Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 09-10-2003, 05:42 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nobody Send a message via MSN to Nobody
Atf

Hi guys, I have not been here for a couple of months. I had enjoyed my Burgundy Beauty before transmission died. Damn 2 months after warranty expiration. Now it is beeing repaired so I decided to move to fully synthetic ATF. From discussions there are two winners - RedLine and Mobil1 Synthetic ATF. Problem is that these two products are available only in USA. Exxon guys from both Czech and The Netherlands offices told me that Mobil1 Synthetic ATF is not producing in any european rafinery and is only distributed in the USA. They were not willing to get 12l for me :-))). I know that on european market there is fully synthetic Mobil1 ATF SHC which is different product to Mobil1 Synthetic ATF. I have asked them if Mobile1 ATF SHC is suitable and recomended by Mobile/Exxon for Subaru SVX. They told me that only Mobil1 Synthetic ATF is on the list. So it is magic ring...
Does any of you have some experiencies moveing to fully synthetic ATF, which brand? What do you think about Mobil1 ATF SHC?

Thanx for all replies
Peter
Old 09-10-2003, 11:27 AM

Can't say I can help, but wish I could. You might try joining the forum I list below and see if any European users can obtain product for you.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi
Old 09-10-2003, 02:18 PM
SVXCH

Hi Peter

I looked on Mobil1 Homepage in Switzerland. There are the following products listed:

http://shop.eberhart.ch/bin/srves.ex...iebeschmierung

Is this this ATF what you meen?

Greetings from Switzerland

Kusi
Old 09-10-2003, 02:26 PM

Hi Kusi, yes it is Mobil1 ATF SHC, whic is only sold in Europe. But till now nobody from Mobil/Exxon can not tell me weather it is approved for SVX or not. In US they have Mobil1 synthetic ATF at which Mobil/Exxon says that it is compatible and approved for SVX. It is damn huge company and left hand do not know what makes righ hand if you underestand me :-)
I spent all day calling to Europe/USA offices, they promised me to give result tommorow so I will post it.
Peter
Old 09-10-2003, 05:36 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Oil be back

Peter

They are bound to be slow, even reluctant, to tell you that Mobil 1 ATF SHC is suitable for the SVX.

The car is rare. Even Subaru main dealers know practically nothing about it. There is no easy or quick place for them to find the information for an endorsement. On top of this the transmission was designed and built in Japan by Aisan, and I am willing to bet that precious few of those guys speak English or Czech or Dutch or German.

Underlying all this, the owner's manual recommends Dexron 11 oil for the transmission.

All fully synthetics are graded Dexron 111. [somebody correct me please if I am wrong on this]

In theory, going to Dexron 111 is going to a higher grade which exceeeds the specification laid down for Dexron 11. In practise, on older cars, using the fully synthetic after years of using the standard oil, the synthetic tends to be thinner, finds damaged seals and causes leaks. The oil people know this, and will only give a recommendation that it is OK after they have checked with the tranny manufacturer that it will cause no problems.

Now can you see why they are slow to return with a positive reply??

Joe

PS Good to hear from you guys. Hi Kusi, how are things in Swatchville??
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-10-2003, 05:58 PM
Cuban Assassin

Mobil1 Synthetic ATF

I use Mobil1 Synthetic in my car. It exceeds Dexron III and Mercon and all those designations. It offers more protection and doesn't break down like petroleum based ATF. It aslo stays much more fliud in colder temperatures -48C -55F. Which is very helpful were I live.

I use all synthetic: gear oil for the difs. engine oil and ATF.

This is encouraged by Subaru.

Scott
Old 09-10-2003, 08:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to paddlesnz
CVT Fluid

I've always wondered why FHI only recommends CVT fluid and not ATF for JDM SVX models.

1993 Subaru Alcyone SVX
1980 Isuzu 117 Coupe Giugiaro Edition
1999 Mazda Astina
2006 Honda Legend
2006 Toyota Mark X Premium
2007 Toyota bB
2007 Mazda Roadster RS
2012 Peugeot 208 Allure
Old 09-11-2003, 12:47 AM

Hi Joe, first of all Mobil1 sythetic ATF is fully compatible with Dextron II/III and it is recomended for SVX by Mobil and Subaru as well. I talked with several technicians from Exxon/Mobil about these two products and only solution is that they have in their internal spec. sheets and manuals that only Mobil1 sythetic ATF is suitable for SVX tranny. I have asked them weather I can use Mobil1 ATF SHC instead and they have no mention about SVX in their compatibility list. They told me that there MAY be some problems in tranny (friction etc.) basicly did not recomned anything which is not tested/combatible...
You know tranny is out of car being repaired so no worry about sealings, there will be new ones. I want to give it all the best.
I saw specification of Mobil1 ATF SHC and in couple things is litlle bit better than Mobil1 synthetic ATF (especially in tempetrature).
Question is/was simple, does anybody of european members here use any fully synthetic ATF? Which brand?
It is simple to ask some of my friends to buy it in states but I do not want to use their luggage 25kg limit with my 12 litres of oil:-))
I have sent question to Exxon/Mobil USA headquater but I do belive they will reply...:-)
Old 09-11-2003, 03:05 AM
SVXCH

Hi folks

For mine pinion, not only the ATF is important. I change the transmission oil each year twotimes. Firsttime in primetime, then again before winter season. I know, two times in the year is maybe to much.

But the german firm "Helo Autotechnik", who repair SVX transmissions with warranty says evry year in primetime. It doesn't matter how much km (or miles) you drive since last change.

In the service manual is write, that the ATF has to be changed only every 100'000 km, this time is too long.

@ Joe: In "Swatchville" is everything ok, only Swatch sells last year not so much watches like before

cu Kusi
Old 09-11-2003, 03:21 AM

Ok Kusi so what brand of ATF do you use?
Peter
Old 09-11-2003, 03:43 AM
SVXCH

Subaru Switzerland in Safenwil uses BP AT Oil. It's Dextron III, nothing special.

Kusi
Old 09-11-2003, 07:17 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Talking

Y'know, Kusi,

There is a heck of a lot in what you say. I have not done mine, and will do so as a priority, and once a year after that.

Regards the Swatches, only joking. But if sales are down, suggest to them to look into a wristwatch PDA. They are coming on market, and will be popular with the trendy set.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-15-2003, 06:35 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Caution!

Quote:
Originally posted by Nobody
Hi Joe, first of all Mobil1 sythetic ATF is fully compatible with Dextron II/III and it is recomended for SVX by Mobil and Subaru as well. I talked with several technicians from Exxon/Mobil about these two products and only solution is that they have in their internal spec. sheets and manuals that only Mobil1 sythetic ATF is suitable for SVX tranny. I have asked them weather I can use Mobil1 ATF SHC instead and they have no mention about SVX in their compatibility list. They told me that there MAY be some problems in tranny (friction etc.) basicly did not recomned anything which is not tested/combatible...
You know tranny is out of car being repaired so no worry about sealings, there will be new ones. I want to give it all the best.
I saw specification of Mobil1 ATF SHC and in couple things is litlle bit better than Mobil1 synthetic ATF (especially in tempetrature).
Question is/was simple, does anybody of european members here use any fully synthetic ATF? Which brand?
It is simple to ask some of my friends to buy it in states but I do not want to use their luggage 25kg limit with my 12 litres of oil:-))
I have sent question to Exxon/Mobil USA headquater but I do belive they will reply...:-)
Peter,

I saw another post on ATF, and assume you have been on to John Hoffman.

Just a word of caution on the Mobil 1. In the UK, I have not seen a listing for Mobil 1 ATF. Obviously it exists, as it is used in the States.

However, they do list Mobil 1 SHC. Note it does not say Mobil 1 ATF SHC.
This SHC product is listed as a gear and differential oil, and is SAE 75W to 90W.

If it is the same product as you are encountering, it would not be at all suitable for ATF, way too viscous.

So be careful that you get supplied with the proper oil.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-15-2003, 08:01 AM

Hi Joe,
I am half oil expert now. Mobil1 ATF SHC really exists and as for guys from local branch of EXXON/MOBIL here it is compatible with all Subarus ATs ( so I assume it should also go to SVX because all of them has the same roots in 4EAT). You guys are lucky, you can use the best one I have found (and is strongly recomennded by John Shotsky from SVX Yahoo club) - RedLine High Temp ATF (www.redlineoil.com). This oil has the best parametrs I have found out. It is US company but has distributors in England and Sweeden. As for me it is too expensive sending 12 bottles from England or Sweeden to Czech Republic. I will probably try Mobile with changing it once a year.
It is interesting I wrote to Mobil USA tech. support about Mobil1 synthetic ATF and Mobil1 ATF SHC and they replied that they stopped production in states of Mobil1 ATF SHC in 1992, but it can be found on international markets. I enclose official Mobil/EXXON datasheet for it in Czech, but the parametrs are clear to compare
Peter
Attached Files
File Type: doc atf shc.doc (32.5 KB, 90 views)
Old 09-15-2003, 10:47 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Oil be dammed!

OK Peter,

You have done your homework. I was a bit alarmed they were using the same designation [SHC] for an ATF and a gear oil.

They were obviously not expecting the markets to integrate as much as they have, the Internet was in its infancy in 1992.

I have a Demon Tweeks catalogue which lists a US quart for £8.79 plus vat, approx £10.37. You would need 10 of them [a bit less actually], so the cost would be about £103 plus postage. A bit expensive I suppose, but it could be arranged if you pre-planned before your next oil change, if you really really feel the need for RedLine HiTemp ATF.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: