IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2003, 02:00 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Trans fluid flow path

Can someone confirm for me that the trans fluid flows into the radiator cooler through the passenger's side fitting and out of the driver's side fitting?
Thanks in advance for the help on this.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 07-21-2003, 02:09 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Re: Trans fluid flow path

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXRide
Can someone confirm for me that the trans fluid flows into the radiator cooler through the passenger's side fitting and out of the driver's side fitting?
Thanks in advance for the help on this.
-Bill
Hi Bill,

There's a few threads on this somewhere. I had asked the question myself, but now I've forgotten the answer. :-(

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:22 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

I have a diagram in my locker.You will find it HERE
Old 07-21-2003, 02:38 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Okay, if I read the diagram correctly, the fluid does flow into the radiator through the passenger's side fitting and out the driver's side fitting.
Thanks!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 07-21-2003, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
In the parts diagram it lists part 5 (going into the passenger side of the radiator) as the HOSE ATF IN hose and part 6 (driver's side of the radiator) as the HOSE ATF OUT.

When referring to these hoses as "IN" or "OUT", are they referring to the radiator or the transmission?

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=450-B

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 07-24-2003 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:56 PM

attached is a drawing showing fluid flow from the OEM add-on filter going into the pass side (US versions anyway) and out on the left.

this is from the tech bulletin I got from alldata.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg atfflow.jpg (48.2 KB, 347 views)
Old 07-22-2003, 06:32 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Oh wow I really disagree with that flow path. Which way is the flow in the bottom header of the radiator? It is from the passenger side to the driver side. The oulet form the radiator is on the driver side.

There are two ways to connect a fluid to fluid heat exchanger, parallel flow or counter flow. In parallel flow the hot fluid and cooler fluid move in the same direction and in counter flow they move, well in opposite directions.

In parallel or counter flow, the cooler fliud, the fluid doing the cooling gets hotter as the heat is removed from the hot fluid.

In the parallel flow case the temperature differential between the hot and cool fluid is less because the cooling flow is heated up raising lowest temperature available for cooling.

In counter flow the maximum temperature differential is obtained and the maximum heat transfer rates are obtained as well as the lowest possible outlet temperature for the hot fluid.

The diagrams links above show AFT entering the passenger side. The AFT gives up heat to the coolant. The coolant gets hotter and is still flowing over the AFT heat exchanger in the same direction as the AFT flow. Now there is hotter coolant to cool the AFT. This is parrallel flow.

Reverse the AFT flow so it enters the the driver side. The AFT give up heat to the coolant and the coolant moves off of and away from the AFT heat exchanger. This is counter flow.

With the extra AFT heat exchanger installed in front of the a/c condensor, driver side, half, connected in series after the Raditor cooler, the lowest possible AFT temperature can be obtained.

Heat from the aux AFT cooler will raise the raditor coolant temperature becasue the air passing thru is hotter from the aux trans cooler.

Well any way, that is how I got mine set-up. And this really only matters when one is drving the SVX HARD.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:46 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Okay, here's what I'm seeing so far (yep, glad I asked this question )

If we accept that since the aux filter diagram that Lee provided is consistent the figure that Nubs provided that the flow path is as they indicate then -

Hose 5 is on the Driver's side and ATF In means into the transmission
Hose 6 is on the Passenger's side and ATF Out means out of the transmission

I agree with SVX Commuter that this means we have parallel flow wrt heat transfer, as the radiator coolant flows out of the hose at the bottom of the driver's side of the radiator.

Since there is a pump within the trans that circulates the fluid we are now faced with the fact that either we have the flow path backwards or Subaru made an engineering decision (maybe they were more concerned with warming the trans fluid up?) to go with parallel flow.

My bottom line concern here is that the PermaCool filter I've got does have designated In/Out flow path that supports the filter's "relief" feature (allows for flow even when the filter gets clogged up). Hook it up backwards and, according to the instructions that came with it, you don't get the by-pass when the filter clogs up.

Has anyone actually gotten under their car and seen which line gets hot first?

-Bill

My Locker
Old 07-22-2003, 05:13 PM

I love this site. Always new things to think about.

but first, just to confirm, the OEM flow is from the transmission to the OEM add-on filter, then "in" on the right (US version passenger side) side of the radiator and "out" on the left, then finally back to the transmission pan.

I had never thought about parallel vice counter flow. Is there a reference that describes the dynamics? Seems in counter flow that the end state of the fluid being cooled (which one ATF/Water is suspect here too) is opposite to the hotter end of the cooling fluid. I would suspect a significant temperature differential might be necessary to observe a strong correlation.

In a practical sense anybody have knowledge (or feel strongly) what the temperature differential is from one side to the other?
Old 07-23-2003, 08:52 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Lee,
My guess is that the trans fluid is always hotter than the coolant in the radiator - except when it isn't, and then I think Subaru figured they wanted the coolant to actually bring the trans fluid up to temp so the converter will lock. I've got to figure they did some conductive/convective heat transfer analysis before they decided on the design they implemented.
-Bill
p.s. yeah, this site is the best!

My Locker
Old 07-23-2003, 10:16 AM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXRide
Lee,
My guess is that the trans fluid is always hotter than the coolant in the radiator - except when it isn't, and then I think Subaru figured they wanted the coolant to actually bring the trans fluid up to temp so the converter will lock. I've got to figure they did some conductive/convective heat transfer analysis before they decided on the design they implemented.
-Bill
p.s. yeah, this site is the best!
Hi Bill,

I'm sure the intent of Subaru in placing the ATF cooler inside the radiator was to control the ATF temperature. However, I don't think they properly accounted for city driving in 100F temperatures, and they knew it. Have you ever read the warning label about the ATF temp on the sunvisor? Its quite humorous. Subaru basically says that if the ATF overtemp glows, then you should refrain from hard driving until the light goes off. I LOL'ed when I read that. They are basically admitting that they did not account for all possible driving conditions in designing the cooling system for the ATF. And they never bothered to fix it! That's what kills me.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:31 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
They should have also added to that - if your light goes on, you just toasted you ATF Fluid and you had better change it ASAP!

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 07-23-2003, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by lee
I love this site. Always new things to think about.

but first, just to confirm, the OEM flow is from the transmission to the OEM add-on filter, then "in" on the right (US version passenger side) side of the radiator and "out" on the left, then finally back to the transmission pan.

This is directly from the SVX service manual on the cooling section diagram:

The ATF cooler INLET hose B (#18) is going INTO the DRIVER'S side of the radiator.

The ATF cooler OUTLET hose B (#19) is coming OUT of the PASSENGER side of the radiator

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 07-23-2003, 12:28 PM
sans SVX

another way to look at this...

The ATF line out of the tranny is at the bottom of the tranny, right? Trace that line to the radiator and that is the ATF line into the radiator.

Visit my locker

Old 07-23-2003, 01:03 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by svxcess

This is directly from the SVX service manual on the cooling section diagram:

The ATF cooler INLET hose B (#18) is going INTO the DRIVER'S side of the radiator.

The ATF cooler OUTLET hose B (#19) is coming OUT of the PASSENGER side of the radiator
Well I have not looked at the service manual's but when I installed my cooler I also flushed the tranny. I pulled the hoses off of the hard lines to check the flow path and the way I showed was the way I hooked up my filter and cooler. It has been that way for almost three years know.