How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-03-2003, 01:52 PM
cargamer03

car has no power in the early morning

well everyday for the last week i have gotten up for work in the oh so early hours and when i start the car i usually let it sit for a couple of minutes as i have to scrape the ice off the windshield. when i start to drive the car feels like im driving a manual and am trying to start in 3 or fourth gear. it wont rev fast at all and it takes me about 20-30 seconds before i even reach the speed limit. the car seems to do fine once it warms up. could this be a transmission control problem or something with the engine. i just had the water pump, timing gear, tensioner pully and idler gear replaced last week. could there be a problem with these. i was going to take it in again to have the tranny and cv boots looked at anyway and was wondering if i should have the guys at work take a look at something else as well. hopefully someone here has experience this before and knows what to do or look for.
thanks
jon
Old 11-03-2003, 02:05 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Mine does this too.... personally, I like it. I'm glad it does it. Revving your engine while the oil is still cold is a VERY BAD thing to do, and the fact that it acts like a 'slug' when its cold prevents that from happening. Besides, it only does that for like 2 minutes on my car anyway.

- Rob
Old 11-03-2003, 02:07 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
This isn't normal at all and is probably symptomatic of wider problems which will manifest themselves in other ways eventually.

Does the car idle okay?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-03-2003, 02:21 PM
cargamer03

the car idles right at 750 for 90 percent of the time. i would like to be able to drive slow like you said but its hard when i merge into the highway at 20 mph and i feel like im driving my old honda, which by the way i was more than happy to give away for the svx. i guess that i will have to get up even earlier to let the car warm up for 10 minutes or so.
thanks
jon
Old 11-03-2003, 02:23 PM
cargamer03

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
Mine does this too.... personally, I like it. I'm glad it does it. Revving your engine while the oil is still cold is a VERY BAD thing to do, and the fact that it acts like a 'slug' when its cold prevents that from happening. Besides, it only does that for like 2 minutes on my car anyway.

- Rob

i usually am good about not reving it but its hard to go any where when the car sits at 2000 rpms for ever it seems without any juice. i just hope i don't forget about it some time and pull out infront of some one thinking that i can accelerate faster and they hit me.
thanks
jon
Old 11-03-2003, 02:33 PM
Porter

That's a weird one. Sounds like an 02 sensor problem, but since you say you just had work done on the car, it's possible something was reinstalled incorrectly.

Let's hope it's not a mechanical timing problem from the timing belt installation... I know the newer cars will actually smooth the idle back out with crazy ignition timing changes even if the mechanical valve timing is off.

You need to take the car back to the shop that worked on it and have them recheck their work.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:57 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
It sounds like mine when it had a leak in the MAF sensor, but, mine didn't smooth out.

Could be the plastic duct from the MAF to the Intake -- could be cracked. Cold air constricting the duct could cause the crack to be open, then, the car warms up and the crack closes (this happened to one member, nearly drove 'em nuts 'til they found the problem).

Also, I don't know if Colorado does the "gasoline switch" like some states do, but, sometimes the so called "clean gas" causes similar symptoms.

There's also a TSB for 92's regarding Gasoline Volitility and cold engine starts -- there was a ROM chip upgrade that was supposed to get rid of this on 92's.
http://members.tripod.com/quick_svx/.../42749371.html

And, yes, let's hope it wasn't a "bung up" on the timing belt. Wouldn't be good.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-03-2003, 08:35 PM
cargamer03

i don't think that it could be a problem with the instalation of the timing belt. i work at the dealership where it was fixed and was there talking with the mechanic that worked on it. he seemed to know what to do and there was not a problem untill the cold weather started. ill take a look at the plastic piping tomorrow if its not freezing again.
thanks
jon
Old 11-03-2003, 09:23 PM
The Molinator

Question When it warms up, then it's OK!

This sounds suspiciously like the type of intermittent problems we're discussing on the thread: "sputtering and jerky idle". Check it out.

Is it intermittent?
Is there rough idling?
Is there no response to acceleration sometimes?
Does it last just for a few minutes?

We'll have to compare notes further!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 11-03-2003 at 09:27 PM.