How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-11-2005, 09:39 PM
92AWDSVX

Weird Tranny..

I was wondering if anybody else had the same problem as me. When i floor the car, it will go good then when it gets in high rpm's it will kind of like bog type of thing and drop to like 3-5k rpm's and then go good again. But when u drive normal it shifts fine.. Transmission is fine besides that. I dont know if it is supposed to be like that.. or is something is messed up. I was talkin to a guy with a 94 and his doesnt do that. Could it be the year? i have a 1992.

HELP IS REALLY APPRECIATED..

and sorry this is a double post i meant for it to be here, not in the other TECH section..

Last edited by 92AWDSVX; 06-11-2005 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:11 PM
92AWDSVX

ANYBODY??
Old 06-12-2005, 06:52 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92AWDSVX
ANYBODY??
can you be more specific, is ur rpm flaring? are you hitting the gas down to the floor at a time and in this case r u able to see the "POWER" light on?

_pavan
Old 06-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
I had that happen to me on my 92. The tranny was out of an Impreza but the problem was the same. I would make sure the the throttle positioning sensor is set correctly.

It is the black thing with the brown plug.

There are three wires. Tap off the middle wire, I used a custom bend paper clip, and a Volt Ohms Meter. You should read .5 with the ignition turned on and car NOT running. It is not the adjust by loosening the two screws and rotating, little bit at a time. When you reach .5V tighten down the screws and go for a drive.

I just posted this to someone else. The TPS has a lot of conrtol over the tranny shifting. It did solve my problem. Then the tranny died a few months later.
Remember that the SVX tranny in the 92's are made of glass. they break easy.

Steve

Picture stolen from SVXFiles

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 06-13-2005, 12:06 PM
92AWDSVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanbabut
can you be more specific, is ur rpm flaring? are you hitting the gas down to the floor at a time and in this case r u able to see the "POWER" light on?

_pavan
Ya its drives fine, power light comes on, just when its time top shift it dont stay in high rpms it like drops suddenly when it goes into second gear... almost like theres a safery on there or something... its weird... but u can take ur foot off the gas a little bit and it will shift into 2nd and u can floor it again and its fine, almost like u have to mess with it... so the safety dont kick in, thats seriously what it feels like theres a safety on there
Old 06-13-2005, 01:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I think you need to have a qualified person look at your car. It obviously has many issues, and your posts (with respect) are difficult to read and understand. Some of it is due to your atrocious grammar, some of it is just down to a lack of experience with the car. You can't help that you don't have a lot of experience with the car. That's why I recommend that you get somebody to examine the car first-hand. We could spend all week trying to figure out exactly what's going on, and in the meantime you could get a couple dozen unqualified opinions (including mine) that won't help you at all.

I think it's likely that, given the number of problems you've posted about, you need a new transmission. Again, I strongly recommend you have somebody look at your car. Otherwise, I suspect that at some point the transmission will fail permanently and leave you stranded. They do that without warning in seemingly healthy cars anyway - on a car that seems to have as many problems as yours, it's only a matter of time.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-13-2005, 01:37 PM
92AWDSVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
I think you need to have a qualified person look at your car. It obviously has many issues, and your posts (with respect) are difficult to read and understand. Some of it is due to your atrocious grammar, some of it is just down to a lack of experience with the car. You can't help that you don't have a lot of experience with the car. That's why I recommend that you get somebody to examine the car first-hand. We could spend all week trying to figure out exactly what's going on, and in the meantime you could get a couple dozen unqualified opinions (including mine) that won't help you at all.

I think it's likely that, given the number of problems you've posted about, you need a new transmission. Again, I strongly recommend you have somebody look at your car. Otherwise, I suspect that at some point the transmission will fail permanently and leave you stranded. They do that without warning in seemingly healthy cars anyway - on a car that seems to have as many problems as yours, it's only a matter of time.
I have one problem with the car, how do i have alot of problems. The other problems i posted on here was me being a dumb ass and forgetting to put stuff back together right lol this is the only thing, and it doesnt seem to be a problem, the car drives wonderful, it will click sometimes in park and drive, but not in Reverse or 1,2,or 3.. thats it.. so i dont know.. what the clicking is either..

and about the grammar. im sorry lol its just when im posting i cant put the right words together, because its hard as heck to explain the problem...

Last edited by 92AWDSVX; 06-13-2005 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:16 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Do you have a digital camera with video capability? If so take a vid of the tach as you're experiencing this problem. I don't recommend doing this to your tranny anymore after this though.

It's possiblt that your band brake is slipping and that it needs to be tightened. As Mr. Pockets said, have an expert diagnose it for you...in person.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:21 PM
92AWDSVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Do you have a digital camera with video capability? If so take a vid of the tach as you're experiencing this problem. I don't recommend doing this to your tranny anymore after this though.

It's possiblt that your band brake is slipping and that it needs to be tightened. As Mr. Pockets said, have an expert diagnose it for you...in person.
Yes i do... but the thing is.... this has been like this for years.. and nothing has gone wrong..

I appreciate all your help!!

I have a video, it was from couple months ago, so im not sure if i let off i will get a recent one, but i will post the video i have, i dont think i let off..

because right now the car is getting bearins put in so i dont have it right now

Give me ur email, cuz i dont know how to post a video on here.. and i will send you it

Last edited by 92AWDSVX; 06-13-2005 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:54 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Sure, send it to svx@svx-iw.com
Old 06-13-2005, 09:45 PM
92AWDSVX

Quote:
Sure, send it to svx@svx-iw.com
returned mail...
Old 06-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Meow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92AWDSVX
returned mail...
As in bounced?
Old 06-14-2005, 02:38 PM
92AWDSVX

Quote:
As in bounced?
ya, it bounced... so do you have AIM? im me at WUTAGAYSCRNNAME
Old 08-16-2005, 04:18 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.