SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 08-16-2006, 08:02 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Messed up family

Well last night my 59 year old mother tells me that she found out that my father has been having an affair for the past two years. He tried to lie to cover it up, and it keeps looking worse and worse. My mom has moved out and is staying at my brothers house. It feels very strange since my dad was always a real stand up guy, and had always told me that "honesty is always the best policy". Well I guess he is human after all, and it is not like I am too mad at him, but it was such a shock to everyone and my mother is pretty upset. They have been married for 35 years. I am stunned and I am not looking forward having that talk with my dad.

On the positive side I talked to my wife about buying another SVX within the next year or two and she said go for it! Ebony, Pearl or Liquid this time.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 08-16-2006, 09:53 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486
Well last night my 59 year old mother tells me that she found out that my father has been having an affair for the past two years. He tried to lie to cover it up, and it keeps looking worse and worse. My mom has moved out and is staying at my brothers house. It feels very strange since my dad was always a real stand up guy, and had always told me that "honesty is always the best policy". Well I guess he is human after all, and it is not like I am too mad at him, but it was such a shock to everyone and my mother is pretty upset. They have been married for 35 years. I am stunned and I am not looking forward having that talk with my dad.
I am truly sorry to hear about your family problem. Fortunately this happened after you were an adult, so the impact will not be as great on you. My parents separated (my father also had a girlfriend) when I was 19, but I had a younger brother and sister who were still in high school and junior high. I'm sure it affected their future relationships. It probably has affected mine.

If you are looking for advice, the best I can give is "be supportive, don't take sides, and keep the lines of communication open." It is hard not to be angry at your father, but there are 3 sides to every story. This affair could just be a "fling" which continued because it was convenient. When forced to choose, he may return to your mom (if she will have him) but it will take a lot of work on both thier parts to salvage the marriage.

If not, divorce is so common these days, consider yourself lucky that you had a stable core family as long as you did.

Good luck either way.

1992 Liquid Silver LSL, >230K -- "Silver Bullet" // dimpled/slotted rotors, SS brakes lines, 5000K HID headlights // TRI-TONE paint
Old 08-17-2006, 08:45 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Thanks, it doesn't seem so bad now that a few days have passed. I mean it could have been something much worse (your country being bombed or cancer, death, etc). Just emotions being stepped on, and real not my problem to fix. (for a change) Thanks for the support and good advise.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 08-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Which manual is "that" in??

Really sorry to hear about this. I've always wondered how someone could keep something secret that long when it involves time away from the house. My father also went through the affair thing, but much shorter period. It's kind of awkward, and I wish you luck on keeping things smooth.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: