How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-24-2003, 04:02 PM
92-svx-LS-i

stalling, throttle response issue

I recently posted a thread with a lot of great feedback, I'm finally taking in my car to get it checked by a subaru dealer. The symptoms are a very high idle when the engine is first started(1.5), as it warms up the idle becomes very rough (tach needle jumps up and down from .1 to 1.5). The engine shakes when im at a stop, and often stalls at lights, but it always starts right back up. Also, When i try to moderately accelerate, not flooring it or anything, the engine doesn't respond, after 5 sec it all of a sudden takes off. The check engine light has never come on during any of this, but from my earlier post i think i have narrowed it down to either the maf, cleaning the throttle body and iac, spark plugs, and check for vacum leaks, is there anything else that could be wrong with it? im taking it in thursday morning so any more ideas would really help, thanks
Old 09-24-2003, 04:28 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Please lets us know what they find. I think you have just about everything possible except maybe the TPS. It is strange that the CEL does not come on. Did you check for codes anyway? CEL burned out?
Old 09-24-2003, 07:16 PM
6evil9

yeah :s

Hey man

u got same problem as i do and someone else did

i put new post here with title: rough idling issue

ok u can narrow ur search by unplugging each injector 1 by 1
if u find that u unplug an injector and it gave u better engine working then others then its faulty one
in my case they were all same so its not ignition problem....

yeah im still woundering around as u do....
Old 09-28-2003, 12:48 AM
6evil9

so?

So have u found what was ur problem? what did subaru dealer say?

im still trying to figure out what mine is
Old 09-29-2003, 01:34 PM
92-svx-LS-i

It turns out it was the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel pump, pretty expensive. The technician luckily, was a former svx owner, so he knew the car pretty well.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:00 PM
The Molinator

Exclamation VERY INTERRRRESTIIING!

I,ve had an intermittent problem [rough idle/high speed shudder] for almost a year [very infrequent tho last 4 to 5 months?]. A friend here told me he had a similar problem with his car (not a Subaru) and it was the fuel pump. I had done so many things and replaced so many parts, we were all running out of ideas. So I thought it might be the FP? I even bot a gauge, which I haven't hooked up yet!

It sounds like part of your problem is very similar to mine! So, I really have to check it out now! THANKS!!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 10-01-2003, 02:17 AM
6evil9

fuel pump?????

hmmm weird, my friend has 94 legacy...fuel pump died on that one
but it was like bad driving and then the car just have not started up

fuel pump changed no problems since then

so in my case fuel pump does not die , and i got absolutely nice driving with revs more then 2500 rpms, but with lower once its bit worse,....but still can drive
fuel consumption is bout 13 -13.5 liters per 100kms so it has not changed i think considering that i started to love pushin accelerator to get into the traffic....

what is fule pressure regulator and where is it located?
Old 10-01-2003, 03:14 AM
The Molinator

Exclamation HOPING it's the FUEL PUMP!!!

Don't know for sure, but think it's on the fuel rail on passenger side of engine.

How much was your fix-up? Please give as much detail as possible, like each part price, and labor, and total price if possible. This will help me immensely when I'm getting my parts and if I have to have it (them) installed.

Don't feel bad if it was a lot. I paid $1800. for PS pump, timing belt, and a couple of engine leaks!

Do you know what the fuel pressure was on your car or what it is supposed to be?

THANKS!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 10-01-2003, 01:25 PM
92-svx-LS-i

the fuel pressure regulator was $120, with $70 of labor. The fuel pump was $350, and the dealer gave me free labor, I don't think i have the same problem as 6evil9, i got a lot more throttle hesitation, especially at 2500 rpm and up, as well as the stalling at idle.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:35 AM
6evil9

well for me when the car is cold, and i accelerate slowly till 100kms it feels like car acelerates in wave pattern like slower faster slower faster then gets bit warm and all fine on 2000rpms +

weird thing aye?
Old 10-03-2003, 03:02 PM
The Molinator

Exclamation WAVES!

Mine has done that wave thing a lot! As well as rough idle plus high speed shuddering!
Old 10-06-2003, 03:26 AM
6evil9

eeeeh

ok i ve changed that vacuum hose from manifold to pressure control, and cleaned tps and throttle body
well seems like car is better, still hoping that little rough iddle now is due to ecu settling down

like rough idle for u, was it like car works stable then drops down in revs then fine then drops then fine
like working at 700rps and dropping down to 500-400 every 1-5 seconds for quarter of a second or so...

coz its what i used to have now its not that bad and it usually fine for 10-30 seconds after driving...
so still hope its not fuel pump

remember i bought 1 of those for my friend with 50% discount and it was hell lotta money!