all mechanics are out to get you, and not all mechanics are honest. thats why you should start learning as much as you can yourself, so you can act dumb, and call out the dishonest ones.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 07-01-2005, 11:49 PM
UniqueAngle

Very well put, Greg!
Old 07-03-2005, 10:53 AM
92AWDSVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
first of all, driving the car on the highway with metal to metal grinding and random thumpin is usually a bad idea. especially without giving responses to the easy things you can check yourself.

Lugnuts?
have you removed the wheels?
Call up the mechanic that did the work and make sure he used proper bearing grease and not the packing grease they come in. also, depending on what kinds of things he was saying, its very possible that there WERE actually things wrong that he felt needed to be replaced, and was trying to make sure you didn't not replace them. what were all these things that you "shouldn't have to pay for" that he was talking about??

Not all mechanics are out to get you, and not all mechanics are honest. thats why you should start learning as much as you can yourself, so you can act dumb, and call out the dishonest ones.
Well this mechanic was a dumb ass, and i got it looked at by another one and its most likey the rotors.. sound right?
Old 07-03-2005, 11:05 AM
ilsegretosvx

yea it could be your rotors.........but if your wheel bearings are loose again it will cause the rotors to wobble and make noise. Best bet is to get the rear wheel/wheels off the ground and see if the wheel moves back and forth (towards you and towards the inside of fenderwell)
Old 07-03-2005, 02:59 PM

Yeah you want to make sure nothing is loose, but if its just the rotors check out RaceConcepts click here for contact info (sale is officialy over, but you may still get a good deal)
People here have been very happy with the product. There are also deals on ebay most of the time but can't say as I have heard any specifics about some of those companies.
Good luck

Last edited by Rotorflyr; 07-04-2005 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:13 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
If you can take the wheel off do that and look at it yourself. you should be able to verify whether it's a rotor, brake, lug, or whatever problem.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:05 PM
92AWDSVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsegretosvx
yea it could be your rotors.........but if your wheel bearings are loose again it will cause the rotors to wobble and make noise. Best bet is to get the rear wheel/wheels off the ground and see if the wheel moves back and forth (towards you and towards the inside of fenderwell)
It makes no noise differant when i turn, and if it was the bearing wouldnt it???? Also the grimding noise is NOT coming from the rear. the popping type of noise comes from the rear pasenger cuz u can feel it too..
Old 07-04-2005, 02:00 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Rear diff??? grinding could be comming from the diff. they can be mistaken for bearings. The puonding is probobly you jumping teeth. try running that by ur new Mech

Tom