How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-24-2002, 05:25 AM
billisa

Cool I am watching

Now billisa I hope you are watching all this as you started this bouncy ball rolling [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the replies. Instead of getting a new cap, does anyone know what size gasket would fit inside the cap?
Old 10-24-2002, 02:29 PM

Registered SVX
Good on you billisa, you have the right " do it yourself " spirit. You should come down and join us Kiwis.

However in this instance you would I think be better advised to get a replacement cap as it should not be all that expensive.

My wife is away for the day in my/our car at the moment so I am unable to have a second look at the problem involved but recall that the gasket is under the spring retaining arrangement which did not appear easy to remove and replace. The other difficulty is locating a suitable piece of neoprene from which to cut a replacement. It all adds up to frustration which may not be worth any saving you may make.

As a second thought -- have a good look at it and the surface it seals against for smoothness and dirt. Follow your nose as after all it is no more high tech than a jam jar lid ! You will see how the cam like arrangement and spring exerts pressure as the lid is turned and why when you back it off there is more pressure. If you can find a vent put up a rocket !

It will be interesting to hear from you as to whether the noise you are experiencing disappears when you replace or fix the cap. If it does not you will have to tackle the O ring but this is far from a disaster.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-24-2002, 07:11 PM
billisa

Thanks Trevor.

Backing off the cap has definitely eliminated the noise/vibration I experienced. Apparently a new cap is around US$35. and I may just leave well enough alone for a while and see what happens. Thanks again.

Bill