Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Competition Motorsports

Old 05-30-2008, 12:12 AM

New times from Cordova Dragway

Well, Cordova dragway is the nearest dragstrip to me, and i decided to make the trip (80 miles or so) over last weekend and see if my car has made any improvements.

Sorry, I don't have videos up yet, but it's really not anything TOO impressive. Basically just a stock SVX. I'll see what I can do about videos though. (We also did some flyby ones which sound sweeeeeet.)

And yes, I know the SVX is not exactly a drag car, but I still like going there and just seeing if I can improve. I don't think I'm king of the streets or anything.

Anyway, I can't find last years slips but my best before was 16.1 @83.45 I THINK. It's been a while.

SO on to it, here are my new ones: I don't have a scanner, so I'll just type them.

R/T: .345
60' : 2.332
330: 6.652
1/8 : 10.249
MPH: 68.96
1000: 13.307
1/4: 15.942
MPH: 85.17

And my 2nd run...

R/T: .323
60' : 2.336
330: 6.674
1/8 : 10.268
MPH: 68.64
1000: 13.342
1/4: 15.969
MPH: 85.25

Like I said, nothing too impressive, but these are basically baseline runs. The mods on the car now are ECUtune 1v5, fender mounted intake, smallcar shiftkit, and NGK Iridium plugs (if you count that as a mod.) These runs were also done with the Rota Slipstreams and 245/40zr17 Cooper 2xs tires. This car is VERY consistant though, so it will be easy to tell if improvements actually "improved" anything. And so far, I'd say yes they have. Also of note last time I removed the spare tire and some other junk from the trunk but this time decided to keep everything in there to get a better idea of what it would actually do on the street.

So, I'm happy. I dropped 2 tenths with more weight, had a good time, and didn't break anything.

Next mod I'm doing is 4.11 gears. I think that should wake the car up quite a bit. I'm HOPING for maybe a 15.3 with the 4.11's Maybe I'm being too optomistic, but we'll just have to find out.

Anyway, as I mentioned I'm not trying to break any land speed records. This is just a nice hobby for me, and I thought I'd share with you all how I did.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!

Last edited by Nevin; 05-30-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:26 PM

Try a lightweight pulley,I've had the small crank pulley with no issues for seven years,Also remove your power steering pulley and belt,buy a 305k4 accessory belt to fit around your belt tensioner,alternator and crank only frees up horsepower.I ran 15.6 at 86 stock with a 94 fwd.After the belt and pulley I HIT 15.4 an 15.3s all day at 88mph.Brake torque your car as much as possible your 60ft is killing you.If a fwd can cut low 2.2s you should see even better times with a good 60 ft.Good luck
Old 05-31-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredx2 View Post
Try a lightweight pulley,I've had the small crank pulley with no issues for seven years,Also remove your power steering pulley and belt,buy a 305k4 accessory belt to fit around your belt tensioner,alternator and crank only frees up horsepower.I ran 15.6 at 86 stock with a 94 fwd.After the belt and pulley I HIT 15.4 an 15.3s all day at 88mph.Brake torque your car as much as possible your 60ft is killing you.If a fwd can cut low 2.2s you should see even better times with a good 60 ft.Good luck
I like to keep things "normal" at the strip so I know how my car will react all the time, so I don't think I'll be removing any pullies or much weight reduction or anything like that. I'd be down with a lightweight pulley though, so maybe I can give that a whirl.

Also, I WAS brake-torquing the heck out of it. Both times I was around 2700 rpm. I think my 245 tires hook up too much for the power I have and bog the car down a bit. I was kinda surprised though. Even in my ATX probe (FWD v-6) I could get 2.3 60' times, so having the same on an AWD car that actually HAS torque kinda made me wonder what was going on.

Also, on this run I was way overdue for an oil change, I think I need to replace my o2 sensors, also my P/S is starting to whine, so maybe it could be sapping power? And the car is running GOOD, but it always seems like it doesn't have as much pep at the track as it does out on an open road... Don't know what to think about that. I was hoping it would trap like 88-89 the first time out and then was kinda disappointed when it only did 83 or whatever.

Any other small tips welcome though, and thanks for the recommendations!

Last edited by Nevin; 05-31-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:24 AM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
Take out your Passenger turn signal so air flow is better to the airbox.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 06-01-2008, 03:41 PM

Well, here is another old trick if you don't do nothing else,stop at a store near the track buy about three bags of ice to cool your intake manifold,letting your car sit for at least 30-45 mins.Your tires are too much for your hp level right now.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:20 PM

I did think of ice, but not until I had already left! Oh well.

One of the next things I am planning on doing is the Outlaw Spacers anyway. I have experience with them on my other cars and love how they've worked. In my experience, they give almost the same effect as ice, but give the same effect all the time...and not just when there is ice on the manifold.

Well anyway. Hopefully next time out is better!

Old 06-02-2008, 08:40 PM

I do have a stock sized set of Michelin all season tires on my stock rims. I should throw those on my spare RX-7 rims and go back and see if there's a difference.

I do agree that I have too much tire for the HP I have though. I do prefer the handling characteristics of this setup though, and they do look oh so sexy.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
I like to keep things "normal" at the strip so I know how my car will react all the time, so I don't think I'll be removing any pullies or much weight reduction or anything like that. I'd be down with a lightweight pulley though, so maybe I can give that a whirl.

Also, I WAS brake-torquing the heck out of it. Both times I was around 2700 rpm. I think my 245 tires hook up too much for the power I have and bog the car down a bit. I was kinda surprised though. Even in my ATX probe (FWD v-6) I could get 2.3 60' times, so having the same on an AWD car that actually HAS torque kinda made me wonder what was going on.

Also, on this run I was way overdue for an oil change, I think I need to replace my o2 sensors, also my P/S is starting to whine, so maybe it could be sapping power? And the car is running GOOD, but it always seems like it doesn't have as much pep at the track as it does out on an open road... Don't know what to think about that. I was hoping it would trap like 88-89 the first time out and then was kinda disappointed when it only did 83 or whatever.

Any other small tips welcome though, and thanks for the recommendations!
We don't have drag racing over here, so take my recommendations with a pinch of salt.

First, I agree with powered, you are wearing too much tire for the job with standard horsepower. You should do the run with standard tires, plus you should put at least 4 or 6 lbs more pressure in them than is recommended by Subaru.

As regards your oil being due a change, in my experience fresh oil is always more viscous than used up oil, and your engine will probably spin faster with less internal drag using the old oil. I would expect your figures to disimprove with new fresh oil.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 06-03-2008 at 09:00 AM. Reason: remove ambiguity
Old 06-03-2008, 06:40 PM

Go buy 4 205/40/16s for the stock wheels and watch the difference at your next outing.Better gearing,less weight,less friction on your contact patch.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredx2 View Post
Go buy 4 205/40/16s for the stock wheels and watch the difference at your next outing.Better gearing,less weight,less friction on your contact patch.
I appreciate the concern, lol but I'm not going to go out and buy new tires just so I can slightly improve my drag times. I didn't buy the car to go drag racing in the first place. It's a reliable daily driver that I just happen to take to the track when I can. Like I said, I much prefer the car's handling dynamic with this size tire, and am willing to give up straight line performance.

Once I get the new tranny in, and put a few more horses under the hood, I think they'll be about the right size anyway.

On a different note, I'm curious what the car would run in RWD. Drive to the track in AWD, pull the front axles and make a couple runs, and throw them back in for the drive home. Just curious, that's all. I doubt I'll actually do it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: