How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-06-2003, 03:12 AM
6evil9

Exclamation SVX without MAF sensor?!!!

hi everyone just experienced 1 thing... i was cleaning the contacts of maf sesor then forgot to plug it in... and started car

yeah it started up and worked exactly as it did with the sensor
but check engine light was on.. (i drove 30 kms without the sensor lols, then remembered bout unplugged MAF)

i think its pretty cool, considering that car stalls when u pull the connector out

so the question is , what readings ecu gets? or just uses its intelligent guess from rpms and tps?

Old 10-06-2003, 10:19 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: SVX without MAF sensor?!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by 6evil9
hi everyone just experienced 1 thing... i was cleaning the contacts of maf sesor then forgot to plug it in... and started car

but check engine light was on.. (i drove 30 kms without the sensor lols, then remembered bout unplugged MAF)

i think its pretty cool, considering that car stalls when u pull the connector out

so the question is , what readings ecu gets? or just uses its intelligent guess from rpms and tps?

It's probably 'guessing' or using stored data. If you run the car without the sensor a few times, it'll register an MAF fault and tell you about it.

I forgot to plug in the MAF on my Toyota pickup once and it would die soon after starting. The SVX's ECU is apparently more capable, being able to 'limp' the car home instead of being disabled by one faulty sensor.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-06-2003, 01:46 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
mine dies...
phil
Old 10-06-2003, 02:17 PM
Green1995SVX

mine also will not run with the maf unplugged
Old 10-06-2003, 05:28 PM

Registered SVX
Re: SVX without MAF sensor?!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by 6evil9

Sergi,

I wonder if you may have inadvertently found your problem and this is an indication that your MAF could be faulty ?

First you should make sure the element is clean. Remove the unit to get at it a spray with CRC and gently wipe or brush away any deposit.

You can check it electrically as follows : -

With a voltmeter connected one side to engine ground i.e. negative. Insert a probe into the back of the plug while it is connected to the MAF. Take measurements at each of the four connected plug terminals on the MAF and you should be able to measure on separate connected terminals ---

Ignition on engine stopped. 10 -- 13 volts. : 0 -- 0.3 v. : 0 v. : 0 v. (there is a negative and ground connection.)

Engine running. 13 -- 14 v. : 0.8 -- 1.2 v. : 0 v. : 0 v.

You ARE a tryer so keep at it ! Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-08-2003, 03:47 AM
6evil9

heeh

now im gonna have fun

lols yeah ok ill check my maf on da weekend

and yes svx runs as well as it could without maf, not sure bout petrol consumption... well u say it dies? yes it does, start the engine again and it will work

anyways

and yes, cleaning TPS actually helped, car is smoother now, still got something wrong but way smoother, actually b4 cleaning TPS , when i checked the resistance, it was far from smoth changes... which made me to wounder, how the hell it still goes...

lols(that pcv breathing hose still unpluged as cant find anything to replace with, and damn subaru says 50 bucks and 2 weeks wait..) but i can get oil high pressure hose for 20 bucks a meter...

Trevor, do you know anything about those hoses and where i can find them apart from subaru