Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-13-2003, 07:00 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiz

Thanks for the details on all this everyone. You have all be quite helpful in providing ideas. I'll be sure to post back when stanly subaru tells me what the problem is. I just hope its nothing serious and/or expensive and that the tires are the same size. I have a feeling the tires might cost me almost $800 (200 each). I hope I'm very wrong.

Luckily, very wrong. There are gads of posts about tires in here. You can do well at Tire Rack on line. I won't get into the eternal debate about what's the "best" tire, but as you're in moose territory, you may want both snow tires, & summer tires. My Yoko AVSdb "Z" rated summer tires cost $472 for four including shipping, two years ago. Mount & balance extra.

Happy trails, Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Wiz Send a message via AIM to Wiz Send a message via Yahoo to Wiz
My all wheel drive system is screwed. Thats the problem. The rear wheels don't spin and my stanly subaru said it could be the transmission. I called Subaru, they say the transmission problem does not exist. But I told them to visit this site and subarusvx.com. They said they will send it along to some higher ups. I doubt much will happen. I just hope its something less problematic like the transfer clutch. They diagnosing it now.

Last edited by Wiz; 10-15-2003 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Wiz Send a message via AIM to Wiz Send a message via Yahoo to Wiz
It was the transfer clutch and berings. The repair guys said they blew up. $700 in parts. I'll need new tires too, $78 each. Plus a broken visor, $140. This problem may have been caused by the tires they say.

At least its not the transmission.

Its gonna sadly take a few days to get the parts and a little more time to install them. I've already gotton attached to that car. I'm gonna miss it while its gone.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:40 PM

Registered SVX
This thread has become absolute practical evidence confirming previous lengthy discussion regarding tyre size, rolling diameter etc. It should be noted by any who may have been in doubt as to the effects involved.

Wiz,

You have seen how members here are so willing to assist. Could you please reciprocate and measure your tyres, as has been described and post the figures. This will provide some worthwhile practical information to work on.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-16-2003, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor
This thread has become absolute practical evidence confirming previous lengthy discussion regarding tyre size, rolling diameter etc. It should be noted by any who may have been in doubt as to the effects involved.

Wiz,

You have seen how members here are so willing to assist. Could you please reciprocate and measure your tyres, as has been described and post the figures. This will provide some worthwhile practical information to work on.
Can the tires be measured when they are not on the car? Stanly Subaru has my car and I told them to put new tires on when I found out what happened. I hope I can still measure them. I would have measured them earlier but I did not know the system was gone when I brought it to them for basic maintainance. I was expecting to get it back the same day so I could measure them. But then all hell broke loose and they said the rear ones did not work. My SVX is in peices, so they still have it. I'll get everything back on tuesday if all goes well. I'm sorry I did not do it earlier. I hope I can still do it to help you guys. Maybe I can get confermation that the tires caused it from them.

I'm greatful for the help and would like to return the favor. I hope its not too late.

Edit, the tires may not have been removed from the rims yet. The parts are not coming in until monday. If thats the only way they can be measured I could ask them to do that. I will do all I can to get this done.

Oh, and I've had direct conformation from Subaru about the 1/4" thing with the tires and that its bad. Based on my understanding of how the system works it seems logical that tires with even a slightly different size would mess things up.

One last thing. I know for a fact that the car has been driven over 5000 miles with the different tires. Maybe upto 20000. I just did not know any damage was done when I bought it.

Last edited by Wiz; 10-16-2003 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:31 PM
JJay

18 inch or 17 inch tires

So what you are saying is that if you put 17's or 18's on an SVX you will most certainly have wheel bearing problems and transfer clutch problems.

Please refer me to a thread talking more on this. Thank you.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor

Wiz,

I called Stanly Subaru and put in a request for the tires to be checked to see if thats what caused the problem.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:08 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: 18 inch or 17 inch tires

Quote:
Originally posted by JJay
So what you are saying is that if you put 17's or 18's on an SVX you will most certainly have wheel bearing problems and transfer clutch problems.

Please refer me to a thread talking more on this. Thank you.
I don't see any post on this thread saying that. What we are pretty sure of, though, is that having tires with significantly different rolling diameters (say, when the fronts get more worn than the rears or if you replace only the fronts) will damage your transfer clutch assembly.

Also, while I agree that measuring the circumference on Wiz's old tires will tell us something, I don't think it tells us the whole story. Measuring the circumference, as has been suggested on thsis thread, has to be done with the car's weight off the tire. That tells us nothing about the actual rolling diameter of the tire. Not maintaining the tire pressure correctly can be just as damaging as having tires with significantly different wear.

I keep an eye on my tire pressures and I rotate my tires every time I change my oil - about every 3,000 miles.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-17-2003, 12:22 PM
JJay

sounds good!

I will put that in my notes. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:20 PM

Re: Re: 18 inch or 17 inch tires

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I don't see any post on this thread saying that. What we are pretty sure of, though, is that having tires with significantly different rolling diameters (say, when the fronts get more worn than the rears or if you replace only the fronts) will damage your transfer clutch assembly.

Also, while I agree that measuring the circumference on Wiz's old tires will tell us something, I don't think it tells us the whole story. Measuring the circumference, as has been suggested on thsis thread, has to be done with the car's weight off the tire. That tells us nothing about the actual rolling diameter of the tire. Not maintaining the tire pressure correctly can be just as damaging as having tires with significantly different wear.

I keep an eye on my tire pressures and I rotate my tires every time I change my oil - about every 3,000 miles.
Ok. They said the tires are within the 1/4" margin. So these tires were not at fault. But, they also said its likly that the guy may have done the same thing in the past except that the tires were more than 1/4" different in size.

Seems logical that the guy would have done that before these tires. If he ignored the rule with these ones this time, why not in the past too?

Anyways, there is not much more info they could give me to the cause of the problem becides that the guy must have done that.