SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 11-08-2006, 06:33 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Diesel

Why do diesel engines require different oil?
Old 11-09-2006, 01:32 PM

The diesel motors create alot of soot and the oil designed for diesel is suppose to suspend the soot particals so the soot can make it's way to the filter instead of collecting somewhere in the engine.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:06 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX
Thanks, I currently use diesel oil but someone told me to switch to Mobile 1.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Yeah, yeah....that's it! What he said....

Old 11-10-2006, 05:54 AM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX
Come on, I know better than that! That's why I asked, why else would they make 50 different kinds of diesel oils. Besides I don't even trust Mobil 1 to begin with, it made my svx weap from every gasket.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:45 AM

I can't tell you which oil to use because I don't switch around and take oil samples to see how things are wearing however for what it's worth I've used Shell Rotella15-40 in my semi and have no unusual wear areas or leaks. I would try to stick to one type of oil/weight as much as possible becuase there are slight differences and you want the motor to wear evenly. I think as long as you use a quality name brand oil and change your fluids often you'll be fine. The fuel you use also plays a part in the lubricity of the injectors and cylinder walls as diesels have high compression and alot of blow-by. Use quality fuel from reliable fueling stations because as diesel settles it starts to seperate and the lubricity of the fuel will change. Two things that shorten the life of a diesel motor is driver controlled. Lugging a diesel motor with all that high compression will wear out your bearings quicker, and make your oil dirtier quicker becuase the exploded gases will be wasted as blow-by instead of doing useful work of turning the crank. Second, running high RPM's will shorten the turbo and flatten out the cams at a quicker rate. Good luck and sorry about the weaping SVX. If a seal has a chance of leaking synthetic oils will let you know. On the bright side Sythentics clean up easier
Old 11-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
My favorite word

But...my diesel has no turbo... yet...
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:39 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hose92SVX
I can't tell you which oil to use because I don't switch around and take oil samples to see how things are wearing however for what it's worth I've used Shell Rotella15-40 in my semi and have no unusual wear areas or leaks. I would try to stick to one type of oil/weight as much as possible becuase there are slight differences and you want the motor to wear evenly. I think as long as you use a quality name brand oil and change your fluids often you'll be fine. The fuel you use also plays a part in the lubricity of the injectors and cylinder walls as diesels have high compression and alot of blow-by. Use quality fuel from reliable fueling stations because as diesel settles it starts to seperate and the lubricity of the fuel will change. Two things that shorten the life of a diesel motor is driver controlled. Lugging a diesel motor with all that high compression will wear out your bearings quicker, and make your oil dirtier quicker becuase the exploded gases will be wasted as blow-by instead of doing useful work of turning the crank. Second, running high RPM's will shorten the turbo and flatten out the cams at a quicker rate. Good luck and sorry about the weaping SVX. If a seal has a chance of leaking synthetic oils will let you know. On the bright side Sythentics clean up easier
I'm running tection extra 15w40 and have no problems thus far. I don't have much of a choice in fuel tho, I get it at a truck stop. By lugging do you mean traveling at low rpms, I never rev to high because it sounds like crap. I'd guess I shift at 4000 as I have no tach. No turbo either, its only a 1.5 litre.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:05 PM

Not so much low RPM's as much as low RPM's and under load, like useing too high of gear when going up a hill and the motor is barely chugging up the hill. The owners manual should give a operating area that you should try to stay within. (opps just read you don't have tach, just use your better judgement and stay in the middle when under a load.) Like you, I don't always get to pick the greatest looking truckstops to buy fuel from. From what I've heard the newer fuel for 2007 has lower sulfer then before so the fuel has less lubricity then before so who knows what effect this will have on our diesels. B-5 to B-20 biodiesel is suppose to help with the lubricity so you could try to convince your local truckstop to stock that. The injectors shoot at something like 35,000 psi on a diesel verses 5,000psi for a gas engine so you can see the importance of slippery fuel. Anyway nice talking to you and good luck with your vehicles. Adam

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: