Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 04-15-2004, 11:49 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Agreed. Plus the new '04 WRXs have the restyled body that looks waaaaay better than the SRT-4s.

-Chike

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
WRX = less than $23k. i'll pay the extra for AWD and some build quality.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-15-2004, 02:03 PM
not just a fan, a Member!

good points good point....
i didn't realize the srt-4 is under 20k too!
does that only come in 4 doors?

i also agree that if an wrx can be had for under 23k that people in the market should definitely borrow that extra 3k for the wrx....

but that doesn't detract me from my original point, that the redline is the first saturn i've liked...
mrspyder: gotta have a drop top in cali...

always looking for a reliable 5spd svx...
Old 04-15-2004, 07:33 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Dunno. It depends. WRX vs SRT4... SRT4 is a bit faster.... and gets better mpg... and is probably cheaper to insure... and probably feels a bit more 'nimble', though I'm sure the WRX's awd would feel more stable. Of course, with AWD you have more parts to service.. twice as many halfshafts, etc... I'd say it's pretty close. I agree that the WRX is a better overall car, but the SRt4 is pretty neat. Smaller. More power. From the factory, it's a bit sportier than the WRX.

- Rob
Old 04-15-2004, 08:00 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally posted by subafan
good points good point....

i also agree that if an wrx can be had for under 23k that people in the market should definitely borrow that extra 3k for the wrx....

but that doesn't detract me from my original point, that the redline is the first saturn i've liked...
2.5RS

i like the two door, but you can check this out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...473520154&rd=1
Old 04-15-2004, 08:04 PM
not just a fan, a Member!

maybe rob can comment on this... (actually he probably will anyways... hehe) but the wrx's awd probably gives the owner more security over the winter than a srt-4 (especially wisconsin winters), although front wheel drive vehicles are certainly capable to handle quite well in the snow too. (srt-4 is front wheel drive right?)
mrspyder: gotta have a drop top in cali...

always looking for a reliable 5spd svx...
Old 04-15-2004, 08:08 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
I'd rather have an AWD car in the winter, it's the reason I bought my SVX. .. though I admit having AWD in the summer is kinda lame. Poor MPG... probably leeches HP and torque, not to mention all the extra weight you have to drag around. >shrug<

- Rob
Old 04-15-2004, 08:09 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
I'd rather have an AWD car in the winter, it's the reason I bought my SVX. .. though I admit having AWD in the summer is kinda lame. Poor MPG... probably leeches HP and torque, not to mention all the extra weight you have to drag around. >shrug<

- Rob
depends on if you play in dirt or gravel in the summer

not lame if you do
Old 04-16-2004, 10:15 AM
alacrity024

in the defense of saturns..

my roommate has a dinky little 4-door saturn sedan that she lets me drive whenever i'm working at her resturaunt and she needs a delivery taken somewhere.. it's got an automatic transmission and probably about a 2.0 liter motor, but GOOD GOD that thing hauls ass!! it's amazing! it's one of the peppiest cars i've driven.. it corners like a champ, you can take your hands off the wheel and it'll track straight & true for 5 minutes, provided you've got enough road.. i really don't know why it feels as ballsy as it does, but MAN the thing is fun to drive.

could be all that plastic body paneling adds up to a significant weight savings..

what if the weight difference between the redline and the SRT-4 was enough to make them equals?
Old 04-16-2004, 10:31 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024

what if the weight difference between the redline and the SRT-4 was enough to make them equals?
srt4 would still be fastAr
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:42 AM

The SRT-4 will be faster...but both are easy to mod. Since the Ion Redline uses a S/C, all an onwer needs to add is a chip and pulley kit, and more than 50+hp could be generated.

That's the beauty of blown/turbo'd engines!

Old 04-16-2004, 10:45 AM

Actually....

the 2003 SRT-4 sold for under 20K, but the '04 model sells for under 21K (1k price increase due to the addition of more hp and a limited slip diff).

Either way, the SRT-4 has good bang-for-the-buck value!

BTW, I've seen stock SRT-4's run 13.7-13.9 at the drag strip. Their owners tend to be pretty cool and laid back...and I shoot the **** with them for hours!

-Chike

Quote:
Originally posted by subafan

Old 04-16-2004, 04:49 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Noir

depends on if you play in dirt or gravel in the summer

not lame if you do
don't forget rain.

the SRT-4 looks kinda ugly, ditto with the Saturn. both are good values, if they manage to stay together for a few thousand miles. i pray that the WRX/STi doesn't get the 'B11S' styling treatment, or i will put it in the ugly column as well and be looking elsewhere when its time to buy a car in the future.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 04-16-2004, 05:14 PM
Certified Porschephile

The WRX is way out in front of those two, but if I had a choice of the SRT-4 vs The Red Line, I'd go SRT-4 all the way. Both have things that anoy me to great lengths. The SRT-4 has power front windows, and wind up rears. The Red Line has the totally stupid center guage cluster. DUMB. If the base WRX was $26k and these were $19-20k I'd see it. But at $23k vs $20k, it's a no-brainer.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:10 PM

Agreed. If you could afford the payment on a 20K car, you could afford it on a 23K car.

I'd go for the base WRX - and for $400 add a boost controller, intake and boost gauge - and run mid to low 13's all day while the Ion Redline and SRT-4 boys struggle for traction leaving the line.

-Chike

Quote:
Originally posted by PA_SVX
But at $23k vs $20k, it's a no-brainer.

Old 04-18-2004, 03:07 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Nothing you haven't heard before, but for those who actually pay attention...

The Ion Redline is just the start. So relax, there will be alot more to come. Yeah it's not up to the SRT-4...nor do they claim it to be. There will be a Cobalt variant to take care of the SRT-4. Saturn is a value/dependability marque, not a performance marque...so most of the real power is going to come out of Chevy/Pontiac variants. Alot of Saturn owners don't even bother checking out the competition, cause they are confident that for their money there is nothing better out there. Perhaps the people that bought redlines have owned neons before and know better than to buy another one. Especially a high-strung turbo model. Just a guess. Or maybe they've owned Subarus and are dead tired of draining their bank accounts to pay for stupid little repairs. Even the SC Ion remains a dirt cheap car to own...plus now it can hang with all but the most extreme competitive factory offerings. It's all a matter of what you like, in the end, but there's some ideas to consider.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkid
Agreed. If you could afford the payment on a 20K car, you could afford it on a 23K car.

I'd go for the base WRX - and for $400 add a boost controller, intake and boost gauge - and run mid to low 13's all day while the Ion Redline and SRT-4 boys struggle for traction leaving the line.

-Chike
What you probably didn't think of was the fact that the majority of people who buy these cars could afford, at most, a payment on an 18k car...but ended up buying a 20k car...which means the 23k car is not an option.

Last edited by Shadow248; 04-18-2004 at 03:10 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: