Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 08-22-2006, 08:47 PM
Hater

my wife saw a centipede in the laundry room yesterday, so i had to go on a mission today blasting the whole house with my big gallon insecticide sprayer.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 08-22-2006, 08:56 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Scorpions are really fun.........

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 08-22-2006, 09:02 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
oh man I hate bees....Goes back to when I was about 6 or so I got stung like 5 times one day...and anther few times later that week
My yard was always riddles with junk. At one time we had an old pool filter that wasps LOVED to be in. It was perfect....a big bucket filled 3/4ths with sand that culd only be accessed through a few cracks and the two tubes going into the filter.
My cousin got stung one day and we exacted out revenge....We had mixed up a batch of rather overchorinated water..By which I mean the water was visibly white with chlorine, and the drips from the water pistols stripped and bleached our thompsons water-seal'd pressure treated wood deck to a white color only matched by that of a fresh pair of fruit of the loom briefs. We also mixed up a bucket of similar concentration. He started with the plan of assult with a few sprays into the filter inlets. As soon as they started to come out, I poured the bucket on them.That prettymuch ended it right there....I mean, you could have easilly killed a horse...farm... with the amount of chemicals we dumped on that thing.

...grass still doesnt grow there come to think of it. Well worth it

Oh, tobasco sauce works good too. Just give them a little splash and watch them curl up into a ball and die.

my dad had made a soda bottle trap for greenheads, it works great. Greenheads are basicly horse flys on crack. they have green eyes..usually the size of a small bee...and will go in for an attack for hours if needed. When they bite, you feel it. Its like a bee sting without the itchyness afterword...

Okay..so yeah, enough with my insect stories from yesteryear...hopefully you can get rid of your wasp problem. Good luck
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 08-22-2006, 10:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sorceror
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberRoo
(...and I thought I was the only one who's tried this.)

So there was this yellowjacket nest outside my basement door. I hadn't noticed it until I was vacuuming nearby and I upset them. A few came out of their nest and started buzzing obscenities at me. Since I had this shop vac in my hand, I switched the thing on and sucked 'em up. Problem solved.

I began looking around to find out where these little thugs had come from. I quickly found an opening near the house where several yellowjackets were standing sentry out front while other bees came and went. With the vacuum still in hand, I decided to suck them up. They were no match for the shop vac. Within a minute, more bees came up from inside the opening and took place of the missing sentries. Not a wise move. "This is my hood, bee-itches!" Naturally, I sucked them up too.

I started experimenting. By starting with the nozzle of the vacuum several inches away, I could see their wings fluttering from the suction. As I got closer, their whole bodies started to flutter. If I kept my distance they would quickly get tired of this and attempt to move, but as soon as they lifted one leg the other five legs would give way and they'd disappear into my magic suction tube. If your eyes were quick enough to catch it, you could see them go spinning off into the tube because the last leg to release would cause them to tumble end over end. Oh, fun.

The next thing I noticed was that any bees arriving and departing from the terminal would also be sucked into the vacuum if their flight pattern came too close. The vacuum's range on the grounded bees is only about two inches, but airborne bees were vulnerable from about eight inches away, especially the slow-flying ones. Since most of the bees were either landing or taking off, they generally flew by slowly enough they didn't stand much chance of escaping.

I found it amusing to watch these bees crawl out of their hive and stand up slightly to open their wings, only to fly about four inches before being sucked into my Bermuda Triangle. The incoming bees would almost touch down before they too were whisked away into the dark hole.

Although I found this terribly entertaining at first, I eventually grew tired of it. Since I though it best to rid myself of the nest entirely, I propped the vacuum nozzle close to the hive's opening and left it running. I returned an hour later to find that I'd pretty much relocated the entire colony into my dust bag. While this may not have been agreeable to them, I was satisfied with this solution.

About a week later I noticed a bit of activity at the nest, so I enjoyed sucking up more bees for a few minutes and then left the vacuum running to finish the job. The Second Coming was enough to finish the job once and for all. There was never a recurrence of activity at the nest.

The epilogue to this story will likely not be relevant to anyone, but I learned something interesting about dead bugs. Months had gone by since the bee-sucking campaign, and the vacuum sat unused. This was not a problem until I tried to use it. Little did I anticipate the profoundly foul odor of dead insects. One dead bug has no appreciable odor. Thousands of dead bugs smell absolutely horrible. Replacing the dust bag was an unpleasant task, but it did greatly improve the smell of the exhaust air from the vacuum. In order to completely rid myself of the rotting insect odor, I had to use bleach to clean the vacuum.

Be warned; Bugs do rot. Dead bugs in large enough quantities will smell awful.

Recently I used the vacuum trick with carpenter ants. They'd come marching by as if they owned the place, flashing gang signs with their antennae. I wasn't going to have any of that in my domain. They step on my turf, and they're crossing a man with a suction can. Surprisingly the vacuum was also effective with the little black storm troopers, though not to the same degree as it was with the bees, because, well, ants just aren't as busy as bees, so it takes longer for all of them to cross the path of my vortex of doom. Unlike the bees, the ants received a prompt burial. Lesson learned.

(Incidentally, it's easiest to just wait until night before doing anything with them. They get sleeeepy...)
You need to submit this story to the National Enquirer. It was well written and I know it will work. I too have used the tube of death on flying beasties.

Thank you for the great writting!

I am stil LMFAO.

What people don't know is the bugs pretty much die from the trauma while being sucked in ... If you use a realy nice in home vacum cleaner with an attachable nozzle The bugs actually pass through a fan or cutter. It obliterates them.

Thanks again for the great writing.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:29 PM

Hey all you guys with the chemical weapons idea remember he has really expensive fish in the pond. He has to use other means to destroy the little beasties.

Not mention he has also mentioned he may be allergic to their stings.

If you decide to use the vacum cleaner wear good leather gloves, a long sleeve shirt and jacket, I don't recommend shorts . A ski mask may be in order as well. Also and very important. Do at after the sun sets as Uberoo suggested. They are day hunters. If you get lucky you might even pull the whole nest into the vacum on the first try.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:01 AM
SVX Appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceror
You need to submit this story...
Thank you for the great writting!
I am stil LMFAO.
Thanks. It's been blogged already.

During my initial bee-sucking venture, I used a length of two-inch PVC pipe as a vacuum extension.

There's another story I can tell about bees - perhaps less humorous, but still interesting:

I once had rather large bee hive take up residence on a wooden sawhorse. It seems an unlikely location, but who knows how their planning committees work. Anyway, the nest was uncomfortably close to where I was working, and during August, bees become quite ornery. I attempted to lasso the sawhorse with a long rope and drag it away. My lasso came loose after I'd moved the nest only about five feet. Of course, a cloud of bees immediately filled the air, but I was at a safe distance. Several hours later, the same cloud of bees was still hovering about. That surprised me, but the next morning was even more surprising. There were no bees at all!

I didn't understand why they all left, but from my perspective the issue had been resolved, so I put the sawhorse back. ...and within a few hours, the hive was active again. Beesnest as usual. Again, I moved the nest. Again, a swarm that lasted until the next day. And then, again nothing. This time I moved the nest half way back - only about two feet. The bees returned, though more slowly this time. That got me curious.

I crept out that night, well after dark and I simply picked up the sawhorse and set it on a sheet of plywood with a rope tied around it. I was quick, and got out of there promptly, but it was easy to do without getting attacked - successfully anyway. (It's hard to tell what's going on at night.) The next day, I slowly drug the sawhorse across the yard about a hundred feet. The sawhorse moved, but the big swarm of bees didn't. The next day, the nest was empty. ...and again, I moved it back and activity resumed.

So bees appear to have pretty good navigation systems. I eventually managed to migrate the entire colony to the other side of my yard, but only at about three feet per day. Very strange.

As for my bee solutions, I like the violent ones. I've simply held garbage bags below a nest and knocked the whole thing into it in the middle of the night. A few manage to escape, but if you're quick, you can trap the majority of them. The dark really seems to slow them down. I've never been stung at night, nor during my daylight capers, but my late night assaults are considerably more brazen.

I thought about simply placing a fan near the opening of a hive to see if I could keep them from getting back in. I've sealed the openings shut before, but they just make new ones. The larger nests often have multiple openings anyway. I've also thought about asphyxiating them with bottled gasses or just car exhaust. Perhaps simply placing an open container of something with noxious and volatile vapors near the opening of the nest would have an effect. I want to try placing a glass container over a nest to see if they can figure out how to go around it. Windows seem to stump them, so I figure they'll keep bumping up against a pane of glass as long as it obstructs the shortest distance between point A and point B.

On another note, I've adopted the term "chemical warfare" to refer to the use of mosquito repellent.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:41 AM

Good stuff. I have a few bee/wasp stories from both my home and camping trips.

Your writings are more fun to read.

My family and I are in no way allergic to them. I used to deliberately step on them (barefooted) and smash them between my two hands when they were in bushes. We all did this when we were kids and on dares of course. Now I have no reaction to their stings at all.

So a Blatant out right assault is the tactic I use. But nightime is usually a little easier if you want to get them all.

I once watched a documentary on bees. You are right they have a very keen sense of direction. When they find a good area for pollen they go back to the hive and do a dance. The Dance, it has been proven scietifically, describes to the whole hive the route they took.

Tubes and baseball bats forever baby! Whoops your rope idea is a good one too!
Old 08-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:

So there was this yellowjacket nest outside my basement door........
that was awesome!

Junebug traps also have the stench after being out in the yard for a month. I always wait until trash day to toss the bag cause if you leave it in the garbage can for more than a day the garbage man might die.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:07 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
For a whiff that will straghten your nostril hairs, try a full japanese beetle trap after a weeklong fermentation in the sun.

Ron (been there, done that).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:07 PM
Back Road Blazer

Send a message via AIM to black beast
I saw on the discovery chanel that honey farmers use smoke to calm the bees. They said it was very close to a scent that bees use to tell the rest of the colony that something is coming that they should not attack. I guess that burnt newspapers would work...
Also flame throwers, take any aerosol can and a lighter (stick) burn baby burn!
Mahhahahahaha!
Man I killed a whole nest like that! they kept on fling at the flame to defend their nest and bye bye! Spray paint too, once their wings get even a speck of paint on them (more is better) they fly away and die (they can't fly as their wings are too heavy or something, ask a painter)
Hope that helps
'94 ebony pearl, with orange "silicone" hoses, painted beauty cover, Tom's Intake, Dayles Cold air intake; with HKS mega suction foam air filter, 3in header back exhaust, STI ground wires, euro front fascia, euro front grill, reactive 17in wheels, Nitto Invo's, Drilled and slotted rotors, stainless break lines, Koni strut inserts, Drop springs, 5MT, shotshifter, Clutchmasters clutch, ACT prolite flywheel, EL Glow gauges, The ECUTune stage 2. To Do: Cams, port and polish, etc.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:45 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
I once had rather large bee hive take up residence on a wooden sawhorse.
Thanks for sharing your stories guys, very amused.

I ended up spraying raid into a small eye glass cleaner bottle and used it to spray the nest at night. They are still coming back, but not so many. The ghetto traps have caught a couple and with any luck the population will exhaust tomorrow, or they will give up.

Thanks again guys.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: