Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-08-2002, 08:24 AM
Z-man

Electrical problems/question

Hello!
It's been a while since I've posted. (Too busy playing with my Porsche).....

Anyway, I have an electrical problem with the SVX: During Xmas break, the car was not driven, and the battery died. Once it was charged, some of the electrical items are not working, incluing:
-Fog lights
-Dash clock
-Interior illumination
-CD Player eject
Also: if I press some of the radio buttons, the dash lights will flicker or dim.

I've checked various fuses (the ones in the driver's footwell), but everything has come up clean. Also: this morning the car needed another charge: battery dead again.

Now, two years ago, we experienced the same problem with the car, and the deal stated that there was a short in the illuminated driver's mirror in the visor. (Due to the twisting/pinching that happens over time to the wire) All they did was snip the wires and seal them. I suspect this is may be occurring on the passenger side visor. If that is the case, any suggestions as to where I should cut this connection?

Your help is greatly appreciated: I don't wish to pay another $80.00 for a dealer to replace a fuse and snip two wires!
-Zoltan.
Old 01-08-2002, 08:47 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
This may sound really strange, but try resetting the computer by taking the battery cables off and touching them together. You will see a tiny spark that is the capacitors in various components releasing their stored energy.

I had some strange flashing of dash lights and other electrical anomalies after a battery drain down and resetting the electrical system solved it.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 01-08-2002, 02:29 PM
Z-man

Doug: thanks for the tip. My wife (primary driver of the SVX) was stuck today again, so I'm off to get a new battery, and hunt down the electrical short.

Anyone have an idea about the visor lights causing a short? Or: could it just be time for a new battery?

Thanks again.
-Z.
Old 01-08-2002, 02:45 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Z-man
Doug: thanks for the tip. My wife (primary driver of the SVX) was stuck today again, so I'm off to get a new battery, and hunt down the electrical short.

Anyone have an idea about the visor lights causing a short? Or: could it just be time for a new battery?

Thanks again.
-Z.
The "elbow" of the sun visor pops off (where the visor meets the bracket at the ceiling). That is usually where the wires break. Pop off the elbow and use a small bladed screwdriver to tug the wires out (you'll see them once the elbow cover is removed). Check for bare wires. If you don't see any, tug a little more and check further. If there's no visible sign of wear, yet, you're pretty sure that's still the problem, you can just snip the wires and cover them with a small piece of electrical tape until you decide to re-splice them.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-08-2002, 09:38 PM
Z-man

Ok: it turns out that the Subaru dealer only cut the wires on the driver's side. So, I took care of the passenger's side wires. (thanks Aredubjay: it was straightforward!)

Got a new battery....

Replaced the Clock fuse (seems to be the weak link in the fuse box: probably on purpose)...

And viola: it almost all worked! Except for the fog lights.
So now, I noticed that the wire marked 1.5 Fusible Link (Grey) is broken, and barely connected. I removed it, and without it, the car won't work! I am hoping that if I replace this 'fusible link,' all will be better. OF course I can always just put the two ends together, but that can have disasterous effects: fuses are meant to be blown to save other sensitive components in the car.

Oh: and I couldn't program the dang FOB: is the beeping noise when I'm pressing the FOB button supposed to be "beep" or "beep-beep-beep-beep" (4 beeps real fast). I don't think it's supposed to be 4 beeps, which is what I'm experiencing. But I was able to get into program mode no problem.

So again, thanks for your help. Although it has been a little frustrating, I do enjoy troubleshooting, and much prefer electrical problems over engine and tranny issues. (BTW: I've got that 'tranny-starting-to-go-feelin' )

Will let you know if all this works....
-Z.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:45 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Z, the four beeps means that your security button is still OFF. Push it again so's it blinks and you'll be in security mode. Right now, you're just locking the doors -- no alarm. Once you've turned the security switch on, you'll heare one beep for "Armed" and two beeps for "disarmed."

When I lost my fusible link, it took them a week to get one in, so, in the meantime, I went to Autozone, got a fusible link from there and a couple of solderless spade plugs (the FL comes with stripped ends -- you have to add connectors). Attached the spades to then ends of the fusible link, plugged it in, in place of the original link, and all was well. Of course, I replaced it with OE as soon as I possibly could, even though it was working great. My "emergency" FL now sits in my console, just in case.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-10-2002, 07:55 AM
Z-man

Whoo hoo! I got the fusible link from my local Subbie dealer, popped that puppy in, and all is well! The car starts, I was able to program the FOB, and I'm in business!

The fog lights are not working: I suspect the relay is fried: I'll get do that this afternoon.

Thanks all, for your help! Appreciate it.

Gotta love it when I can fix the problem myself instead of over-paying the dealer.

-Zoltan.