How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2002, 03:08 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Post The "Official" SVX World Network (sorry, very long)

You may remember, some time ago, I posted a call for all "serious minded" SVXers who were interested in an "official" club. A few of you responded, for which I am eternally grateful. Some of you weren't here and some of you weren't really interested, which is okay.

The few who responded got together in a private forum and began to create "The SVX World Network" in earnest. Officers and a board of directors have been elected by vote of those who responded to the call for "serious minded" folks. Officers and board members are as follows:

President -- Randy Johnson (aredubjay)
Vice-President -- Doug Mohr (mohrds)
Secretary -- Bill Moore (svxter)
Treasurer -- Steve Syck (Stevebsy)

There are 3 "at large" board positions. The following three people were elected to hold those positions:

Nick Owens (Mr. Pockets)
Troy Billett (MacGyver)
James Dunne (Jamsvx)

Chris Townsend is Owner/Admin of SVX Network Forums.

How does the "official" Network differ from the Forums?

The SVX World Network is, for lack of better terms, a "car club" and will operate as such. Though we consider the Network Forums our "Home" so to speak, we are separate entities. Where the "twist" comes, is that though we are separate entities, one of the functions of the SVX World Network will be to help keep the SVX World Network Forums going (a portion of dues going to provide financial support to Chris Townsend for equipment upkeep, bandwidth expenses, etc.).

Otherwise, the functions of the SVX World Network, will be to promote and preserve the SVX Marque, work toward creating interest in keeping ample parts supplies, despite depleting stores, to serve as a clearing house for information regarding meets and important information via a newsletter, overall support of members in whatever way we can, and, basically, building numbers to show people that we are unified in our support and fanaticism for the SVX -- among other things, of course.

We have had our first board meeting in which we've made some decisions. One of those decisions was to pursue "bona fide" 501 (c)(3) status (non-profit organization). We are still discussing the amount we will ask for dues. We want to make it affordable for the starving college student, but, be sure to charge enough to cover expenses of the Network Forums, Newsletter, Member "trinkets" etc. We are seriously studying how we will be able to truly benefit our members and to raise the SVX from a status of "Bastard Stepchild" to full fledged "Damned neat car worth of recognition" status. We realize that we will have our work cut out for us, but, we are determined to push till something gives, or we give out and fall on our faces.

We certainly hope, that, when the time comes, and the call for memberships is open, you will join us as an official member and help us in our quest.

Before that time comes, we have some immediate needs that must be met. Not the least of which is keeping the Network Forums going.

Chris and I spoke (via chat) just the other day and I asked about increased traffic since the Yahoo exodus. He sent me a report. Here's what's happened in the last year: We have gone from 13,840 Daily hits in April 2001 to 47,926 Daily Hits as of March. 20 2002. Monthly hits have gone from 415,207 in April 2001 to 958,524 Monthly Hits as of March 20, 2002. We broke a million hits for the month, in February and will exceed a million in March. We have gone from 1,852,035 KBytes usage to 5,054,942 in that same period of time. Those of you in admin, I'm sure, are aware of the impact of this kind of traffic. All this, from a server in a fellow's bedroom, held together with nothing but fanaticism and determination.

Even though Chris has been out of work for some time, he has continued to bear all the expense of this endeavor, including equipment, bandwidth costs, maintenence, aggrivation, etc (aside from occasional donations of monies and equipment which have been drops in the bucket compared to Chris' selfless sacrifice). He has continually called upon friends to donate their skills and to work behind the scenes to keep these forums going. As the "official" SVX World Network, we want to do something to ease Chris' burden, financially, which, I'm sure contributes to a certain amount of stress, which he doesn't need either.

Chris informs me that the server is nearly taxed beyond capacity and we may have few options, if we are to keep the forums going: Allow the system to run its course, clogging the pipeline for everyone, or, cease accepting new accounts. Otherwise, we're going to need some serious upgrades. The Network wants to help supply the upgrades, since the first two options are unacceptable.

We will also be incurring some legal expenses, once we begin pushing our 501 (c)(3) through the beaurocratic mire.

Our delimma is this: until we are able to begin gathering membership dues, we cannot buy a stick of gum, much less help upgrade the forums or pursue our "papers" for non-profit status.

All of these factors have driven us to make an appeal for start-up capital from whomever feels comfortable in providing it. First of all, we do not want anyone to feel obligated to "donate to the cause." If you feel comfortable in doing so, we would appreciate it. Any amount, large or small, will be appreciated. Though we will not be able to offer anything "tangible" to those who contribute, you will have our undieing grattitude and the satisfaction of knowing you have helped to keep the Network Forums going (and banner ad free) and that you have contributed to the creation of the official SVX Club that has been too long in coming. Contributors, however, will be kept on a special list and will receive recognition at a later date (amounts, of course, will be kept confidential).

I am confident that we have elected members to our board who are people of integrity and will not misuse any of the funds that are entrusted to us, and I hope you feel the same way. This is not the preferred way of "coming out of the gate," but, after discussion, we decided it was the only way to secure the needed capital to kick things off. We hope to be up and running, full speed, by the 10th Anniversary meet in July.

So, that's our appeal. If you wish to donate, send funds to:

SVX World Network
Address has been changed - look for it in another thread.

Our treasurer is also in the process of setting up a paypal account for those who prefer the convenience of online transactions. We'll post the address soon.

If you have questions, or concerns, please feel free to e-mail me at my Network address: aredubjay@subaru-svx.net

Thank you in advance for your contributions, but, thank you, most of all, for just being a part of the Network.

Randy
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by ensteele; 12-12-2004 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-22-2002, 04:54 PM
SoCal SVXer

Send a message via ICQ to phoenix96 Send a message via AIM to phoenix96 Send a message via Yahoo to phoenix96
Once the PayPal account is up, I will be happy to donate what I can.
Old 03-22-2002, 05:15 PM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
RDub, I love the idea of this. I talked to Doug and Lwin at our little mini meet in chicago about this. I will be willing to donate money once the paypal account is set up. I will also join in membership as the time comes.

Great idea, and i'm sure it will work out with the great bunch of people here.

P.S. you guys have probably already discussed it enough, but may i suggest around $5-10 a month? I dont know how far off that is, but i pay $10 a month just to play a stupid online computer game. So I would definately be willing to pay that to join in on a great soon to be club.

Overall Opinion:
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 03-22-2002, 05:28 PM
Boone

I'll do Paypal and be a member too. But we gotta have funny hats and a secret handshake 'tho.
Boone (workin' my secret decoder ring)
Old 03-22-2002, 07:59 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

Randy & some others know how I feel about paying dues to an organization. A wise older gentleman who was responsible for hiring salesmen for a company I once worked for, said to his regional manager. "When you pay peanuts, you get monkeys". In other words you can't expect quality from unqualified personnel who will settle for a low wage. See what "free" gets us? - Eternal pop-up ads.

An evening at the movies for two:

Park the car - $5.00 (OK, this ain't New York pricing).
Two $8.00 tickets - $16.00
Two soft drinks - $6.00
One super sized popcorn - $5.00
Butter for popcorn - $1.00
Gas - Yes,(from popcorn)

Thirty-three bucks & I'll bet you already forgot the plot to the movie, 'cause all you can think of is how much you spent to hear the wife/date/significant other say "That flick really sucked".

A daily visit to The Network:

1. Listen to Aredub's latest tranny fiasco, with hourly updates.
2. Will LarryIII ever find the perfect pearlie?
3. Can Leo find happiness with a Honda Civic?
4. Will anyone ever REALLY solve the "visor problem"?

Now THIS is entertainment, folks, and it's worth every nickle we pour into it. Let's pass the collection plate.
Amen, Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 03-22-2002, 08:24 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Well Randy, I'd say pass the hat at the Reading meet and see how much we can get! Just make sure it's a yellow one!
Old 03-22-2002, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Talking PAYPAL is up! Send money now :)

Ok...I just setup the paypal account and here it is:

Go here first and signup/login:
http://www.paypal.com

Send the donation to this addresss:
paypal@subaru-svx.net

Please put your screenname somewhere in the notes
so we know who you are

Thanks for your donations. I will give an occasional report of totals.

Also remember, you can send money to the PO box listed at the top of the thread if you don't want to use Paypal.

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com

Last edited by Stevebsy; 03-25-2002 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-22-2002, 11:38 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Zeppelin
Well Randy, I'd say pass the hat at the Reading meet and see how much we can get! Just make sure it's a yellow one!
If it'll help the Network, make it bright yellow. BRING IT ON!!

Thank you all. Youse guyz is great!! (In honor of Larry's Uncle Bruno).
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-23-2002, 05:02 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Randy,

Rather than post that "The check's in the mail"; I'll give you a check at the Reading iii Meet.

Larry (2 SVXes, 1 Outback, 1 New York Woman, no job)iii
PS: Uncle Bruno wants to contribute. He wants to know how to make bones wid ya'. He will even let us use his personal accounting firm, Dewey, Cheatem, & Howe.
Old 03-23-2002, 09:08 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

An evening at the movies for two:

Park the car - $5.00 (OK, this ain't New York pricing).
Two $8.00 tickets - $16.00
Two soft drinks - $6.00
One super sized popcorn - $5.00
Butter for popcorn - $1.00
Gas - Yes,(from popcorn)

Thirty-three bucks & ...

Amen, Ron.
Or how about two full tanks of premium at $1.50/gal?
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 03-23-2002, 05:52 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
Randy,

Rather than post that "The check's in the mail"; I'll give you a check at the Reading iii Meet.

Larry (2 SVXes, 1 Outback, 1 New York Woman, no job)iii
PS: Uncle Bruno wants to contribute. He wants to know how to make bones wid ya'. He will even let us use his personal accounting firm, Dewey, Cheatem, & Howe.

Larry, One New York Woman + No Job, usually = trouble.

I knew I could count on uncle Bruno. I figured if he didn't contribute bucks, he'd at least let us use a few of "his boys" to "persuade" people to donate.

Thanks, Larry. You're da best.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-23-2002, 07:23 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
premium gas at $1.50/gal? We're paying $1.65!
Seriously, count me in on club dues, I think it's definitely worth it, for at least the comradery!

-Michelle

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 03-23-2002, 07:46 PM

Price of Gas

You think $1.65 gallon is expensive for gas try paying $0.80\litre with approx 4 litres in an imperial gallon (I believe a U.S. gallon is a bit smaller)and an exchange rate of approx $1.65 cdn for every $1.00 US.It can really take a bite out of the wallet.
Even though I currently am SVXless I enjoy coming to this site and would be more than willing to contribute. Unfortunately I will have to get a US money order and send it via snail mail.
PS still looking to replace my SVX for a cheap one that needs some work (By cheap I am talking $1000-$1500 US, I know it may be unrealistic but we all need to have a dream ). If anyone can help don't be shy.

Keith
Old 03-23-2002, 09:19 PM
alacrity024

some Club ideas..

Okay, if we're going to be a "real" club then there is a truly extensive list of things we should do.

First of all is a physical newsletter which could be distributed monthly, quarterly, yearly.. whatever. Something that the members can hold in their hands and feel good about. Some tech articles, some pictures, etc. etc.

Also, SOA likely has a list of all current SVX owners. I'm sure they'd be willing to give up said information once we're official. This club currently represents a small handful of the 10,000+ SVX owners in the US.

If you like the newsletter idea, I'd be more than willing to help lay it out and possibly even print it. There's a print shop in my town and I could easily make the first issue an assignment for my Graphic Production class.. I'd need at least three writers to work with me though.

Let me know what you think

-Adam
Old 03-23-2002, 10:23 PM
Ennui

Okay, if we're going to be a "real" club then there is a truly extensive list of things we should do.

> First of all is a physical newsletter which could be distributed
> monthly, quarterly, yearly.. whatever. Something that the
> members can hold in their hands and feel good about. Some
> tech articles, some pictures, etc. etc.

Not to shoot that idea down, as it were; but I'd rather just get something in my e-mail Inbox. Maybe make this an option for new members? That could potentially cut down on expenses and conserve money for other functions as well. I do agree with you, though, a lot of people like to be able to hold something in their hands. Maybe even give out certificates to members?