Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 06-06-2003, 07:36 AM

Question Self-adhesive Dash Kits

Where can I get one of those self-adhesive dash kits that are available in the USA in perhaps carbon fibre or brushed aluminium to cover the hideous cheap wood effect dash I currently have. Obviously I want a kit for a right hand drive SVX and I would have thought they were available for the Japanese market. What on earth possessed Subaru to fit that horrible standard dash? It just doesn't fit in with the state of the art, quirky image that the SVX has.

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

The Monzta

'96 Subaru SVX (111K) - UK spec
'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)
'93 Toyota Estima Lucida (37K) - JDM import

My psychiatrist says I'm suffering from paranoia........but he's always hated me!!!
Old 06-06-2003, 09:41 AM
Phil & Belha

I quite like it myself

Perhaps these people can help you..

http://www.exoticwooddash.com/eursubaru.htm

I know that the Japanese club were planning to have a set of real wood dash's made up, but I don't know if they got anywhere.

We discovered at the meet last year that there are at least two different colours of the original fake wood. Phil & Angie Hill's car ('96?) has a light brown "wood" whilst all the other cars (mainly 92's and 93's) have a dark brown "wood".

Are you coming to the UK meet in August?

Phil & Belha.
Old 06-08-2003, 02:02 PM

Phil & Belha,

Thanks for the link to exoticwooddash.com. No joy I'm afraid so I'm still on the hunt for a RHD version of the self-adhesive dash kits.

I can't believe the techno minded Japanese tool around contentedly in their rather nasty faux wood dashed SVXs. I'm sure someone out there in the land of the rising sun must have at some point created something more in fitting wih the theme of the car. And so the search continues.

PS....I won't be at the meet in August. Though I am up for the idea of any other SVX owners in the SW of England getting together for regular pub meets. I don't know how many owners there are in Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Dorset, Wiltshire, Hampshire etc. but there must be a few.

'96 Subaru SVX (111K) - UK spec
'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)
'93 Toyota Estima Lucida (37K) - JDM import

My psychiatrist says I'm suffering from paranoia........but he's always hated me!!!
Old 06-08-2003, 04:20 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Hi Monzta

We held our 10th Anniversary meet last year in Devon, in Tor Bay. Lovely time had by all. There are a fair few members in the area around Devon and Cornwall.

Pity you can't come this time.

I think the fake wood looks bad, but acceptable. I think carbon fibre stick-on panels would look silly. The car weighs 1.6 tonnes empty! Token attempts at putting fake lightweight materials on board run contrary to the ethos. It is a heavy high speed tourer, like the Monza.

Look at some of the real wood used in Rover P5s and so on, ugly stuff, like plywood varnished. In latter years, most are emulating RR and going for Burr Elm or Walnut, looks opulent, and certainly not cheap. But some are still using imitation.

Have seen some of the US cars wearing an aluminium dash set which at least looks stylish and is not pretending to be lightweight. Probably not made in RHD though.

Your very best bet for a source of these dash kits would be Paddlesnz, and maybe Jamsvx would know. You should PM your request to these two guys, get them in the members list. If they don't know about it, it does not exist.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: