Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 12-04-2006, 10:05 PM

I'm not quite sure that works

I started with a 90 olds cutlass supreme, but that got T-boned, and with the insurance money given me by the other guy, i got a legacy, that got totalled, and with that guys insurance money, i got a nissan altima. then i ended up just getting my svx from my parents for giving my altima to my sister. I'm sticking with the 'buy him like a geo metro' or real old crapy car.

'92 LS-L, exhaust, intake, audio, ecu 1V4?, hyper ground kit.
Next changes ... PAINT, fix engine problems, 4.44. (GONE)

'97 Impreza Outback Sport, magnaflow muffler, cold air intake, Alpine Type S, MP3/iPod deck, NGK wires, etc.(GONE)
Old 12-04-2006, 10:42 PM
Hater

give him the same beginning driving experience i had, and get him one of these:

he won't be able to get into too much trouble with 84hp, and he will appreciate ANY car he gets after driving a crap-box like that.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 12-05-2006, 06:15 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
give him the same beginning driving experience i had, and get him one of these:

he won't be able to get into too much trouble with 84hp, and he will appreciate ANY car he gets after driving a crap-box like that.
Hey Landshark that's what I learned to drive stick on. Used to steal my brothers until I somehow managed to kill the clutch. Still got in home that night but the next morning it was a no-go. When I finally got a EA-81 Hatch I was so amazed how much better of a car it was than the Omni. There wasn't a rattle coming from every single plastic bit in the thing!
Old 12-05-2006, 06:44 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Well, I can't say that I've been paying for the insurance or maintenance on the car (aside from oil changes and the occasional wheel bearing). But, my dad said that if I wrecked, he wouldn't renew the insurance so I keep that in the back of my mind all the time. I can't really afford to buy a new car or pay for insurance at this stage in the game.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 12-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Yup, stick with responsibility

As long as you tell him or try to beat it into him he will never learn, and very well may rebell just for being sick of hearing dad preach, but if he learns that he is responsible and you work with him you have a good chance of teaching him
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:58 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Hey Landshark that's what I learned to drive stick on. Used to steal my brothers until I somehow managed to kill the clutch. Still got in home that night but the next morning it was a no-go. When I finally got a EA-81 Hatch I was so amazed how much better of a car it was than the Omni. There wasn't a rattle coming from every single plastic bit in the thing!

i remember having to shut off the AC so it would make it up a steep hill i used to take. it literally did not have the power to go up it with the AC on.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 12-05-2006, 03:19 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
My Justy was a fun car to learn on. Also takes a long time to reach 80mph
Old 12-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Well people tend to be reluctant to do something stupid after it all goes to smash once, but that approach tends to be expensive. I agree with all the suggestions of limiting what he can do and make him responsable for it. Don't provide anything for him. Make him pay his own insurance, gas, maintenance, tickets, make him drive the most underpowered thing on four-ish wheels... You didn't say if he already is, but that would be somewhere to start.

My 87 year old grandfather is in no condition to drive now, but still wants to. The argument we're using for him is that if he kills himself it doesn't really matter, he's had a good run. But what about the parents he kills who's children now grow up orphans? I don't complain about chaufeuring him around, he does have a 2005 Forester....

Of course I give advice, but I'm still a 20 year old guy who knows exactly what speed his car is governed to. My philosophy is that if someone's willing to deal with the consequences, and those consequences affect ONLY them, then go for it. I'll do my thing, but only if I know that I'm the only one who will get into trouble.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 12-06-2006, 02:58 AM

i can say from personal experience that i was one of those 17 year old kids

my mom told me the first speeding ticket i got...my liscence is gone that kept me in check

when i really learned that people don't just walk around in their own special protective bubble is when i joined as a volunteer on a rescue squad...

short form of the story, two 17 year old boys were speeding down the road and the driver wrapped his passager side front door around a telephone pole. the driver was okay..and i was the first one to the car. the passager was unconscious and posturing (something that people do when they significant brain damage...possibly a bleed) and bleeding from the ears and the mouth. i wasn't small enough to squeeze into the car to really get to him, so i squeezed the best i could...

while the crash team cut the car up so we could get him out...i talked to him..i called his name out with no response. i just kept suctioning the blood out of his mouth to keep his airway open. as soon as we got him out the medivac landed and he was off to a trauma center.

lucky he is alive and not dependent on a ventilator, probably because the quick response of the helicopter and the flight team. by the grace of god he is walking and talking, not as great as he was but he still moves air through his lungs

this wasn't the first and wasn't the last accident i cried my way home from. most cars i've seen with half that damaged, passagers were not that lucky

i was 18

now i am 24 and an emergency room RN.. and the stories get worse because now i not only deal with the dying child...but the family as they watch

pictures and stories won't cure it...mom and dad telling him how bad and dangerous a car really is won't do it....don't you know, he knows everything. saddly the first accident that was close to home for me.. i was 16 and three kids were killed in a car accident, i was dating a passager

i guess just remind him that driving is something a responsible adult does and if he tends to continue to drive...he will do it responsibly....you have the power to take his keys away. if he was my kid....i would take him to work with me..

i hope the best in the world for you and your son...i hope he comes around...good luck

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:10 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Well...My mother was always realy laid back. She had a kindof "Youll regret mistakes later" kindof attitude toward me learning stuff like this. For example, when I failed 6th grade because I'm a lazey, no homeworking little kid, she didnt get mad..at all. Just a "well, when all your friends are graduating youll be mad you had to stay back" And damnit, she was right!(Though I did meet like 300 new people)

As for the car...I started with an 89 cadillac fleetwood that I bought because it had comfortable seats. I liked it's style, and it had class. What I didnt realize, was that just about the only working thing on it was the check engine light.Hell, the thing didnt go over 50...(though I did get it up to 80 once rolling down a big hill) ..But it didnt matter..I only used it around town, and hell, I drove like an old lady anyway.It soon was just too broken to fix.

Now, I can honestly say, my parents didnt give me a single dime towards anything other than having a roof over my head and food in the refridgerator. I bought my car myself, registered it in my name, shopped for my own car insurance, made my own car insurance payments to my policy in my name, payed every dime of gas for the car, and even did my own repairs. I decided to buy another car to replace the anemic cadillac....my 94 SVX..because hell, the price was right and it actually went.

As soon as I sat in the seat I became idiot driver guy. Hell, I had the thing up to 120 on the way home. At the time, I really only sped on highways and abandonded roads, and kept my otherwise irritatingly safe driving habits. I learned pretty quick to avoid speeding on highways when I was pulled over. I got a ticket that, because the officer lost my licence, I was luckily able to battle it down to a neglible loss of 330$ and an afternoon in the Dennisville township Municiple court. No points..I got off lucky

Still sped on abandoned roads every so often. I suppose I was a little too rough on the car, because the engine took a dive, and the valve seals went bad. I have not taken the car to a mechanic in the entire year I had it..I put in my own engine, and later fixed an issue or two with the power steering. So...after that, I prettymuch decided not to stomp on the gas pedal so much...and slowly started pushing my luck in the corners, seeing how much speed I could carry

My luck pushed back recently. I lost controll of the car and slid it backwards off the road, putting the rear quarterpanel at the c-pillar into a tree. The car is very obviously totaled, but I steped out of it like a kid who just got off a good roller coaster...Completely unharmed. Hell, I thwarted the nearby stickerbushed efforts just to say I got out without a single scratch

Yes, I am keeping the not taking it to a mechanic tradition, and yes, I am rebuilding the car, in one way shape or form

So, looks like it back to driving like an old lady. Sometimes though, theres just no way to convince a kid they are doing wrong, they just need to realize it themselves.You can nguide them however you feel, but ultimatly your just going to hope that when they make a mistake, they step out safe and wise. Whoever mentuioned the driving school....It is a decent idea. Much like Karate, although it teaches you something potentially dangerious, youll also grow to respect the power you have.
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Last edited by It's Just Eric; 12-07-2006 at 08:15 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: