SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 08-18-2006, 11:13 AM
no limitation as limitation

prefab housing

has anyone checked out prefab housing? like the lv seirise home found here

or this

april and i like both, but i am uncertain if it's better than buying an existing house. i have spoken with the people who make the lv home. what april wants is a lvl with full basement and a lv as a second story installed, the estimate was 380,000 including 2 lvg car parts plus 120,000 for the mashiko guest house april wants in the backyard. what do you think?
Old 08-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewmongan
has anyone checked out prefab housing? like the lv series home found here

or this

april and i like both, but i am uncertain if it's better than buying an existing house. i have spoken with the people who make the lv home. what april wants is a lvl with full basement and a lv as a second story installed, the estimate was 380,000 including 2 lvg car parts plus 120,000 for the mashiko guest house april wants in the backyard. what do you think?
$380,000??

The allure of prefab housing was the cost savings and quality control of factory built modules.

You'd be better off looking at commercial buildings (Steel Framed). You can get a 30x60 clear span building skeletal structure for under $20K. Then just have a local builder make it look like you want it to with walls, doors and windows for another $100-150K

Modular structure systems are far harder to deal with than a skeletal structure. You can have two story sections, 1 story sections, etc. all within the same structure.

As for buying an existing house, I would not buy anything made after 1950.
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 08-18-2006, 12:21 PM
no limitation as limitation

Yea, I have a big problem with the quality of construction of modern houses. Floor layouts also seem odd. You get a large quantity of rooms but they are small and oddly shaped. At least the 750,00 homes on the golf course by my parents house are like that. My parents paid 250,000 for their house in the 80's and it was just appraised for 800,000. Love that inflation in central Maryland. My dad, being an engineer ensured the quality of construction.

I am fortunate that I already have the land. My uncle owns 30 acres in western Maryland that is divided by a railroad. He has no desire to build on the lower half so he offered it to me as a graduation/wedding gift. To add to that all the men on my mother’s side are carpenters. Granted they are drunken Irishmen who cuss more then they sleep, but they do the job right, and they take pride in their art. if i had the construction done by the family the lv would only cost around 120,000 which isn't bad for a 4100sq/ft home. the estimate they gave me was to have their crew put up the structure.

Last edited by Matthewmongan; 08-18-2006 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:42 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
The lv building specs are actually pretty good. Better than a standard stick built house. The one thing I would shy away from is downspouts inside the wall. Their design fees are the going rate for Architect services so you could consider using a local firm. There is nothing patented about their system, and knowledge of the site the building is going on is important.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 08-18-2006, 12:55 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewmongan
To add to that all the men on my mother’s side are carpenters. Granted they are drunken Irishmen who cuss more then they sleep, but they do the job right, and they take pride in their art.
Then you have 95% of the battle already won. I'd pick a drunk, Irish carpenter over a sober union guy any time

Sounds like building is definitely the right choice for you. I'm discouraged by the lack of quality lumber these days, so I head towards steel. However, my neighbor is building right now with 100% engineered wood. LVLs and chipboard for everything, including the wall studs. Looks like its going to be straight structure. We'll have to see how it stands up against settling, but I think it will do well.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 08-18-2006, 02:45 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
My Preference

I prefer something like this. It is log using Eastern Aromatic Cedar (like cedar chest type wood).

Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CedarLog2.jpg (55.6 KB, 139 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: