SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-23-2005, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Electrical Gremlin

My 96 LSi has had an electrical system which was operating FLAWLESSLY. Every bulb works, all switches operate as designed, alternator cranks out 14 V and I never had an electrical problem of any sort.

Last week I took my car to the Subaru dealer. I had a "check engine" light and it turned out to be Knock Sensor #1. I know the tech had to pull the alternator to get to it and whetever else was in the way. He replaced it, cleared the codes and all seemed to be well...

BUT

About 2 hours later I tried to use the front wipers and they didn't work. I figured somehow I blew a fuse and replaced it. Every time I put a 15amp fuse in the #2 slot (front wiper) in the fuse panel under the dash and turn on the ignition, it blows. I have no idea if there is a relationship between this and whatever the dealer did. I also have no idea where to start in trying to diagnose this problem. Currently, my rear wiper/washer and front wipers/washer don't work.

As I said earlier, I never had an electrical problem ever. My wipers, front and rear, always worked perfectly. It wasn't until I tried to use the washer that I discovered the problem.

Any help, insight or suggestions are truly appreciated.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 07-10-2005 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:46 PM
Headed to Texas...

Any luck finding your electrical gremlins?

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 06-26-2005, 07:18 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

Take it back and make the dealer fix it cause they did it. And did you figure it out?
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 06-26-2005, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

I just cannot figure out what they did that would cause ONLY that one circuit to fail. Every other switch and light works normally. I thought that if they caused the problem I would have a lot more going on.

I don't think that switches normally fail, so I don't think it is in my wiper switch. Plus the wiper fuse blows when I turn the ignition switch to the on position (I see it arc in the fuse panel) This is when the wiper switch on the column is turned off.

Its going in tomorrow so we shall see. I thought someone here might have insight on what to check.

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 06-26-2005, 08:09 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Did you feed the car after midnight?

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-26-2005, 08:17 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess
I just cannot figure out what they did that would cause ONLY that one circuit to fail. Every other switch and light works normally. I thought that if they caused the problem I would have a lot more going on.

I don't think that switches normally fail, so I don't think it is in my wiper switch. Plus the wiper fuse blows when I turn the ignition switch to the on position (I see it arc in the fuse panel) This is when the wiper switch on the column is turned off.

Its going in tomorrow so we shall see. I thought someone here might have insight on what to check.
Bit of a curly one John. The only thing that I can see, is the rear wiper relay, it has a diode in it, across the winding. If it was shorted it would cause a short to blow the fuse. Pull the relay, see if it still blows the fuse. Can't see anything else, see what the Dealer finds.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Bit of a curly one John. The only thing that I can see, is the rear wiper relay, it has a diode in it, across the winding. If it was shorted it would cause a short to blow the fuse. Pull the relay, see if it still blows the fuse. Can't see anything else, see what the Dealer finds.

Harvey.
to add to Harvey's idea, you might try unplugging the rear wiper/wash pump motor - according to the wiring diagram I have only two things are hooked to #2, the relay and the pump.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

I went to the dealer today, armed with the above information. The mechanic said he pulled both the relay for the rear wiper AND the electrical connector to the rear washer pump and it still blows the fuse when the ignition is turned on.

He is pretty convinced that the problem lies in the wiper/washer switch itself. he said maybe there is a ground that has come loose and is touching 12V somewhere.

A new switch is $430.00, plus installation. he said he could unplug the harness from the old switch and connect the new one, to verify that it works, prior to removing the old switch.

This all sounds very unlikely to me. Has anyone ever had a switch like this fail? Switches wear out and cease to work, but do they do what he said? How difficult is it to get this switch out? Does the steering wheel/airbag need to be removed or can I remove just the upper and lower plastic panels behingd the wheel to get to it?

My confidence in this Suby mechanic is not high. He is still "going to school"

Last edited by svxcess; 07-11-2005 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:57 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Why not unplug the harness first to see if it stops blowing fuses?
Old 06-28-2005, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Sounds like a good idea. But how difficult is it to unplug the harness? Is there a place in the FSM that describes this procedure? Does the steering wheel/airbag need to be removed or can I remove just the upper and lower plastic panels behind the wheel to get to it?

Any help here is definitely appreciated!!

Last edited by svxcess; 06-28-2005 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:16 PM
Superbeast

You should be able to unplug it from under the dash, you just need to figure out witch bunch of wires it is. And if it is the switch, I'm sure someone here can hook you up for alot less than $400
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 06-28-2005, 08:31 PM
Superbeast

Well looking at the book, the only place that fuse sends power to is the front washer motor the front wiper control unit and the wiper switch. for some strange reson my genaric book does not list any thing on the rear wiper assembly. If you can find the plug for the wiper switch under the dash try unpluggin it and see what happens. If it still blows try finding the wiper control unit and unplug that. If it still blows, unplug the washer pump motor. If with all those unpluged it still blows than you got a wireing issue.

You might want to actually check around the washer pump motor first as that is the only thing in the engine bay that he could have been near. Maybe he unbolted something he didn't have to and pinched a wire somewhere when he put it back?

Old 06-28-2005, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

In Section 6 of the FSM the wiring diagrams (section 6-3) show the front wiper and washer system on page 48 and the rear wiper and washer system on page 69.

The front system uses fuse #2 (the one that blows). The rear wiper system uses fuse #2 and #11 (fuse 11 is okay)

Old 06-29-2005, 04:49 AM
Superbeast

Well my book sucks then Well in that case the rears are probly not working just becaouse of the #2 fuse blowing. And it's probly only in the rear circut for the switch power. So I would still try checking out the things I listed and go from there. Good luck

Old 07-09-2005, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Problem Has Been Solved!!!

I took the SVX to Heritage Subaru in Owings Mills this morning, hopefully to get my wiper gremlin resolved. The SVX Master Tech dove into the problem with a lot of enthusiasm. First he disconnected everything that was fed by the FB11 circuit (Fuse #2) He disconnected the wiper combination switch in the steering column, the front wiper, rear wiper, control module and a lot more and the fuse still blew.

That led him to the fuse block itself. While moving the fuse block he could hear the sizzle of a short circuit. Thinking it was a bad connection in the fuse block, he removed the fuse block and installed an inline fuse, bypassing the FB11 circuit. When plugging the harness to the wiper control module back in the fuse blew again.

Upon closer inspection he found that the control module harness had been routed improperly during the car's manufacture and the green/red power feed wire to this circuit was pinched between the back of the fuse block and the body. It took 9 years of vibration and whatever else for the insulation to chafe and finally wear through and short to ground.

The SVX Master Tech, Rick Waterman, repaired the shorted wire and rerouted the harness properly to avoid this ever happening again and thoroughly checked and rechecked every harness, connection and function.

He was very fastidious in his approach. I know he must have stopped to wash his hands at least 6 times to avoid getting any grease or dirt on the escaine dashboard and trim. Everything went back together perfectly and it was as it had never happened, although at one time I saw a lot of dashboard trim pieces, switches and parts piled on the passenger seat. His ability to follow the electrical wiring diagrams and determine what he needed to do was amazing!

This may be something to keep in mind if an electrical short occurs and the problem is elusive. Check the fuse block first and the harness to see if something similar exists to what I described. He also wrote the repair order in such a way as to put the blame for this back in Subaru’s court. Even though nine years have passed since this potential problem was set up, he thinks I may be able to have Subaru pick up a portion of this bill, because of negligence on their part, as a goodwill gesture.

Subaru got back to me within 2 weeks and decided that since this was a factory error, that they would pay heritage Subaru for the labor. Heritage credited my card for $412.00.

Last edited by svxcess; 12-17-2007 at 09:24 PM.